Remove article id from url for joomla 3.0

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Remove article id from url for joomla 3.0

Post by emeyer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 pm

It appears the problem persists, despite sharing code towards fixing the problem. What I originally pointed out is that the url:

http://mysite.com/54

still displays any article with id 54, rather than redirecting to any content or menu alias. Additionally, the changes to joomla for 3.3 have also stopped the code I shared to fix this problem from working, and it also appears that sefwizard is a paid component. Basically this is saying that an independent coder now cannot add anything to Joomla to fix its current problems that is not coded out of functionality by someone else with a few months, while still not providing any working solution in the platform; and this problem has become increasingly pervasive in the last three years. In fact, in many respects, the platform has gone backwards. there's now three different libraries totaling >200K without any real version control that are also increasingly difficult to remove if not wanted. Good work on the original components are cast by the wayside as 'too old' with no effort to maintain support for them because they do not use the current libraries. Basic features like geshi code syntax highlighting are removed with promise of superior replacement by the new libraries, now for over five years. Content pagination, which has been there for over 12 years now, is still not SEF'ed either. There is still no way in the platform to update an individual article without flushing the entire page cache, or to provide selective page caching. There is no way to do any selective cache flush at all, although the original idea is very clever and well made, it just is not scalable to a large site. And I find others are having the same problem that adding a large article causes the administration interface to stall because so many extra bits have been shoved into it over the years, and the only way to add large articles is to insert them into the database directly. This rather defeats the entire purpose of having a 'content management' system at all, however good all the extensions are at making tiny sites with glitzy pages, and getting ads to buy new versions, it's just not really a 'content management,' its 'vendor management.' Despite the immense improvements in HTML5, CSS, and drag-and-drop plugins, here is still no simple way to put together a template, and most of the free template sites have vanished because it is so difficult to make a working template at all, no one wants to do it for free--including me, although I do get requests for my template over the transom about once a month, there is just no way I could support customers without half a dozen engineers.

while I am very grateful for the open-source platform, it appears to me the point has been reached where there are too many people with different vested commercial interests in there being continued problems, as with happened with Mambo. It is time for a new system from the ground up that builds on the lessons learned and which minimizes the multiple competing technologies which have in aggregate turned Joomla into an increasingly intractable 40MB conflict of interest.

That all may seem out of place, but the only reason I had to upgrade to joomla 3.6.5 was for this new SEF functionality, and I had received several emails over the last six months from Joomla boasting this new feature. While I was very impressed with the comparative ease of upgrade, I find the only thing that has really changed is more vendors in it saying I can buy new upgrades. So I was very disappointed, especially as my own SEF code no longer works, and thus is now, as you may see, not something I am going to bother trying to fix.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Joomla 3.6 has a new router which should address this, alpha 2 is already released as seen on Joomla.org. I suspect that it will be stable by sometime in April. As for now, attached is a modded router.php file that removes article ID's. Simply unzip it, go to:
site/components/com_content
and replace the router.php with the one attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emeyer
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by emeyer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Well I am glad to hear efforts continue undaunted, although you will have to count me out for reasons explained, it doesnt mean I have any ill will to you, and best wishes for your future )

Flayologist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Flayologist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:39 pm

im using Joomla 3.6.5 and still have ID's, is there any new news on this? I thought this was going to be worked out by 3.5 ??? :(

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:51 am

Due to technical issues they had to set the new router for Joomla 3.6. Ideally J3.6 gets released within two months, but this means that we need testers. To become a tester for the new release you need two things:

1. Joomla 3.7 alpha 2. You can either configure Joomla updater to accept development version updates or install it fresh from the following page: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/re ... 7.0-alpha2

2. Com_Patchtester. It's used for installing patches (Pull Requests). Version 3 beta 2 is the version you should choose: https://github.com/joomla-extensions/pa ... r/releases
Once installed simply index the list of PRs from the component and then insert the ID of the pull request you want to test.

After testing go to the Joomla issue page and click the "Test this" button followed by clicking your results. Here's an example of a Joomla issue page: https://issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/13990

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Many of us have communities of members who do not have the ability to create menu items. As a result it's better to have Joomla be able to do this right out of the box. Joomla 3.7 beta 3 was released a few days ago, in other words progress is going faster than I originally thought. If I had to guess we may see it by March 15-20th. :D

lnuyasha
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lnuyasha » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 am

you can choose to use Joomla extensions to disable article ID number from the URL for Joomla 3.0 without do not break the existing link structure of Joomla.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:00 pm

The bad news is that the new router will not be included in Joomla 3.7. The good news is that it's predicted to come into Joomla 3.8: https://developer.joomla.org/news/674-s ... 3-7-0.html

Assuming this holds true, we should expect to see ID-less URLs by July of this year.

