What the best framework template

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ReWeL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

What the best framework template

Post by ReWeL » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi guys!
I'm beginning to learn Joomla and would like template framework indications. I've read something about the T3 and Gantry, but I know there are others.
What template framework is right for me who am beginner?

Thanks!
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: locked topic on request

harperlala
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: What the best framework template

Post by harperlala » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:57 pm

T3 and Helix also good.

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi there!

I think this depends on your own workflow, although they are similar,
in the end every framework has their own approach.

So, check at least four and try to see which best fits your needs,
extra to T3 and Helix3 you also have Gantry5 and Warp7.

Cheers!

nikosmdtps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nikosmdtps » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Every framework has its own approach. Find one with good documentation and small learning curve.
I use Gantry and T3.

Chamira Athauda
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chamira Athauda » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:44 am

Each framework also has its quirks, complexities, pros and cons as well.

It is best to chose one that is open source, as lightweight as possible, well documented and supported, and gives you the flexibility you are looking for.

Some frameworks offer very extensive template admin options but that comes with additional download overhead.

I also noticed that some frameworks adopt completely different methods of developing a layout to what could be said as their usual method. So, even if you are familiar with how it all works, suddenly a new template will have such a radical approach that you are back to learning things all over again.

An example is the Uber template by JoomlArts on their T3 Framework. Warp 7 has some templates like this as well.

Another thing to note is that some frameworks have a multifunctional component/module that can be configured to be a slide show, accordion, and many many things - examples are YooThemes WidgetKit and RocketThemes RocketSproket. (Saying that, these extemsions can work on any framwework but they are designed to blend in well with their respective frameworks.)

I am not familiar enough with RocketThemes Gantry 5 (open source), but one of the reasons I avoid Gantry 4 is that it has a huge footprint. There templates are great looking, sometimes over designed, and the template admin is very sophisticated.
However, if you ever need to move on to anything other than what each template offers - e.g. to edit template layout, add a new module position &etc - it is not a pleasant framework to work with. I have never been happy with their framework support forums either.

YooTheme make some very innovative templates on their Warp framework (open source). Their documentation is good and so is the support forum. The admin is very sophisticated but I never got on with it, I find it a bit counter intuitive and cumbersome to use. I have also found there is a lot of script issues on their templates, for example mobile menus not working on one-page layouts &etc and I always need to spend time hacking the code and seeking support to get things working.

They also have UIKit (open source) a modular framework - but I am not familiar with this at all.

T3 (open source) from JoomlArt is the one I use the most these days - it is documented extremely well, and has a wonderful support forum. I find it is very easy to work with, it has a sophisticated admin system for layouts and another for the theme, and it is extremely easy to edit and adapt. Adding a new block of module positions is not much more complicated than copying a php file and adding a single line of code.

You will find this framework is very popular with small commercial template developers in Themeforest for example, and some bigger template providers like JoomlaBamboo have also adopted it.

Those are the big three, there are other which are less sophisticated by very lightweight like YooJoomlas YJSimpleGrid , JooStrap.

Other main ones not mentioned in other posts are Gavicks Gavern and JoomlaShacks Wright.

There is no easy way to find out what is best for you without trying these out yourself.

It also depends on your circumstances - Are you looking to learn a framework so you can develop your own templates or are you thinking of finding the one that is easiest to maintain?

Do you have many sites to build or just one?

The best approach would be to look at the templates you really like and see what frameworks they are built on and go on from there, keeping in mind what I said about open source, documentation, support and flexibility.

huyhoa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by huyhoa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:54 am

I would like to recommend T3 v2 Framework. That's the only one i use :)
Easy to customized, very detail documents, and an useful community forum support.

JTema
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by JTema » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:11 am

I am also on the side of T3. :)
http://www.joomlatema.net - Joomla Extensions and Templates
https://asgardia.joomlatema.net - Asgardia Joomla Gardening Template

ReWeL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ReWeL » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions and explanations.
I not intend to create my own templates. Looking for an easy to maintain and it is safe.
Actually, I'm just trying to build a website and is the first.

I analyzed the T3 and the Gantry. The documentation of the two is very good. But, apparently, the T3 support is best.

I will start studying the T3. I hope it works out!
Chamira Athauda wrote:Each framework also has its quirks, complexities, pros and cons as well.

It is best to chose one that is open source, as lightweight as possible, well documented and supported, and gives you the flexibility you are looking for.

Some frameworks offer very extensive template admin options but that comes with additional download overhead.

