Do you know a publishing company for a Joomla book?

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
ItDoor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Do you know a publishing company for a Joomla book?

Post by ItDoor » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi,

It should be a publishing company where the place of jurisdiction is in Europe. However the publishing company can as well publish in the USA, where the market share for Joomla is larger.

I can offer more than 620 page (measured in MS Word) with more than 800 screenshots. Text is in German, screenshot are in English. See
[ redacted ]

Sorry for my English.

Kind regards

ItDoor
Last edited by toivo on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: self promotion is against the forum rules - redacted

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Do you know a publishing company for a Joomla book?

Post by Gany » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:15 am

Are you sure?

Joomla is moving towards version 4 relatively soon. It is in alpha at the moment.
If you publish a book based on Joomla 3.8.x the book will have a very short life span. Very likely a publisher doesn't want to invest his time and effort in a book that is obsolete after/during the first edition.
If you base your book on Joomla 4 alpha you run a very serious risk of explaining subjects that are no longer part of Joomla in the final dev version. Or omit new stuff that goes into further dev versions before the official release.

I've seen it happen with Joomla 1.6, A User's Guide. The first edition, for J1.5 was good. The writer based his second edition on Joomla 1.6 alpha and got his head handed on a plate.

ItDoor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ItDoor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am

Hi Gany,

all what you have written is true.

But let us have a look to the time span.

What happens when?

Version will be launched at ??
https://developer.joomla.org/roadmap.html

How long Joomla 3.9 will be supported? Two years?

After the launch of Joomla 4 - when are all Extension are updated to Joomla 4?

When childhood diseases are removed?

Why users shall Switch to Joomla 4 if they have a good running Joomla Website?

Of course Joomla 4 has some (new) advantages like every new Version. But will be the specific Joomla Website concerned by these advantages?

The most conveniant way can be to change nothing for the first time.

Saving time, energy, costs(?) (and nerves)

Of course finally almost all users will switch to Joomla 4.

But in which year are we then? Year 2020? Honestly I do not know it.

This would mean that a Joomla 4 Book is suitable for the year 2020?

Because there is no longer Support for previous versions and because the most users will switch in year 2020?

Sorry für my English and for my critical questions.

ItDoor

[ redacted ]
Last edited by toivo on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: self promotion is against the forum rules - redacted

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm

to answer your original question
try packtpub
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm really not sure if I should involve myself in this discussion—I'm not an author of books—but, as a consumer of books I have a couple of comments.

From the author's perspective, their purpose is to write something that sells; from the publisher's perspective, they want to make a profit. The world of technical writing has changed significantly in the past few years: you can't walk into a bookstore and browse books before deciding to buy them and, even where you can, most of the books you'll see on the shelves are dated. Most technical books these days (and the same can probably be said about most books) are purchased online. Online bookstores aren't about offering new stocks of books; they're all about shifting old stock in quantity. The bookstores drive the publishers but, as long as the publishers are making a profit, no-one is driving authors.

I've purchased several books on Joomla. Some of them were the "only ones" available at the time (and they are still regarded as "classics") and later books on Joomla have surfaced but have never enjoyed a lot of popularity. While the whole purpose of Joomla has not changed—to create custom websites efficiently and effectively—the methods used to deliver the outcome have changed somewhat since the first books on the subject were written. As useful as primer books on any subject may be, their usefulness diminishes over time as readers become practitioners of their craft.

I won't say that I will never purchase another book on Joomla ever again but I don't get as much value from technical books as I used to. I've been using Joomla for 10 years or so (and I've been building websites for the past 30 or more years) and there's not a lot that I'm able to learn from these books that I can't obtain by researching the internet, by using this forum, or by sheer hard work.

So, the second leg of the reasons for publishing books on Joomla rests on "Who's going to read them?"

As I wrote, Joomla's main purpose is to create custom websites efficiently and effectively; nothing has changed there. This begs the question, however: "Who wants to create websites (efficiently and effectively) and do they want to do these things themselves?" Answer that question and you have a reason for writing a book.

I suppose that it's a sign of the times that "everyone" wants a website; they want a website to promote themselves or their business. If they aren't interested in, or prepared to invest time and money into, building a custom website then any old thing will do: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+, etc. all do a fair job of putting people's messages "out there". (There are probably books written about these things, too!)