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi

I think the id's in url should have been resolved a looong time ago. Not exactly a selling point....

I think all you can do is use a component that does the url altering for you ...

I use a cck and every time I create an article I dynamically create a corresponding menu item. This takes away any extra work by the user.

When new router is out I will be able to remove this action and have the option to delete the menu items if I like.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:44 am

jonBuckner1 wrote:I use a cck and every time I create an article I dynamically create a corresponding menu item. This takes away any extra work by the user.
Which CCK do you use? Seblod CCK has an option for ID-less URLs (native to the component when enabled). Great CCK, the only issue is the steep learning curve at first.

jonBuckner1
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jonBuckner1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:01 am

Josh Lewis wrote:
Which CCK do you use? Seblod CCK has an option for ID-less URLs (native to the component when enabled). Great CCK, the only issue is the steep learning curve at first.
Hi, yes I use Seblod

It does have that feature but I was paranoid and didn't want to end up down a rabbit hole.

I also have it so that any changes to the article title get reflected in the menu item.

Maybe overkill but Joomla drew first blood :)

When Joomla stops vandalising the urls I am hoping I will be able to remove the code stuff.

Although I am a keen user of Seblod, I don't understand fully (at all) the 'url/alias/routing'-'options/problems/dilemmas' and so wanted to get as far away from any shananigans as possible.

pintobuck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

How to remove ID numbers from Joomla URLs

Post by pintobuck » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Using Joomla 3.6.5

Joomla and some extensions, like Kunena forum, will put article ID numbers into some URLs.

After reading several threads and running my own tests, so far I know of two methods to get rid of the ID numbers in Joomla URLs.

Method 1 - Be sure that you created a menu item for each content article. (For example, you cannot get away with just menu linking to the article's category.) With its own menu link, the article's URL will not contain ID numbers. An easy way to do that automatically is with the Kazaam extension. Joomla Extension Directory says Kazaam is a paid download, but the author's website offers a free version. However, this method only works on Joomla content articles. This method will not remove ID numbers from URLs generated by other extensions like Kunena forum. For that, you need method #2.

Method 2 - Use an SEF extension like sh404SEF, JoomSEF, SEF Advance, or others. These SEF extensions will hide ID numbers in the URLS. Also, the SEF extensions have dedicated plugins to make them work on URLS generated by other extensions like Kunena forum. JoomSEF offers a free and complete version. However, the free version includes backlinks to the JoomSEF author's website.

Info, corrections, and suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by mandville on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topics merged,

Kubik-Rubik
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kubik-Rubik » Sun May 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi @ all!

I updated the archive with the modified router for the content component (com_content) in Joomla! 3.7.0:

https://joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.d ... in-der-url

Direct download: https://joomla-extensions.kubik-rubik.d ... in-the-url

Have success!
Cheers
Viktor

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions https://kubik-rubik.de
Former member of Joomla! Production Leadership Team, Security Strike Team and Bug Squash Team

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Mon May 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Outstanding work Kubik-Rubik! :D :D :D Works great.

porkbutts
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by porkbutts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 pm

@Kubik-Rubik

Please update for 3.7.4. Much appreciated.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm

The next Joomla 3.8.0 has a new router where this is a core functionality.

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Kubik-Rubik
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kubik-Rubik » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 am

porkbutts wrote:@Kubik-Rubik

Please update for 3.7.4. Much appreciated.
Updated the package. :-)

Though, you can use the same file from the older package since the file was not changed in this version branch (3.7.x).

Cheers
Cheers
Viktor

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions https://kubik-rubik.de
Former member of Joomla! Production Leadership Team, Security Strike Team and Bug Squash Team

addisonclark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by addisonclark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm

leolam wrote:The next Joomla 3.8.0 has a new router where this is a core functionality.

Leo 8)
Hmmm. The new router makes it worse. Now it just keeps the current URL and just adds some URL variables. Kind of seems like a step backwards.

