Why there is no integrated auto social post in Joomla like Wordpress?

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Why there is no integrated auto social post in Joomla like Wordpress?

Post by wizarddesign » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:14 am

Wordpress has this integrated ability to auto-publish your article with google+, facebook, Instagram, [spam], Flickr, Pinterest and twitter. However, in Joomla we are doomed! believe me when I say doomed. you have to go through some expensive extension which do not even work properly and go up and down to make them work and then understand it doesn't worth the pain. or you have the option to use IFTT website which that also doesn't work properly and you can not auto-publish from your own website.
This is a dream I have. what should we do about this to make it something integrated inside Joomla?
why is Joomla lagging behind in SEO and social network? :'(
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x to Joomla! Ideas Forum

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Why there is no integrated auto social post in Joomla like Wordpress?

Post by sozzled » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 am

1) Really? :laugh: I've seen a lot of nonsense written in the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category (mostly written by astroturfers or sock puppets whose purpose is to spout gibberish they've spent less than 10 microseconds thinking about) but this has to be one of the weirdest ideas I've ever seen! "Auto Social Post" (for Joomla) as a mechanism to benefit SEO? You've got to be joking! Where did you read such nonsense?

2) I'm tired of the comparisons that people try to make between Joomla, Wordpress or any other website construction package (including LEGO®) because they serve no purpose insofar as SEO matters. When you think about it, 90% of the "suggestions" made in this forum category are solicitations for third-party products/services anyway! Therefore, this topic will simply provide yet another means for sock puppets and spam merchants to peddle their "auto social post" products in the forum.

3) What [ redacted ] is a "auto social post" thing anyway? Does it mean that, when you build a Joomla website, "social posts" magically appear on the website as if by divine intervention? Or does it mean that when you've built a Joomla website, "social posts" written in some out-of-the-way Twitter account will magically appear on the Joomla site? I have no idea what "auto social posts" means and I don't think the author of this topic has any idea either!

4) The only thing that is a certainty of being "doomed" is the interest that people have in this topic—as with most of the other nonsense peddled by those who regularly parade their superior knowledge about SEO on this forum! This is why, most of the time, when I see another post appear on the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category, I let out a loud groan of despair.

5) What [ redacted ] is IFTT?

6) I don't believe you when you say we're doomed. Where's your evidence? For that matter, where's your evidence to suggest that Wordpress is "better" (as far as website SEO is concerned) because of some built-in "auto social post" (whatever that means)?

7) Keep dreaming. This topic is a nightmare. :-\
Last edited by toivo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: crude language redacted - please read the forum rules at https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 am

As i can find no.zero. nada. Information on wordpress core auto posting anything beyond its rss then i find your statement baseless and pure click bait rant
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

I prefer Joomla to WordPress any day. Auto posting to Social Media is marketing no SEO. Joomla has excellent SEO capability, out of the gate, superior to WP. I too have never heard of any core feature that does this in WP.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 am

sozzled wrote:1) Really? :laugh: I've seen a lot of nonsense written in the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category (mostly written by astroturfers or sock puppets whose purpose is to spout gibberish they've spent less than 10 microseconds thinking about) but this has to be one of the weirdest ideas I've ever seen! "Auto Social Post" (for Joomla) as a mechanism to benefit SEO? You've got to be joking! Where did you read such nonsense?

2) I'm tired of the comparisons that people try to make between Joomla, Wordpress or any other website construction package (including LEGO®) because they serve no purpose insofar as SEO matters. When you think about it, 90% of the "suggestions" made in this forum category are solicitations for third-party products/services anyway! Therefore, this topic will simply provide yet another means for sock puppets and spam merchants to peddle their "auto social post" products in the forum.

3) What the hell is a "auto social post" thing anyway? Does it mean that, when you build a Joomla website, "social posts" magically appear on the website as if by divine intervention? Or does it mean that when you've built a Joomla website, "social posts" written in some out-of-the-way Twitter account will magically appear on the Joomla site? I have no idea what "auto social posts" means and I don't think the author of this topic has any idea either!

4) The only thing that is a certainty of being "doomed" is the interest that people have in this topic—as with most of the other nonsense peddled by those who regularly parade their superior knowledge about SEO on this forum! This is why, most of the time, when I see another post appear on the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category, I let out a loud groan of despair.

5) What the hell is IFTT?

6) I don't believe you when you say we're doomed. Where's your evidence? For that matter, where's your evidence to suggest that Wordpress is "better" (as far as website SEO is concerned) because of some built-in "auto social post" (whatever that means)?

