The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Pubes125
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.

Post by Pubes125 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:08 am

After installed Joomla v.3.6 I got this error and I don't know what it's mean that is not supported.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.

Post by leolam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:28 am

You have 2 folders that are not writable (Apache owned) The 'administrator/cache" and the folder "cache" are not writable. So, in order to fix the problem the permissions and the ownership on those folders need to be made it writable. So contact you host and request intervention

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Pubes125
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pubes125 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 am

Thank you!!! Leo.

nelsonelson
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nelsonelson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 am

I have the same problem. I have changed the permissions on the "administrator/cache" and "cache" folders but I am still getting the same error message.
Are there other permissions I need to look at?

Many thanks!

csthomas
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by csthomas » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:24 pm

It is depend who run php process and what "group" access is set in cache directory.

Check what access has tmp/ forlder in joomla directory. Cache should have the same access right.

You may add "write" access to owner, if that not help then add "write" access to group and if that not help then you can change group to ex. apache.

To test if everything go ok
Go to /administrator/index.php?option=com_admin&view=sysinfo in tab Folder Permission.

griiettner
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by griiettner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:25 pm

In my case, because the cache directory was in the .gitignore, when I deployed the update, the folder did not come... as a result I got the same error... The solution was to create the `cache` folder again everything looks fine now

orloxgr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orloxgr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:19 pm

i had no cache directory at /administrator so I made one and problem gone

sglazier
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sglazier » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:09 am

Tried all of the above with no luck. Both cache directories set to drwxrwxrwx. apache apache. How do I find out what user the php process runs as? I assumed it would be apache.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:38 am

Enter ps -ef|grep apache in your shell. The first field is the owner, in my case www-data.

EDIT: Sorry first field instead of second, might depend on your shell/server.
Maybe you can use the Forum Post Assistant mentioned at the top. It provides the information you need.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

joserangel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joserangel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:28 pm

leolam wrote:You have 2 folders that are not writable (Apache owned) The 'administrator/cache" and the folder "cache" are not writable. So, in order to fix the problem the permissions and the ownership on those folders need to be made it writable. So contact you host and request intervention

Leo 8)
The simplicity of your answer allowed me to solve the problem in 3 minutes!
I´m just starting with this powerfull plataform (I was used to Wordpress but wanted to...evolve, I think) and in my very first installation had this issue (the client has a bad hosting, aswell).
Thank you VERY MUCH.

hrx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hrx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:28 am

I installed XAMPP on Ubuntu. It is located in /opt/lampp. I also installed joomla site in /opt/lampp/htdocs/site

When I tried to access my web site I got an error Error displaying the error page: The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.

When I make cache /administrator/cache chmod 777 I can access the site.

ps -ef | grep apache gives:
user 3105 32496 0 10:26 pts/4 00:00:00 grep --color=auto apache

Am I the owner of apache process? And root is an owner of /opt/lampp/htdocs/site. How should site folder rights be configured? Sould I search for xampp process owner or simillar?

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 am

We can't say because the output you reported doesn't show the apache processes. It only shows the second part (grep) of your statement.
The other processes should also have 3105 in the second column or 32496 in the third. That would allow for 755 or 775.
This does assume apache is configured to use apachehandler, preferred is some sort of FCGI. When you don't want to change that you may enable the Joomla FTP Layer.

Don't think root as owner of site is a good idea. Anything else should be fine, obvious choices are 'user' or the user apache runs as.

When there are no other processes either apache is not running or try http instead of apache.

nurx_isa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nurx_isa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:44 am

:) wow brilliant! thanks a lot orloxgr :geek:

nurx_isa
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by nurx_isa » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:46 am

orloxgr wrote:i had no cache directory at /administrator so I made one and problem gone
:) wow brilliant! thanks a lot orloxgr :geek:

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:26 pm

havu2701 wrote:
leolam wrote:You have 2 folders that are not writable (Apache owned) The 'administrator/cache" and the folder "cache" are not writable. So, in order to fix the problem the permissions and the ownership on those folders need to be made it writable. So contact you host and request intervention

Leo 8)
Pls clearly explain, because i have same error
For such a clear statement consider it inappropriate to request clear explanation. You should clearly state what part you don't understand.

Sounds like you are missing something quite basic: Your webserver needs those folders and have write access to them.
Check System->System Information->Folder permissions in the backend. They should be writable!

JeriMaier
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JeriMaier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am

Thank you! It works now!

OZee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by OZee » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

I have same cache problem. I changed the permissions on both folders (allow for 775) but I still get this error.
I don't understand why it works for you but for me why not...

Could you help me?

Vlad17
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vlad17 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 pm

OZee wrote: I changed the permissions on both folders (allow for 775) but I still get this error.

Could you help me?

The usual cause why a folder is not writable by Joomla is that a folder owner is an ftp user and the web server has no rights to write to this folder as long as folder permissions are not set to 777. It may happen for example when php is run as Apache module. To get rid of this problem you may want to configure php to run in CGI/FastCGI mode and use SuEXEC. In this case Apache will be able to work with your folders as an ftp user even permissions are standard 755.
There are other ways of course but anyway what you need is to make web server run your php scripts, i.e. Joomla, from the name of an ftp user, 777 is not recommended from security reasons. Cheers.

eliteeservices
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eliteeservices » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Any thread that has detailed instructions? I can't solve this issue, I know what the problem is though. We are using AWS installation as an image on Ubuntu - can access SSH have tried cmoding /tmp and /cache folders - that doesn't solve the problem. Error message is as follows:

An error has occurred.
0 The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.
Elite E Services, Inc.
http://www.eesfx.com EES FX
http://startvector.com Dealer SEO and Internet Marketing

