Whats the best Joomla Hosting?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
randeren
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Which hosting provider is best for Joomla sites

Post by randeren » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi I would like to have recommendation regarding Hosting provider/ hosting plane.
I have about 12 Joomla 3.4 sites,The sites are less then 1/5 gigs each, and they don't have sophisticated interactive apps on them such as e-store. my main concern is that they will be fast, specially for mobile, that they will be secure and stable. I'm looking for a host that can provide that, that has very good support, that offer inexpensive packages and that is optimized for Joomla.

any suggestions?

Thank you!
Ran
Last edited by imanickam on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged with the topic viewtopic.php?f=48&t=947828

numinousmedia
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Which hosting provider is best for Joomla sites

Post by numinousmedia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 am

I've used Blue Host, GoDaddy, Inmotion Hosting, Fatcow, Dreamhost and Siteground. Siteground blows them all out of the water (with Dreamhost coming in second).
Ryan
Frontend Developer and Joomla Professional
Ethode Website Development: http://www.ethode.com
Personal Site: http://www.numinousmedia.com

Claudia_A
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Claudia_A » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 am

Hello randeren!
Here is a trustworthy source to help you get a perspective about the best hosting sites, according to customer's reviews. http://www.joomlahostingreviews.com/
Hope this is useful!
Best Regards,
Claudia A.

http://www.thePHPfactory.com || Professional Joomla! Extensions

HlnMoore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HlnMoore » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:51 pm

inmotion hosting is really good .. I guess it will solve all your concerns

Quali
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quali » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Go with a hosting package that runs on SSD drives. Will definitely speed up your websites.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:25 am

Hi there!

I find this resources, I'm sure they can be of help:
https://besthostingsearch.net/best-joomla-hosting/
http://www.joomlahostingreviews.com

Cheers!

pduke24
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pduke24 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:56 am

Ive never had a problem with Hostgator ( they're always running a promo) and Bluehost ( very professional ).

Quali
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quali » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:31 pm

pduke24 wrote:Ive never had a problem with Hostgator ( they're always running a promo) and Bluehost ( very professional ).
Definitely do not recommend HostGator or BlueHost. From 1) personal experience with them, 2) they're an EIG company, 3) their service is been declining for years, which they compensate for attractive deals.

I'm currently with https://abelohost.com and run my VPS's from there. Check 'em out.

MyFirstPage
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MyFirstPage » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:21 pm

i would say dependent on the local law.

sepatusportnike
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sepatusportnike » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:32 am

pduke24 wrote:Ive never had a problem with Hostgator ( they're always running a promo) and Bluehost ( very professional ).
I am agree with pduke24, best promo from Hostgator and also Bluehost, but you must concern about renewal cost too. Bluehost only takes 4$/mo but takes almost 11$/mo for renewal.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Whats the best Joomla Hosting?

Post by brendanhedges » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello everyone.

I am interested to find out who you consider to be the best Joomla hosting company?

Yes I know it's a little subjective, after all there is good and bad out there, and what works for one will not work for another.

However, I wonder if there is a general consensus of what hosting companies are good or bad.

Maybe you guys would like to comment on this post.

For example I currently use Arvixe, I would rate them at about 7/10 at the moment. They used to be better, but since being bought by EIG, have gone downhill especially their support. However, their value for money is great, unlimited sites on unlimited domains starting at just $7 a month!.

I would like to put together a blog post on this topic so your help would be invaluable.

Regards, Brendan
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to the forum The Lounge

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Whats the best Joomla Hosting?

Post by ranwilli » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:16 am

All of the hosting companies have something to offer - - to someone. Depending on your needs as a consumer of hosting, you'll find good and bad. You'll find hosting companies that fit you like a glove, and others that give you fits.

They nearly all are very, very good at selling packages... Are you good at picking them out? Do you know with certainty what you require? If not, you had better beware. I personally threw in with a host that came highly recommended, and left a host I loved, because I just couldn't afford them.

The sales guy I chatted with knew precisely which buttons to push, and I spent 10 long days migrating 60 plus Joomla! websites to their server. Can you spell disaster? Their "tech support" was quick, but inaccurate, and more concerned with how I filled out the rating than giving me answers to my problems. I was with them 3 months. One month fighting the endless problems and trying to mollify outraged clients, and 2 months finding a new host. Happy to report I'm thrilled with the new host, but the real reason I chose them? They're 60 miles from my home, and I knew if necessary, I could physically go there if I had a problem. That's not the only thing they had in their favor, of course, but it was the single factor upon which I made my final decision.

Bottom line, know what you need, be prepared to describe it in detail, don't settle for salesmanship.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 am

Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts Ranwilli. Can I ask do you still have 60 sites with them and how long have you been with them for now?

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 am

Yes, I do, and it's been 3 blissful weeks, clients are ecstatic.
Stay ON the update path.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:51 pm

I like SiteGround. I switched a client there and it's been great. No downtime and the site is fast! Free letsencrypt SSL, caching and CDN. Lots of other features as well. My site needed the 2nd level package due to traffic but the initial offer was 3 years at a big discounted price.

They have dedicated hosting if you have a lot of sites to manage.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks Dave,
Yes, getting free access to ssl is an enticing thing, even if it is only at a low level. As long as it keeps Google happy it's good. I think Ranwilli's host also offers free ssl from the same source.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:40 pm

What was his suggestion? I could not find any.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:04 pm

What was his suggestion? I could not find any.
:) I assumed his website in his signature is also hosted at the same place, given his previous problems. I know mine would be.