7) Keep dreaming. This topic is a nightmare. :-\
WT..!
If you don't know any of the things I said. google it! and if you don't have time. don't write back anymore then.
Is there a post you don't write long long gibberish?!
you don't know what is IFTTT?? google it then!
I am not going to talk with you anymore, previously I found you not a problem-solver and just a post maker. Please Please don't write anything back again at least here. I will not read your posts and won't reply, don't waste my time and yours. stay safe
Last edited by wizarddesign on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 am

mandville wrote:As i can find no.zero. nada. Information on wordpress core auto posting anything beyond its rss then i find your statement baseless and pure click bait rant
You are totally wrong. I will post a screenshot of what I mean.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 am

DaveOzric wrote:I prefer Joomla to WordPress any day. Auto posting to Social Media is marketing no SEO. Joomla has excellent SEO capability, out of the gate, superior to WP. I too have never heard of any core feature that does this in WP.
I agree with you, Joomla is far better than wordpress. That's why I am writing a post here and not there! and I want to improve it. do you deny the importance of social network link and backlink visitors? do you check your google analytics? how can you say so?
I will post a screenshot of what I mean on WordPress.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:00 am

Dear mandville and DaveOzric, If you guys don't know something better ask for it rather than deny it. if you have any solution and any skills in coding, I am all eyes to read it. Otherwise, let others read and answer.
on a "write-a-post" page on the left sidebar :
and when you click on connect services:

To enlighten the next readers:
There are already extensions like Joocial which does this. However, in a crude way and with lots of errors.
The IFTTT website is a web service which does this auto posting from one your social networking which will spread the link to your website and brings visitors!
So. stop saying this is a marketing and not a SEO!

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 am

mandville wrote:As i can find no.zero. nada. Information on wordpress core auto posting anything beyond its rss then i find your statement
As i said.
By integrating with WordPress.com Connect, WordPress.com users can quickly log in and ...
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 am

To clarify my response. Wordpress core from wordpress.org does not have the "connect" plugin. It is a service provided on wordpress owned hosting service.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 pm

The screenshot alone shows that it is a feature as part of Automattic's hosting platform, NOT the core WordPress distribution. The only left sidebar in the WordPress backend is the navigation menu.

As for your sharing thing, while you might get a boost in search results for a more visited resource, what you are doing with your sharing campaigns is more heavily marketing driven than SEO driven.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

sohrab330 when you come in here saying things like Joomla is doomed cause it does not have your ideal feature built in you will not get a very positive reaction from core Joomla peeps.

So to be fair and open minded I can see the value in an social media auto posting plugin. So to be fair to Joomla we should not be comparing apples to oranges. WordPress does not do this out of the box nor does Joomla. It seems like a lot to ask to have Joomla core do this in my opinion.

If this is important then a blogging system like EasyBlog does this. Sharing to reputable social websites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, VK, Pinterest and a lot more. For $80 a year it seems reasonable if this is a important feature.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... g/easyblog

There may be others but I did not do a very thourough search in JED or on Google for a solution. A social media service is another option but I suppose everyone wants the world for free. Hootsuite and their type are pretty simple but not automatic. You have to paste your link in their dashboard and publish. More control which could be a good thing.

So you are saying this auto-posts every single article you write in WP or you choose this each time in the post settings?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:45 pm

I realised, long after I'd posted my earlier comments, that the OP mistakenly considers "auto social posts"—I still don't understand what that means—SEO-related; it's marketing. I think there's a big difference between how people use Joomla for marketing and how this forum can assist people for search engine optimisation. As I mentioned earlier, most (nearly all) of the suggestions that people usually make in this particular forum category are promotions for third-party products (many of which have nothing to do with Joomla specifically).

While it's good to have discussions about features that might exist within Joomla to assist people with how their websites are indexed by search engines (in other words, what search engine optimisation is really about) it's disappointing that 90% of the discussions in this forum category parrot the same tired-old nonsense about Joomla vs. Wordpress, how to improve your marketing skills, and a list of obscure acronyms that the people using them don't themselves understand most of the time.

The actions of @sohrab330, to inflame the situation while cowering behind the scenes—reporting others for their natural responses—negates the positive work we do each day. Further, I'm offended by the characterisation that I'm not a problem-solver but that doesn't mean that I am required to spend my time researching Google in attempting to decipher every cryptic anagram that appears on these pages, either.

