Joomla upgrade causing issues Topic is solved

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 3.x on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla upgrade causing issues

Post by Bkboutique06 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Hello, I recently had someone upgrade joomla to Version 3.8.12 and now it's giving me some problems. I'm nor receiving customer order confirmation email, receiving Contact Us Form email Blank, Order Invoice is not displaying correction. I'm not able to get any help from anyone, and my developer is no longer available. I'm a beginner and I have no clue what to do. I've searched everywhere, but I'm afraid to try anything in the backend. Any help would be much appreciate it.

This is what I have currently:
PHP Version 7.1.23
Joomla Version 3.8.12

Thank you,
Donea

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla upgrade causing issues

Post by Webdongle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:08 pm

Update your 3rd party extensions and please viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 am

Bkboutique06 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 pm
I recently had someone upgrade joomla to Version 3.8.12 and now it's giving me some problems.

I'm not able to get any help from anyone and my developer is no longer available. I'm a beginner and I have no clue what to do. I've searched everywhere but I'm afraid to try anything in the backend.
Welcome to the forum. J! 3.8.12 was released on 28-Aug-2018 (less than 2 months ago) and you're telling us that "someone"—your "developer"—is no longer available. That's a bit of a surprise, isn't it? That fact alone, that your "developer" did some work and is now "unavailable", suggests that either (a) the job wasn't completed professionally or (b) there were issues with the contract to do the work.

I understand that you're not confident about trying anything in the backend but, sooner or later, someone will need to go into the backend to make some changes to fix your problems. This "someone" will either be you or a professional developer whom you engage (and pay) to do the work.

I don't know what is causing your problems; no-one can say what is causing your problems unless we know the important ingredients in the "software soup" that makes your website.

This is a self-help forum. We can ask for information; we can make suggestions. The way to fix your problems is for you to do most of the work. If this is not something that you are prepared to do then the best solution would be to pay someone to fix your problems for you. If you're willing to do the work then I agree with @Webdongle: visit your backend, update your extensions, update Joomla to v 3.8.13 and provide us with your Forum Post Assistant report. I hope this helps.

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:00 pm

It wasn't my developer who upgraded the joomla, it was my hosting company and they upgraded the php. That's when the problem started.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Bkboutique06 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:00 pm
It wasn't my developer who upgraded the joomla, it was my hosting company and they upgraded the php. That's when the problem started.
Then Webdongle's earlier advice is almost certainly correct; update to Joomla to v3.8.13 (if it isn't there already) and then update all* your 3rd-party extensions to the latest version because that is almost certainly at the root of the issue.

*remember that not all 3rd-party extensions use the Joomla Update Notification System. You will need to carry out a manual audit of your site, identify what's installed and update to current. The FPA output that Webdongle also mentioned will help us to help you identify which extensions you have installed. Please run the FPA and post the output so we can see it.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Would this be compatible with VirtueMart 3.4.0?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Bkboutique06 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm
Would this be compatible with VirtueMart 3.4.0?
You're asking us to guess. I have no idea. The problem could be related to penguins flying over satellite dishes in Antartica.

The problems may, indeed, be related to your webhost upgrading PHP used on your website. You could try asking your webhost for information that they're aware of. It may take several days for your webhost to get back to you with an answer but the answer, in all probability, is because of something specific to do with your website.

The best way to understand what possible reasons may be involved is to follow our various suggestions given earlier.

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Ok thanks. I won't be asking anymore questions. I don't like the way you answer. You don't sound very nice.
Thank you for your help though.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:07 pm

You kind of walked in to that because you failed to supply the requested information. You totally ignored my post
Webdongle wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:08 pm
Update your 3rd party extensions and please viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531
@sozzled welcomed you to the forum and explained why the information was needed. You then shirked responsibility by blaming the Hosting company (yes that is correct you failed to take the responsibility to follow the advice and to post the fpa report!)

@JAVesey reinforced why the fpa report was needed. You then (instead of following the advice and posting the fpa report) asked another question that required guess work to answer.

@sozzled pointed out the futility of the question and yet again explained why we need more information. Yet again you fail to follow the advice and to post the results of the fpa.

