Beat Worpdress at their own game - a Joomla WP Extension layer

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
Forum rules
Global Rules
Posting guidelines for this board <-- please read before posting.

Joomla Idea Pool <-- Add your suggestions for future versions of Joomla and vote on current suggestions.
shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Beat Worpdress at their own game - a Joomla WP Extension layer

Post by shoulders » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Currently WordPress has lots more extensions and templates available so a large part of the market goes to WordPress. Joomla is a lot more configurable yet not as much support/market share.

So my proposal is to add a native WordPress Extension layer into Joomla allowing people to use all of the WordPress extensions (most of them) in a joomla site. For this scheme/ploy to work the code would have to be inbuilt into the joomla core or at least an official Joomla extension that is free. Not being stingy but if the extension is not free this idea will not work to attract significant users.

For instance if it only allowed the installation of Woocommecse only, this would make Joomla a lot more attractive to developers and end users, the power of Joomla with Woocommerce.

Now I am not suggestion replacing Joomla extensions with WordPress ones but having them aswell cannot be a bad thing.

I am aware of the paid extension from corePHP https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... for-joomla

thanks

shoulders

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Beat Worpdress at their own game - a Joomla WP Extension layer

Post by itoctopus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Another excellent idea. However, there is a serious problem hindering this...

In order to do that, Joomla must have the WordPress core embedded in its code (Joomla is structured completely differently), which is not a good thing. This means that Joomla will be much slower, will be heavier to maintain, and will be less secure.

I don't see this as an impossible task, but it will be hard to implement and, in the disadvantages are just too many.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm

looking at worpress I assumed most extensions were compartmentalized (almost seperate) and did not do a lot of integration with wordpress core except for menus and users and module positions to display stuff in.

Wordpress = themed container

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 pm

WordPress doesn't use any kind of MVC - it is more or less like spaghetti code, and that explains why there are so much more extensions on WP than on Joomla, not many developers can write real code, but any developer can write spaghetti code (in any language).

I personally have reservations about the JED, nevertheless, I think it is run in a much better way than how the WordPress plugins library is run. The JED has about a few thousand extensions, the WordPress library has 47K plugins (they call any extension a plugin), most of these extensions are really bad. I'm not saying that all of the extensions on the JED at the moment are good, but you get the point...

I don't want to sound like I have a personal vendetta with WordPress (we support both, and the itoctopus website uses WordPress), but Joomla is a better product, and this is a technical fact (if you're a developer you can check the code of both products and judge for yourself). The only place where WordPress is slightly better than Joomla is performance, and I'm saying slightly because it used to be much faster, and this isn't the case anymore.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

shoulders
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shoulders » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:04 pm

I looked at wordpress and decided you cant do half the things you can with joomla out of the box. My main driver for this topic was ecommerce, there are so many shops for joomla and they are not cheap (basic shop is free but if you want anything it will cost you). One of the main drivers for WordPress was woocommerce because it is very well supported and prestashop is going downhill. If you want ecommerce on wordpress there is only one you would pick and I would like the same sort of thing on joomla, less extensions and make the ones left better. The enforced joomla updater policy should help with this.

There are a couple of key areas that need fixing in Joomla ecosystem and then we would see a change in market share as Joomla is by far the better product but is is the end users that need convincing. :)

mbabker
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mbabker » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:22 pm

To make WordPress plugins and themes work in Joomla, you need the WordPress core API. Which would mean shipping its PHP APIs and hacking many files to work with Joomla's application structure (WordPress doesn't use an autoloader to include files; they are mostly just manually included during bootup; proxying WordPress' media enqueuing functions to JDocument, etc.).

It would require refactoring Joomla to be aware of this mixed environment structure. If the request is for a WordPress plugin, how does it get routed when Joomla can't route to anything but components?

Stick to CorePHP's extension if you need that functionality. But honestly it's not a very practical thing to just make WordPress code run on Joomla.

webhostuk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by webhostuk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:04 am

mbabker surely got a valid point here which I feel it quit true while we think of using wp in Joomla.
https://www.webhost.uk.net/joomla-hosting.html | Best UK Joomla Hosting!
http://www.webhost.US.Com | Best US Joomla Hosting
One click auto installer for Joomla

Galleri
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Galleri » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Not bad, not bad at all. Seems like a pretty good idea. There are some issues to take into concideration, but they are all pointed out in the answers above.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”