If someone has been banned from this forum, are they still able to login and use the facilities of the forum?

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
sozzled
I've been banned!

If someone has been banned from this forum, are they still able to login and use the facilities of the forum?

Post by sozzled » Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Apologies if this question has ever been asked here before. I'm curious to know if a forum account, that has been banned by the moderators for breaking the forum rules, is able to login to the forum and use the email/PM features to contact other members of the community?

I see, from time to time, a couple of forum users who appear as online, people who have been sanctioned for soliciting private work by directly contacting other users by email. It's not a question about whether people are prevented from logging-in, because, obviously, they still can login (months after their posting rights were cancelled); it's a question about whether they can continue misbehaving, for the same reasons they were sanctioned in the first place, after they've logged-in.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: If someone has been banned from this forum, are they still able to login and use the facilities of the forum?

Post by toivo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:35 am

Banning a member requires at least two separate steps, the actual ban and changing the rank of the member. If for some reason the first step was missed, then it is possible, but any such cases need to be reported and investigated.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: If someone has been banned from this forum, are they still able to login and use the facilities of the forum?

Post by sozzled » Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks, @toivo. I'll follow this through with an "offline" report (via https://community.joomla.org/helpdesk/f ... quest.html).

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 18, 2018 7:59 am

Normal report of a topic or post with the selection 'The reported message does not fit into any category' and an explanation would probably be quicker and also visible only to the moderators.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am

In that particular case you were referring to the user had been banned for one month and that ban has now expired.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks, @toivo. I think I've got the gist of it. :) In the instance I referred to, the rank [still] shows as "banned" even though they aren't really blocked.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 am

Ok, thanks. The expiry of the ban is not integrated with the rank as I thought it would be. Now the rank of the member is fixed in any case.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”