There are some nice tools on the net to discover these little things 8) :D

I didn't disclose it because maybe he did not like it to be generally known.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Quite right, but I am more concerned about concealing the name of the host with which I was unhappy. That is because it was as much my fault as theirs that my purchase was wrong, wrong, wrong for my needs. I did have the "help" of a sales guy, but I had not yet formulated the right questions to ask, nor the answers to look for, and I cannot blame them for my failures.
Stay ON the update path.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Ranwilli, maybe you might consider pm'ing me the details of your former host and letting me have a little more info for my blog post? I'll keep it private of course.

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ranwilli » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm

No, I won't be doing that, for the reasons I mentioned above... If you want to make a useful post, tell your readers precisely how to determine what they need in a host, and how to evaluate whether the prospective host can actually deliver it for an affordable price.
Stay ON the update path.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Ranwilli, sure no problem :) . My problem would be finding examples of people who have had problems with hosts and how they went about solving those problems. For example, your first host, obviously something went wrong in a big way. But, without the knowledge of that it would be difficult to suggest solutions or make recommendations to people of what they should be doing or looking out for. As you stated, "The sales guy I chatted with knew precisely which buttons to push", even the initiated can come a cropper!

So, come on guys, let's have a few more stories, opinions or comments here.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:22 am

i'm using hostgator, and am quite happy there.
Support is pretty good. If you run into problems, usually they can help you out within 20 minutes.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi Gany, thx for your input. I too used Hostgator but they are more restrictive than Arvixe(current host), which is why I changed.

dlm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dlm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm

I'm also in need of a new host provider. Years ago, I was researching this issue via the Joomla forum and many of the users recommended bluehost. That was maybe 8 years ago and I was very happy with their technical support, until this week. (Hadn't had any problems at all for ages.) OMG! I can't believe it has gotten so bad - a nightmare! It is impossible to get through to technical support. Can't access my clients files via ftp but when I can, I'm packing them up and moving. Also need to move my own website. The wait for chat help is over 30 minutes and forget getting tech support over the phone. (I know some of you are being circumspect about mentioning the names of crummy hosts, but this one needs to be on the boards just so others are warned to stay away!)

So, I appreciate the recommendation for hostgator. Are there any other hosts that are worth the time investigating? If you're happy with your host, please let us know. It saves a lot of time when researching the right fit.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Again, SiteGround is tailor made for Joomla and WordPress and has some great support. So far it's been pretty much less than one minute for chat and phone support.

They have tons of features in the hosting. A custom Joomla siteguard if you install with their installer which secures the admin login and scans uploads. Lets encrypt, backups, CDN, plus much more all built in. This is all in the base package. Go up to higher packages and you get more. They have dedicated hosting and cloud options to scale up to.

I moved a site from my VPS that was causing problems due to huge traffic spikes. It was just some local site but the traffic was off the chart on the bot level. Millions of hits per month. My VPS was being overloaded. I moved it to the middle shared hosting of SiteGround and it's been running smooth as silk ever since.

This will be my only reccomended hosting from now on.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I also just added a new client to SiteGround's base shared hosting. I used their Joomla installer and the whole thing is smooth. The cPanel has a Joomla toolkit and other cache/CDN settings.

They do have some limits on the accounts which you should be aware of. None of them are unreasonable because if you have high traffic sites or send a LOT of email you can't expect shared hosting to be your solution. They understand why shared hosting issues and don't allow their severs to be afflicted by these problems. Keep them under those limits and you will have a fast reliable site.

Install Speed Cache and it will simply fly. Not like some other shared hosting that is overloaded.

dlm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dlm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm

I've been a Bluehost customer for years but their technical support has fallen apart. I'll be moving my accounts and would discourage anyone from subscribing with them. I've seen good recommendations for Siteground and Hostgator. I'll be researching these companies first.

brendanhedges
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by brendanhedges » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I do agree with DLM on the need to have some recommendations out there for those of us not in the know.
On a previous occasions I have had to do a little research about hosts and I am not surprised by DLM's comment about bluehost's support. They are part of EIG.... from wikipedia...

Bluehost is a web hosting company owned by Endurance International Group. It is one of the 20 largest[1] web hosts, collectively hosting well over 1.9+ million domains with its sister companies, HostMonster, FastDomain and iPage.[2] The company operates its servers in-house in a 50,000 square feet (4,600 m2) facility in Provo, Utah, which is now shared with sister company HostMonster.........

Many people have had similar stories to tell. As soon as the host was bought out by EIG there previous good support went downhill. There are many horror stories in the same vain if you google it.

I speak from experience with Arvixe. Although I am still with them. There support is terrible now compared to 3 years ago, before they were taken over by EIG. In speaking to people it seems that the companies that offer the best support are still independent of EIG. The biggest problem is that these independents tend to be more expensive than member companies of EIG. I have heard that Inmotion Hosting is a good host (still independent), but as I have no experience of them I cannot comment either way. Maybe someone else can?

I wonder if anyone has a comment about Rochen, the host that this site is using. Although it's strange that joomla.com is on Siteground.

dlm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dlm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Very interesting information brendanhedges! I feel badly for the legacy Bluehost employees since the sale. It's hard to be working for a company that one can no longer be proud of.

I was checking Hostgator's recommendations (shown at the bottom of its home page) and noticed that while Hostingadvice.com gave it a very high rating, this same site gave Bluehost it's best pick. I hope someone was well paid for that recommendation! Unfortunately, it degrades the integrity of Hostgator's achievement. I'm still comparing Hostgator and Siteground but the HostingAdvice recommendation doesn't help.

Hoping for more info on acclamations or avoids on this topic.

Return to “The Lounge”