My website / admin panel is extremely slow

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

My website / admin panel is extremely slow

Post by janperitcw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 am

I upgraded my website from Joomla 1.5 to 3. While working on new website I didn't have almost any issue but the website is extremely slow since I launched the website. Time to time I get 503 error. It takes ages to add a new article. I asked both template provider and hosting provider but they were not helpful. Recently I uninstalled some extensions and there is an improvement but working on admin panel still not easy.

Template provider asked me this:

Please, check if your server settings are as follows:

max_execution_time = 90
max_input_time = 120

memory_limit = 256M

post_max_size = 256M

upload_max_filesize = 128M

If the issue persists ask your hosting provider to give you server error log.

And then hosting provider said:

Please see details below.
Our servers only support the information below :

max_execution_time = 50 secs
max_input_time = max_input_time
memory_limit = 512MB
post_max_size = 96M
upload_max_filesize = 96M

As you can see, some of the theme's requirements were not met and just to let you know that these values cannot be adjusted as it is fixed.

Do you think it might be the reason? I have 2 more website on same server but they work fine.

Btw, I use cache etc... I did (I think) almost everything to solve the issue.

Any suggestion?

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: My website / admin panel is extremely slow

Post by schemer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:25 pm

I have a similar problem and I noticed emails being sent to me as "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" so I looked at the message and it was from my Joomla site and the recipient had a .ru extension. So I looked at my Users and had about 20 users when I should have only had one, me. I had been hacked. I had the Host scan my server and found 3 malwares so I deleted them. Then I updated from J3.6 to v3.8 thinking it would fix the sites but now everything is slow like yours. You may not have been hacked but you could have been. At that point its time to read the Security section and likely rebuild the site. I had the host on the phone for 3 days and they cannot seem to help and even my FTP server was unable to connect to. They fixed that though. Today I am going to start the rebuilds after yesterdays backing up and studying first.
Thanks,
schemer :)

janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janperitcw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:54 pm

The other issue that I am dealing is 403 Error. This is happened 4 time in last 2 weeks. I am having 403 Error and I can't see one single file on server. I am asking hosting provider and they don't really say much about that. Still investigating.

How come that all files can be deleted? Or somehow they gone and then back after while and website back to normal.

Any idea what is causing to this issue?

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm

No clue but once you are hacked, the security section of the forum tells you what to do and that no shortcuts are to be taken. Have the host run a virus/malware scan on you server first.

viewtopic.php?f=714&t=946026
Thanks,

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Well, in my case I was on a shared server and had similar issues but I was also hacked. I thought I fixed the hack part of the problem, updated Joomla, and installed a security solution into Joomla. I still had the same problems. I switched from a shared server to a VPS (virtual private server) and now I have to learn a lot more but in the end I will have more control and no shared bandwidth issues. Good Luck.
Thanks,

janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janperitcw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 am

Hosting provider told me that they fixed the issue but time to time still I get 503 error. There is definitely an improvement. Website sometimes works perfectly and then suddenly gets extremely slow, doesn't load and then I get 503 error.

http://circassianworld.com is the URL btw. There are so many images, I reduced their sizes but didn't really help.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Did they tell you what the issue was? Your problems sound exactly like mine but you have a lot more images and my sites were simple. Are you on a shared server? I am no expert but probably will be in a year or two as I switched to an unmanaged VPS and my head is already hurting. :)
Thanks,

janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janperitcw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am

Problem has been solved. It was the .htaccess file. I found out that there were so many redirection. After change the htaccess website's performance back to normal.

schemer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schemer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm

janperitcw wrote:Problem has been solved. It was the .htaccess file. I found out that there were so many redirection. After change the htaccess website's performance back to normal.

Thanks for letting us know the issue was solved and more importantly, what it was. ;)
Thanks,

janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janperitcw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Unfortunately I am still having the same problem... I can't work on admin panel. Again having 503 error...Extremely slow.. Website sometimes works perfectly, sometimes (maybe most of times) doesn't... No idea what the problem is.

janperitcw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by janperitcw » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:57 am

And today I have got 403 Forbidden error, twice within an hour.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

No idea what the problem is...

ximcix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ximcix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Purge your sessions.

I was having a similar problem where my Joomla 3.8 Admin panel would take upwards of 2 minutes to load after logging in, and each page i navigated to would respond similarly. The front end respond at normal speed.
After days of googling and reading threads like this the tell you about server configuration etc. I tried a few of the suggested quick fixes to no avail, until I saw someone mention Session Handler (database vs php), so I logged into phpMyAdmin and sorted tables by size and found that my sessions table was the largest (1.3 gb).

I don't like messing with databases, so I didn't want to just empty the table, so I logged in to my site Admin panel & looked at the options I had available in Akeeba Admin Tools and saw the "Purge Sessions" button.
Clicked it and waited 5 minutes for it to complete then my backend was flying at normal speeds.

skouf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by skouf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Hello

I had the same problem and cleaning the Session table resolved this.

But why the session table is not cleaning itself ? I thought Joomla have something that clean sessions saved in this table.

I had 1 100 000 lines on the session table.

The session max time is set to 15 minutes.

Is there something to do to clean this table ?

Thanks

danjde
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by danjde » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi friends,
I've the same problem! My site also comes from a 1.5.x to 3.x migration, incredible :-)

A few weeks ago I realized that the backend login take more time than usual (even three minutes).
So investigating, I found the "ch5ug_session" table which has exceeded 1 GB!
So investigating again, I compare the ch5ug_session previous backup size and found that it increases by around 100MB a month.

I've seen googling that many other users have the same issue..

Could be a security problem or what could it be? And eventually why Joomla does not delete the contents independently? I read that it should be.

Many thanks!

Davide
cosmogoniA
n o p r o v a r e n o f a r e o n o n f a r e n o n c e p r o v a r e

chrissilverton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chrissilverton » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:26 am

I have this issue running 3.8.5 currently, Deleted the records out of the sessions table which was 1GB! now all working smoothly but sessions already building up again after 12 hours i'm up to 55Mb. So its a quick fix but not fixing the overall issue.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 am

chrissilverton wrote:I have this issue running 3.8.5 currently ...
We can ignore everything else written after that.

Update to J! 3.8.6 now if you want this issue resolved. 8)

Why do people leave everything until the last moment? J! 3.8.5 was released 2 months ago! We've discussed this and we've all moved on.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”