Concluding on a professional, courteous basis—to add some sanity to this discussion: "auto social posts" have zero effect on SEO, no such feature exists natively within Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal or LEGO® and the purpose of this topic is an abuse of the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category for marketing/promotional purposes.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 pm

DaveOzric you are absolutely right. I should have written the problem in a milder tone. It some time now that I am looking for such an ability and when I saw it on WordPress I was surprised.
Yes, when you publish your article it has the ability to auto-post your description, title and picture.

I used Joocial on Joomla 3 platforms and when you publish your article. K2 in my case. it will post it on Telegram, Twitter, [spam] and Facebook . However, the problem is Joocial is expensive and it won't post on Google+ and Instagram and also when it post sth it is a link with many errors here and there.

for IFTTT you post sth on your Instagram for instance then it spread the word to facebook, Flickr, [spam] and Telegram a little by error though.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:14 pm

mandville wrote:To clarify my response. Wordpress core from wordpress.org does not have the "connect" plugin. It is a service provided on WordPress owned hosting service.
I think you and mbabker are right. Because the platform I was testing on was on WordPress hosting. However, I will try it on WordPress core too. not that I don't trust you guys. I want to know what's the difference. Because last time I used a WordPress was a long time ago and now I used it on their own server.

wizarddesign
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wizarddesign » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 pm

social networking integration is marketing but it is content marketing and not product marketing. SEO is not all about meta tags and schema.org micro-data. to receive visitors from the social networks is a part of SEO.

I will do more research about this ability for a Joomla website and will post my results here.

By the way, DaveOzric I will look for this ability on easyblog extension too. I didn't know they had it.

Overall, I think it is important to add this ability to the Joomla core. who doesn't want it?

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 pm

The problem is adding too much to the Joomla core is problematic and adds bloat to those who do not want it. I have never had this request from a client. The JED has many useful addons which are sometimes better developed by 3rd party developers. I have a set of core (non Joomla) extensions that are installed with each site. I have researched these developers and they are top notch and know what they are doing. It's possible the one developer who has a social plugin could develop such a integration.

The thing I always find is WP is so much more widely known that there are so many more plugins but they vary so widely in quality. Not that Joomla has all great extensions, they do not. I just know Joomla core is so much more powerful for webmasters and the functionality it comes with.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Now that this topic has been moved (from the Search Engine Optimization (Joomla SEO) in Joomla 3.x forum category) to the Joomla! Ideas Forum category, most of my earlier comments and concerns are off-topic. My criticisms were based on the OP's original idea that "auto social posts" were conducive to improving Joomla's SEO capability. I reject the notion that "auto social posts" improve a website's SEO capability.

For the record, I did not request this topic be moved to a different forum category. However, given the topic has been moved, I have no comment as things currently stand. 8)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:34 pm

sohrab330 wrote:social networking integration is marketing but it is content marketing and not product marketing. SEO is not all about meta tags and schema.org micro-data. to receive visitors from the social networks is a part of SEO. ...
No ... Social Networking Integration is not part of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) they have a common goal (i.e. to get the site noticed and attract visitors) but they are totally separate techniques that use different methods.

SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) ... is optimising a site to get better results when a Search Engine crawls and indexes the site.
Social Networking Integration ... is a method of advertising the site by publishing it (or part of it) to Social Media and to display Social Media on the site.

Although the links created by Social Networking Integration can (adversely as well as beneficially) affect how a Crawler sees the site, it is not part of SEO because it's primary purpose is to publish the site on Social Media not to optimise the site for Search Engines.

You might or might not understand the difference because the difference is subtle (or you might even think that the definition is pedantic) but the difference is there and it is important to recognise it. Once you realise the difference it may become clear to you why Social Networking Integration is not part of Joomla core.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 am

You already found out that autopost to social isn't included in a downloaded WP version. It's only included (no idea, I don't work with it) in the online version at their wp hosted site. That's comparing apples with pineapples. I had to do it on a site, and it was - entirely new to me - not something easy to do.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am

sohrab330 wrote: By the way, DaveOzric I will look for this ability on easyblog extension too. I didn't know they had it.
Yes can can try it and it have zillions of social sharing for each blog you have there and autoposting etc

nwhit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nwhit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Geez! What a thread! We're web developers that often use Joomla for our clients. One of them wants to expand their twitter and linkedin feeds, but we have advised them to be sure the posts link back to the website and match the web news content instead of creating new content on each social media website. Thus we began looking for a way to get K2 articles to post directly to twitter, etc.