I also noticed that some frameworks adopt completely different methods of developing a layout to what could be said as their usual method. So, even if you are familiar with how it all works, suddenly a new template will have such a radical approach that you are back to learning things all over again.

An example is the Uber template by JoomlArts on their T3 Framework. Warp 7 has some templates like this as well.

Another thing to note is that some frameworks have a multifunctional component/module that can be configured to be a slide show, accordion, and many many things - examples are YooThemes WidgetKit and RocketThemes RocketSproket. (Saying that, these extemsions can work on any framwework but they are designed to blend in well with their respective frameworks.)

I am not familiar enough with RocketThemes Gantry 5 (open source), but one of the reasons I avoid Gantry 4 is that it has a huge footprint. There templates are great looking, sometimes over designed, and the template admin is very sophisticated.
However, if you ever need to move on to anything other than what each template offers - e.g. to edit template layout, add a new module position &etc - it is not a pleasant framework to work with. I have never been happy with their framework support forums either.

YooTheme make some very innovative templates on their Warp framework (open source). Their documentation is good and so is the support forum. The admin is very sophisticated but I never got on with it, I find it a bit counter intuitive and cumbersome to use. I have also found there is a lot of script issues on their templates, for example mobile menus not working on one-page layouts &etc and I always need to spend time hacking the code and seeking support to get things working.

They also have UIKit (open source) a modular framework - but I am not familiar with this at all.

T3 (open source) from JoomlArt is the one I use the most these days - it is documented extremely well, and has a wonderful support forum. I find it is very easy to work with, it has a sophisticated admin system for layouts and another for the theme, and it is extremely easy to edit and adapt. Adding a new block of module positions is not much more complicated than copying a php file and adding a single line of code.

You will find this framework is very popular with small commercial template developers in Themeforest for example, and some bigger template providers like JoomlaBamboo have also adopted it.

Those are the big three, there are other which are less sophisticated by very lightweight like YooJoomlas YJSimpleGrid , JooStrap.

Other main ones not mentioned in other posts are Gavicks Gavern and JoomlaShacks Wright.

There is no easy way to find out what is best for you without trying these out yourself.

It also depends on your circumstances - Are you looking to learn a framework so you can develop your own templates or are you thinking of finding the one that is easiest to maintain?

Do you have many sites to build or just one?

The best approach would be to look at the templates you really like and see what frameworks they are built on and go on from there, keeping in mind what I said about open source, documentation, support and flexibility.

nikosmdtps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nikosmdtps » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:11 pm

So, T3 is the right choice for you ;)

nhungvh
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nhungvh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:26 am

I'm using T3 Framework and it's good so I'd recommend it :)
http://bowthemes.com - Free & Premium responsive Joomla templates and extensions

ReWeL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ReWeL » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Thank you all for the help.
I will be developed by T3.
And good luck to me!

Chamira Athauda
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chamira Athauda » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:48 pm

If you don't intend to create your own template from scratch or from a basic outline, are you intending to purchase a commercial template?

And also, good luck and see you on their support forums! :)

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Strange, I found Gantry 5 to be the most intuitive and easy to work with.

net1media
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by net1media » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 am

Don't use Gantry or rockettheme, Gantry framework is free but rockettheme is not, and there is no refund, it will slow your website - It is not user friendly, it's only for developers.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 pm

net1media wrote:Don't use Gantry or rockettheme, Gantry framework is free but rockettheme is not, and there is no refund, it will slow your website - It is not user friendly, it's only for developers.
That is your opinion and not shared by most rockettheme users,there are free templates as well. I have rockettheme sites loading in under a second.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 pm

No one have mentioned Bootstrap here. It's already included in Joomla. Now need to add anything extra. It will also work with any extension without creating overrides to get them to work. The version 2.3 used in Joomla is getting old, but Joomla 4.0 will be shipped with Bootstrap 4.

http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/scaffolding.html

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 am

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this, but is there a framework you would recommend for displaying image galleries? I don't need anything complex, just good for image display with some text descriptions. I don't do commerce on my site, that would be handled by a 3rd party site. Thank you in advance.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:55 am

Unless you want to create your own component you dont need a framework, there are lots of gallery components on the JED.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... rfilters=1

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 am

Fantastic, thanks for the link, much appreciated. A lot to choose from! That's my Sunday sorted...

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am

Why reinvent the wheel. Use a Gallery Component.

https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... galleries/

I have used Phoca Gallery, but there are many others to choose from.

jonnybhoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jonnybhoy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 am

Agree, thanks Per, anything to keep it simple is fine by me. Cheers.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”