Contaminated files being found on the server

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
JLRobertson1993
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Contaminated files being found on the server

Post by JLRobertson1993 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:25 am

I stopped doing maintenance for my clients a couple years back and now my hosting parent (I do reseller hosting) has been notifying me of files that they have had to quarantine. I told my clients about it and told them they needed to have someone take care of it, as my parent host suspends websites that are flagged multiple times. None of them have done as I requested, and my parent host has been shutting them down. I told them, they didn't do anything, so I feel that is on them.

The thing that is concerning me is that it is popping up in more and more of my sites, both Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3. Is there something that can be done on the Joomla level to keep this from happening? They don't want their sites upgraded and won't do anything, but it is infecting the rest of my sites.

Any ideas or suggestions on this are appreciated! I am looking into moving their sites to their own accounts so they are fully responsible for themselves. I've been hanging onto the hosting accounts as a friendly gesture after I couldn't do maintenance for them anymore.

Thanks!!!!!

Jennifer

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Contaminated files being found on the server

Post by gws » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

If the client will not co-operate I don't see what you can do. Moving them to their own hosting seems like a good solution.

fcoulter
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Contaminated files being found on the server

Post by fcoulter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 am

I agree, move them to their own hosting. It seems to me that you have been more than fair to them.

If ever I create a site for someone I impress on them that maintenance is essential, it is not something that can be skipped. I would not agree to host anyone who was too tight to pay for essential maintenance.
http://www.spiralscripts.co.uk for Joomla! extensions
http://www.fionacoulter.com/blog my personal website
Security Forum moderator :: VEL team member
"Wearing my tin foil hat with pride"

Return to “Security in Joomla! 2.5”