Please bear with us!!

Reaction to the statement posted on www.opensourcematters.org
evolutionone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Please bear with us!!

Post by evolutionone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:01 am

Well put stingrey, we should all just calmly take it in...

Like everyone, wish this wasn't happening, but support the dev team, and everyone who continues to contribute time, ideas and inspiration.

And like heaps of people we've put our time into building our lives on the back of mambo and other OS projects, and as much as it would be easy if it was plain sailing, we never expect this. As the benefits we all get from mambo are the direct result of someone elses contribution, So they should never be criticized. If People have a problem with how the dev team go about something, all they have to do is dedicate hours and hours to getting up to speed, and quite naturally, you become a leader too.

We've found, like anyone who adds even the smallest contrib or bug to mambo, (and we to date only add very little bits & bugs) that the team is anything but closed.

Its a really simple mode of operating. DO something, contribute something, or use and appreciate what others contribute.

Always an inspiration you guys...

tim, sam, nat,

evolutionone.

damog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by damog » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:32 pm

stingrey wrote: The Mambo Project and now the OSM Project is managed by the Core Team:
Hello, sorry for arriving a little bit late to the thread, but I find this greatly interesting. How are actually core team members elected? How did people get there?

Norgaard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Please bear with us!!

Post by Norgaard » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:27 pm

Of course we can bear with you, because:

The intellectuallity of the mambo project is yours and I just have to mention that with all my respect.
Specially after reading all posts at mamboserver.com concerning this matter. In my earlier days with computers
someone tried to sell out "PHP-NUKE". In this case Miro has just tried some kind of same thing (hijack) or at least something very similar or whatsoever and in a very disgracefull manner, as their passion of greed from 3dp turned into something not easy to describe and I including my team believe that maybe this was the best thing to happen to the project and to get away from Miro once and forever.

We wish you all the best of luck and we support you, despite the fact of a namechange.

Norgaard
Visual Webworld Media, Norway
Last edited by Norgaard on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephenrs
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by stephenrs » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:39 am

i've read a kajillian posts about all this mess, and i could go on and on about some of the detailed issues that have been raised, but what i really think/feel boils down to a few simple thoughts that i'd like to chime in with: i know that the core team has labored over mambo all these years for the pure love of it, and that this difficult recent decision was taken with the best interests of the project in mind. as a code junkie myself, not only do i relate to their passion, but i respect, admire, and trust it. they are responsible for inspiring one of the most enthusiastic and cooperative OS communities of all time, and i completely support them, thank them for what they've created, and wish them (and all of us) the best moving forward. they brought us this far, so i have every reason to believe that the best is ahead - this project is a force of nature...

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:45 am

Rey,
I just posted something in the old *****-forum and realized what has happened. I am very, very shocked to be honest but also not too surprised. I admire deeply the courage of the team after so many, many years, monthes and hours of huge dedication you all have given to the project which defintely must have become an integral part of all your lifes. I pray for all of you and also in the sake of all of us that the steps and the legal consequences can be handled. I also hope that you guys and dolls will be able to manage this emotionally and that you keep together as a team.

Keep up the spirit and may you all be blessed with courage and loads of wisdom in the times ahead. You must known by now already that the Community is behind all of you and not behind the Foundation or Miro. 

Hold on and keep going...We will support!

ex. mamboindo
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Yojo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yojo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi I'm new on this board. I found this link on the Mambo Forum. A good friend recommended Mambo to me. I've installed it and about to create. The issues posted on here are of concern. I'm an end user. I've read through this thread to try and get an understanding of what has taken place. Forgive if this sounds a bit 'duh' but can someone explain in simplistic terms - what is going on?

Cheers..........Yojo  ???
'Do what you can, with what you have, where you are..and do it with joy..'

(Roosevelte and me)

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:45 pm

@Yojo,

Miro started Mambo about 4 years ago, and after a short while changed it to become open source software. As the software, development team and user base has become larger and more established - now winning "best software" awards - some form of structured management was needed. So far, so good.

Miro has recently set up the Mambo Foundation, except it doesn't include the development team (that's simplifying it a great deal) and after much deliberation the development team has decided to take the code and continue to develop it in the true spirit of open source software. The result being this web site and the current brainstorming to come up with a new name for the software as Miro owns the copyright on the name Mambo.

It does mean that while Miro's version will be known as Mambo, they are having to organise a new development team with none of the original people involved. The software that we have all become used to (I only installed it a week ago so am new, like you) will continue but with a new name.

Stick around!

Yojo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Yojo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for the broad strokes Lester - appreciated. I'm sure there are others like me who have stumbled upon this discussion without former awareness of the current situation. I remain concerned.
'Do what you can, with what you have, where you are..and do it with joy..'

(Roosevelte and me)

Bretterwalze
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bretterwalze » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:56 pm

Hi There,
i´m relatively new to *ambo, but when i read the news about the foundation and Miro I understand and support your decision to build up something "new". It´s sad that some people mess up with the community and the idea of Open Source like Miro do. As an Anarchist the idea of Open Source is the most important one for me in Software Development...Keep up the good work (and a smile ;) ), hopefully i can support your work at some time. Thanks for this great CMS!
Last edited by Bretterwalze on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts. That world is growing this minute." (Buenaventura Durruti, spanish anarchist)

Return to “Reaction to the 'Letter to the community'”