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:19 pm

eliteeservices wrote:Any thread that has detailed instructions? I can't solve this issue, I know what the problem is though. We are using AWS installation as an image on Ubuntu - can access SSH have tried cmoding /tmp and /cache folders - that doesn't solve the problem. Error message is as follows:

An error has occurred.
0 The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform.
I am running in to the same thing. I am also using an AWS server but running Centos 7. If someone could please provide specific, step-by-step instructions, it would be appreciated very much. I realize the ownership and permissions need to be set correctly but with an AWS server that is using a KEY file for authentication it is perplexing me quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:41 am

It is still a Unx issue and you need to use SSH to set the correct ownership and permissions. So login with SSH and use the following commands

Ownership

Code: Select all

chown -R userxyz public_html
Change the ownership of public_html folder recursively to 'userxyz' (recursively = all in public_html)

Permissions

$ cd /path-to-public_html-folder/public_html
$ find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
$ find -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
That will set the default permissions to the files (644) and to directories (755).

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

leolam wrote:It is still a Unx issue and you need to use SSH to set the correct ownership and permissions. So login with SSH and use the following commands

Ownership

chown -R userxyz public_html
Change the ownership of public_html folder recursively to 'userxyz' (recursively = all in public_html)

Permissions

$ cd /path-to-public_html-folder/public_html
$ find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
$ find -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
That will set the default permissions to the files (644) and to directories (755).

Leo 8)

Thank you for the reply!
I tried what you suggested but it did not work. When I reviewed the files under System --> System Information --> Folder Permissions everything was marked as Unwritable. Upon some further searching I found another thread on the Joomla forum with a post that gave the same information you posted as well as well as one additional line.

sudo chcon -R -t httpd_sys_rw_content_t /path-to-public_html-folder/public_html
After running that, along with everything else, it worked and all of the folders became writable. I must confess though, I haven't the foggiest what that did.

If anyone cares to explain what that did I'm all ears and eager to learn.

Alderin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Alderin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm

That means that your host is running SELinux extensions. chcon is the method to change the SELinux security context of files and folders. Typically, I avoid SELinux, because it adds a whole extra layer of complications like this. However, it does make for more secure systems, and SHOULD be what we move to, so I'm leaving it in.

But... I wouldn't have thought to look there without your post, so thanks!

mkoontz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mkoontz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 am

Alderin wrote:That means that your host is running SELinux extensions. chcon is the method to change the SELinux security context of files and folders. Typically, I avoid SELinux, because it adds a whole extra layer of complications like this. However, it does make for more secure systems, and SHOULD be what we move to, so I'm leaving it in.

But... I wouldn't have thought to took there without your post, so thanks!
Thank you for the information! I did some research on it for my own benefit because I never installed it. Not only that I only installed the basics for LAMP. However I found out that SELinux is installed and enabled in enforcing mode by default with Centos 7 and RHEL. Now it's just one more thing for me to take in to consideration and learn about. Just like you I'm concerned about security as well so I'm going to learn as much as I can about this to use it properly.

I'm glad my post helped you and hopefully it will help others as well.

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I'd like to share a variation on this problem for anyone in the future who might stumble upon it...

Over last weekend a client of mine, who is on AWS with multiple nodes, starting having this error arise intermittently and about half the time. Long story short, their systems department were tweaking performance and ended up with one of their two nodes having different permissions on some directories, the cache directory being one. As we connected the dots, we realized that the intermittent errors arose because 50% of the time a backend user would be on the node that had the wrong permissions. A permissions fix on that node resolved that problem.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

filiberta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by filiberta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello,
I read all the answers, check everything that you comment and I'm still getting the same error. I have a virtual machine that I use as a development server, which has Centos 7 and where I have two or three Joomla 3.6 sites.
Everything was working fine until today when I logged in into one of those site. I changed the title of an article, which was associated to a menu, an when I saved it, I get the error "Save failed with the following error: The file Cache Storage is not supported on this platform." (the article was saved anyways). I thought maybe I corrupted something by making that change, so I tried to clear the joomla's cache and again I get the same error. I checked the database and everything was ok. So I logged in into another joomla site to find out the same problem.

So, in summary:
I have checked database and was ok.
Cache and administrator/cache folders have all the permissions for the owner which is Apache.
According to Joomla (Check System->System Information->Folder permissions) all the folders are writable.
Centos SeLinux is in Permissive mode.
I didn't update Joomla or the Operating System.
Nobody else make chances on that virtual machine, and I have been working on those sites for a few month. I know I'm working on a development server, but I don't want to get the same error on a production one.
Does this look more like a bug?

Thanks a lot for your help I'm really confused.

bangdaihoc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bangdaihoc » Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 am

we , i'm i had no cache directory at /administrator so I made one and problem gone

uaintgotthisid
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by uaintgotthisid » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 pm

I resolved this by editing configuration.php

public $cache_path = '/home/xxxxxx/cache'; was incorrect after transferring it to a new place.

After changing this the "file" option returned in Global Configuration and my site worked again.
Joomla lover, web designer, marketeer
https://www.squareballoon.co.uk
JOIN US at Joomla! User Group London
https://www.joomlalondon.co.uk

AraBera1959
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AraBera1959 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm

orloxgr wrote:i had no cache directory at /administrator so I made one and problem gone
¡Agradezco tu ayuda!. También lo solicioné como lo has hecho. GENIAL. :)

mojito
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mojito » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm

I get this issue but the very weird thing is that it is happening in chrome only and only locally on my machine! I checked all the directories and no issues all setup correctly.
I am a freelance SEO (https://cambs.eu) web designer and developer working with Wordpress and Joomla since Mambo.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”