Unless I am missing some new setting or something. Which is possible since they hid the new router in the Integration tab of the Article options, so there could be additional options elsewhere.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Perhaps this is a temporary move for testing? J3.8 is being worked on, so I wouldn't expect that to be in the core. They know we won't be happy if they add a bunch of junk to the URL. ;-)

addisonclark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by addisonclark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Perhaps this is a temporary move for testing? J3.8 is being worked on, so I wouldn't expect that to be in the core. They know we won't be happy if they add a bunch of junk to the URL. ;-)
That could definitely be true.

In the mean time, I did find a component called Route 66 that can handle the routing issue relatively easily: https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... /route-66/

It basically gives you options similar to WordPress' permalink settings.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 am

Fantastic SEF extension. Probably the best one I've seen yet! Was able to produce site/article-name just like WordPress. Something the Joomla core would greatly benefit from.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 am

addisonclark wrote:
leolam wrote:The next Joomla 3.8.0 has a new router where this is a core functionality.

Leo 8)
Hmmm. The new router makes it worse. Now it just keeps the current URL and just adds some URL variables. Kind of seems like a step backwards.
This is incorrect. You should review the options and settings properly and read about changes.

If you have currently (J3.7.x) a link:

Code: Select all

www.yourdomain.com/category-alias/71-article-alias
(71 is the article ID number.) The new Joomla routing system to be introduced with Joomla 3.8.0 removes the ID number and you will get:

www.yourdomain.com/category-alias/article-alias
Leo 8)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Fantastic SEF extension. Probably the best one I've seen yet!
Than you have not yet looked at Mijosef https://miwisoft.com/joomla-extensions/ ... o-sef-urls which comes besides the mentioned extension support with a whopping total of over 300 extensions, multi-lingual support for Falang, Wordpress style SEF URl's, Automated meta data and a ton more

Leo 8)

addisonclark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by addisonclark » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 pm

leolam wrote:
addisonclark wrote:

Leo 8)

Unless I am missing some new setting or something. Which is possible since they hid the new router in the Integration tab of the Article options, so there could be additional options elsewhere.
This is incorrect. You should review the options and settings properly and read about changes.

If you have currently (J3.7.x) a link:

www.yourdomain.com/category-alias/71-article-alias
(71 is the article ID number.) The new Joomla routing system to be introduced with Joomla 3.8.0 removes the ID number and you will get:

www.yourdomain.com/category-alias/article-alias
Leo 8)
Running a vanilla Joomla! 3.8.0-beta1 install and using the following link:

<a href="index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&catid=2">Link</a>
Joomla generates:
With original router

http://www.example.com/2-uncategorised/3-test
With new router

http://www.example.com/?view=article&id=3
So other than the Article options screen I mentioned above (see attachment), where else are there relevant settings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm

plugin = experimental

id is stripped in all settings

Cheers

Leo 8)

Flayologist
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Flayologist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:39 am

Is there an update to the hack for version 7.5? Ive uploaded the one for 7.4 but its worse than the one that comes with Joomla 7.5. My URL's with the 7.4 version of the fix now look like this:

https://www.funnybugbees.com/beekeeping-resources/food-for-honey-bees?view=article&id=42:candy-board-sugar-recipe-anti-fungal&catid=15
With the router that comes with Joomla 7.5 is looks like this:

https://www.funnybugbees.com/beekeeping-resources/food-for-honey-bees/42-candy-board-sugar-recipe-anti-fungal

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 am

After downloading the file, replace /components/com_content/helpers/legacyrouter.php with the one in the link.

subrat
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by subrat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:46 am

This extension might help.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... m-sef-url/

I was also editting the router files all these days and in the latest version you need to edit the legacyrouter file.

Havent tested the extension yet but if it works then we wont have the edit the files and upgrading wont have issues.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: changed the link to point to JED - please read the forum rules at https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65
Quality WebDevelopment at http://www.webworkwiz.com
Affordable hosting http://www.vsmhosting.com

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 pm

The day has finally arrived: https://www.joomla.org/announcements/re ... lease.html

To activate id-less article URL's go to: Your-domain/administrator/index.php?option=com_config&view=component&component=com_content

Open the Integration tab. Set URL Routing to Experimental. Then set Remove IDs from URLs to Yes.
id-less.png

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:11 pm

@Josh Lewis: A better way of doing this is post a link to the documentation portal where we posted this article and the gif

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:New_Routing_System

Glad to see you are excited though!

Leo 8)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”