Site down after update to PHP 7.2

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
askingg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Site down after update to PHP 7.2

Post by askingg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:59 pm

All I see on my joomla 3.8.5 site is

"Error: Call to a member function init() on null: [] operator not supported for strings"

It seems my host updated mysql to a new version of PHP on the weekend and now my joomla site is broken.

I reverted to php 7.0 and the site is back up, but that's just a temporary fix.

UPDATE: I upgraded to Joomla 3.8.11 but still get the same problem when I update to PHP 7.2

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Site down after update to PHP 7.2

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm

askingg wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:59 pm
All I see on my Joomla 3.8.11 site is

"Error: Call to a member function init() on null: [] operator not supported for strings in location of the source of the problem"
There is more information in the error message, isn't there? What else can you tell us about the error message(s) and your website?

My guess is that the problem is caused by a Joomla extension that's incompatible with PHP 7.2 but I can't be sure which extension(s) is/are the source. There may be more information in the last few lines of the file error_log (in the same folder as the file configuration.php).
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

askingg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by askingg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:20 pm

ah, thanks - I set show errors to full and saw this:

Notice: Undefined variable: gantry in {mystic}/templates/rt_anacron/error.php on line 15
Error: Call to a member function init() on null: [] operator not supported for strings

So i need to adjust the error.php file in some way.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:39 pm

There's your answer! The error message comes from the Rockettheme template Anacron, somewhere.

My suggestion is to go to Rockettheme's website and do one of two things: (a) obtain the latest update for the Anacron template and/or (b) ask them. Good luck.

Next time you write to this forum (or any forum for that matter) try to include all of the text of any error message that you see. The more information you provide, the better (and quicker) will be the answer(s) you will get.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

askingg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by askingg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm

understood. I didn't even think about changing the errors in admin to "show all".

thanks for your help!

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”