Joomla 3.8 upgrade loses components

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
barraclm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 3.8 upgrade loses components

Post by barraclm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:17 am

Upgraded 3 servers, 2 on one host and one on another. All were completely up-to-date with regard to extensions and Joomla core. All seemed to go well but on running each site I found that many of the components had disappeared from the back end. More specifically, the components were still there and could be run from the command line and showed up with Extensions>Manage>Manage but were no longer in the Components menu item.

phpMyAdmin showed that all the missing components now had a value of 9 in the 'access' field in the #_menu table. Non-missing components had a value of 0 or 1. Changing the value from 9 to 1 brings the components back into the menu.

Question 1: What is the difference between 0 and 1 1n the 'access' field in the #_menu table?
Question 2: What went wrong?
Question 3: How did this fail to be caught in testing?

Michael Barraclough

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla 3.8 upgrade loses components

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 am

Interesting. Compare with viewtopic.php?f=710&t=954817
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

barraclm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barraclm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 am

1st site now fully operational after changing 'access' value to 1 where it was previously 9.

2nd site had an 'access' value of 13 for all the missing components. Changing that to 1 has also brought back all the missing components.

It seems that the upgrade process has changed the access value for many components (some have suggested that it is the 'paid for' components that have been affected). The value will not be the same for all sites but appears to be a value which is not already assigned to an existing group.

The SQL I am using to fix the problem is UPDATE #_menu SET `access`=1 WHERE (`menutype`="main" AND `access`=x) [You need to replace # with whatever your prefix is and x with whatever value the Joomla Update has incorrectly set. Do not try this without a backup that you know you can restore and confidence in your SQL abilities.]

Michael Barraclough

barraclm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barraclm » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

All three sites now fixed using the method described above. 3rd site had the value 9 in the `access` field for all the missing components. This time, however, 9 was the value of an existing (but irrelevant) group. By updating only those records with `access`=9 AND `menu`="main" I was able to avoid changing the value 9 in records that should have the value 9.

Michael Barraclough

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”