You probably wouldn't find people, whose total understanding of the internet is "I can Tweet", reading or even purchasing books on Joomla! And, for people who spend large parts of their lives trying to make a living by using Joomla, such people wouldn't be suggesting their customers should go out and buy a book on Joomla! No, Joomla books are mostly bought and read (for a period of time) by website developers, practitioners of webcraft.

This now brings us to the final point I would like to make about this topic: the choice of language in publishing technical reference material. Years ago (the first half of the twentieth century) a lot of technical material was published in English and in German; German was the lingua franca of the scientific community during the twentieth century in much the same way as Latin was the language used among scientists in the preceeding 1900 years before that. I think you'll find that, today, that's all changed: technical books are published (and are expected to be published) mainly in English.

There's nothing inherently wrong with writing a book in German; it's unlikely to receive as large a reception as it would if it had been written in English.

mabdelaziz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mabdelaziz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 am

I agree with brian, packtpub can do it.
I have technically reviewed 2 Joomla books for them before.
Joomla extensions, tutorials and blogs
https://www.joomreem.com

Custom development is available.
Mohamed Abdelaziz

ItDoor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

What is a Joomla related webpage?

Post by ItDoor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi,

This is not just an academic question, because a Joomla related webpage can be mentioned in this forum.
The target is clear to find a general rule for avoiding arbitrarily decisions.

If you prefer you can discuss that on the basis of a concrete example.
The webpage of ItDoor has more than 1000 screenshots concerning Joomla. These more than 1000 screenshots are embedded in articles whose scope is more than 800 pages (measured in Word).
Is that a Joomla related webpage?

Kind regards

ItDoor
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: merged with the current topic, cross posting not allowed - see the forum rules https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: What is a Joomla related webpage?

Post by alikon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:52 pm

The target is clear to find a general rule for avoiding arbitrarily decisions.
sorry not so clear to me
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 pm

The OP is complaining that their previous post had the numerous site urls removed from it as it was prob considered self promotion. See their history
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:02 pm

And, to address the substance of the original question, writing that "the webpage of <we-won't-mention-its-name> has [blah-blah-blah] ..." may or may not classify what follows after that as "related to Joomla".

If people want a clear rule for "avoiding arbitrary decisions", they should read the forum rules.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Yep . It's a complaint about the topic where this off topic post was made
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=958854&p=3511707#p3514583

They should be joined and split to a new topic and the OP should do as Brian suggests
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

ItDoor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

First an evaluation, then applying the rule

Post by ItDoor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 am

Dear alikon,

this is the text of the rule:

Joomla forum is about Joomla CMS. Linking to your website that is not a Joomla website or a Joomla related website may be considered as spam, and may be banned and reported to stopforumspam.com and Google.

What is a Joomla related webpage and what is not a Joomla related webpage?
First we need this evalution and afterwards is the decision if this rule can be applied or not applied. People who refer just to rules, have overseen that. With this sentence I do not refer to Alikon

To make it easier for them:
Was it a suicide or a murder? When it is clarified that it was a murder, only then the rules for murder were applied.

Dear Mandville,

I am following partly your proposal in the way that I create a new topic. But I do not want to refer to a former topic from me, because this topic is general topic. This means all other persons and all other websites are concerned as well. Therefore it is not a complaint, it is clue that something is wrong in a general way. Of course not for those, who do not distinguish between the preconditions of a rule and the applying of a rule.

Proposal 1:
If a website has no advertisement - like the website of ItDoor - I cannot see any disadvantage, if a Joomla or Joomla related website is mentioned in a post.

Proposal 2:
Everybody is allowed to mention his website in his profile. But only in the profile. Of course he can write in a topic that in his profile one can find the URL of his webpage. If a reader is interested to see the URL – one click in the profile.

This solution has the advantage, that is not necessary to evaluate if a Website is Joomla related or not Joomla related. Hence one can avoid arbitrarily decisions.
Beyond that, is anybody of the erasers trained to decide what is a Joomla related website and what is not a Joomla related, something like a judge?
The mentality of a deputy sheriff would not be sufficient for such an evaluation. Sorry to say!

Finally I can tell, that the German Joomla Forum allows that the members deposit their URL in the profile. This means not that in German Joomla Forum all is better than in Joomla ORG Forum.

Kind regards

ItDoor
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: merged with the current topic, cross posting not allowed - see the forum rules https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

Return to “The Lounge”