I did find Joomcore's "JO Social Auto Publish", so I came to this forum to try to see if anyone has used it and if there were any known problems.

The case for auto posting is strong. Much more efficient and less prone to error if a K2 story/article can be auto-published to Twitter, etc., or manually pushed when desired. Saves a lot of time and is a better coordinated method to do this. When I found this thread, I thought the OP's question was similar to mine -- what's the best way to auto-publish articles to social media?

Bottom line: anyone have any experience with JO Social Auto Publish?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm

nwhit wrote:The case for auto posting is strong.
Maybe so but, to repeat what we've written earlier in this topic, it's not something that's included as part of the Joomla core. This topic is primarily to address the question of "why" this particular facility—that may affect a minority of people using Joomla with some of the currently popular social media platforms today—is not included in Joomla.

Everyone is entitled to their own commentary on the subject.
nwhit wrote:Does anyone have any experience with JO Social Auto Publish?
That's a different question and probably better asked in its own dedicated topic posted in the Extensions for J! 3.x forum category, I think.

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:34 am

The framework itself supports OAuth 1 and 2 clients natively. Extension developers are most likely extending their own classes from the client files provided by the framework.

The reason why this feature is not supported by an included module probably revolves around the same reasoning for making weblinks and newsfeeds independent components.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 am

I think that a standard social sharing integration for at least the big ones ie Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin should be shipped with Joomla core and its very different than comparing it with RSS feed and the web links usage.

Its standard feature and should be included in the core in my opinion. All competitors have this so its a drawback for Joomla not have this too.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:06 pm

darb wrote:I think that a standard social sharing integration for at least the big ones ie Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin should be shipped with Joomla core ....
Joomla is a Content Management System that can be used for many things. If specialised social media is included in the core then it starts to focus on one element. But as it is Joomla is suitable for e-shops, social media, business show cases, forums, ticket systems and much more. But to include (in the core) any one of those would start to exclude the others by way of focusing on just one.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 pm

If Joomla is a Content Management System it should be obvious that its content could be shared on social media easy.

I am sure this is negative for Joomla usage that Joomlas core can not deliver social media sharing upfront only by 3pds.

Whatever Joomla is used for that usage would of course also benefit to be shared on social media as you say ie e-shops, social media, business show cases, forums, ticket systems and much more etc

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Joomla core doesn't offer forums or ecommerce solutions or help desk systems out of the box either, should we merge things like Kunena or HikaShop or Akeeba Ticket System into core because those are common use cases for a Joomla website?

Joomla core doesn't have to do everything imaginable by just downloading the package from our website. The entire point of a CMS is to give the scaffolding to build powerful tools while the out of the box experience is still a useful starting point.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:44 pm

It's all comes down to definitions about what Joomla is and what It can be.

And that’s where people have different expectations from the start if you are a developer, site owner and end user of a "CMS system".

I don’t think that non-developers people entirely agree that "The entire point of a CMS is to give the scaffolding to build powerful tools.." People want to have some basic CMS etc functions that they use daily and that work upfront with a logical stable end user workflow.

And I don’t think that Joomla should be dependent on any 3pds for these core CMS logical functions that other CMS have already in the core too.

This analysis user function priority should be analysed and discussed bcs it's important for Joomla as a whole how the platform/CMS can be better in any aspect from the end user perspective as a first focus.

What is the customers wants, needs and priorities for the xx basic Jommla CMS functions?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:29 pm

darb wrote:...
I don’t think that non-developers people entirely agree that "The entire point of a CMS is to give the scaffolding to build powerful tools.." People want to have some basic CMS etc functions that they use daily and that work upfront with a logical stable end user workflow....
In that case Joomla would also need to include e-shops, social media, business show cases, forums, ticket systems and much more. If it did contain all those then it would not be of use for any of them. If you only have social media in it then you exclude e-shops, business show cases, forums, ticket systems and much more. That would mean having a version of Joomla for e-shops, social media, business show cases, forums, ticket systems and much more.

The fact that 'non-developers people' don't agree doesn't alter the facts. If the 'non-developers people' wants a social media site they have a few options
  • Learn how to locate and add the extensions
  • Pay someone to locate and add the extensions
    or
  • Or loose the flexibility that Joomla provides ... and use a dedicated social media platform.
btw
If you search the forum you will find similar threads where the 'non-developers people' claim that Joomla should be a blogging platform. You will also find similar threads where the 'non-developers people' claim that Joomla should focus on e-commerce.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”