If you wont spend time updating your extensions and by posting the results from the fpa ... perhaps you could tell us why we should spend time playing a million guesses with you ?

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Actually I didn't ignore anything that was said. I was going to get the info. But I though I could ask about compatibility. Because I was told different things from different people. So I though I should ask the experts. I didn't know it was a playing guesses. And for your info I was going to provide all the info. It's taking me sometime because I have millions things to do at one. I do put in all the work. I'm not here to waist anyone's time.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 pm

You found the time to post on here but not the time to run the fpa?

Point is you should have acknowledged in a post instead of posting what you did post.

There is no point you posting anything else until
1. You have updated everything
And
2. Post the results of the fpa

We (as has been pointed out several times) are unable to help you until you have done those two things.

Until you have done them you are wasting your time (and ours) by posting anything else.

I will wait patiently and try and help if you do but I can't speak for the others. They may have already put you on their 'Foe' list.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:01 am

@Bkboutique06: I understand that you lack the confidence to look at the backend of your website. By the same token, we're not trying to throw you into the deep end, either.

I do not believe that you have been told different things by different people. Quite the opposite, the various contributors to this discussion have consistently recommended that, in order to get the best possible narrative for why you're having problems, we require information. The best way to provide us with that information is to use the FPA reporting tool ... a tool that most newcomers to this forum have few problems in using.

Contrary to what you've written (that different people have told you different things), you've changed your story:

1. You wrote (at the beginning) that you believed your problems stem from the last Joomla update that "someone" carried out for you. You also wrote that you do not have your Joomla developer available to you any more. I don't know whether the Joomla developer was partly responsible for your problems or not.

2. You then informed us that your webhosting provider updated the version of PHP. This is different from the earlier information relating to updating Joomla. Did these two events occur simultaneously or did you mistake the PHP update for a Joomla update in the first place.

3. You subsequently informed us about VirtueMart. This information was also missing from your previous posts on the forum.

Instead of gradually feeding us with parts of the picture, we've asked for as much information about the current situation as we can obtain. Yes, it's possible that several independent events occurred and the cumulative effect has resulted in the situation you're in. You also may not "like" the advice we've given but, then again, it's not our problem to fix a situation that, because of a conspiracy of incidents, you are now faced with.

I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 am

Oh and if https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/akeeba-backup/ is installed then make a backup. If not then install it and make a backup.

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:10 am

@Webdongle. Because I have another job on the side. I found a developer to take care of it for me. Hopefully the issue will be resolved by tomorrow. Will let you know when it's done. Thank you for your patience! Much appreciate it!

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 am

@sozzled when I said different people, I did not mean people from Joomla. I was talking about people from outside. And I might have mistaken the php update for joomla update. And I do have confidence to go in the backend of my website. I know how to do the basics, but nothing advanced. So I'm just learning about joomla, php, virtuemar as I go along. And I wasn't asking you to fix the problem.
Anyways that's all I have to say. And thank you for providing the information.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:48 am

Bkboutique06 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 am
@sozzled when I said different people, I did not mean people from Joomla. I was talking about people from outside.
We don't know what you know. We are replying to what we read here. Please understand that it's not our job to keep probing you for information, for clarification, about what you mean.

I do not believe that your problems exists solely because of the "Joomla upgrade" causing "issues".

We are not "experts" in everything. We have experience—more experience than you may have—but we're no superior in knowing all there is to know about your website because of it.

We're not about to quibble with you about lacking confidence (although, you wrote at the outset, that you were "afraid to try anything in the backend". Well, that's something you will have to overcome in whatever way works best for you. Either you will need to overcome your fear—develop that confidence—or pay someone who has the skill, the confidence and the competence to undertake the task of remediating and resolving your problems. It's your business, it's your choice and it's ultimately your decision.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:37 am

Bkboutique06 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:10 am
... Because I have another job on the side. I found a developer to take care of it for me. Hopefully the issue will be resolved by tomorrow. ...
It would be a good idea for the 'developer' (that you found) to run the fpa and post the results here. We might spot things he doesn't. Oh and if you use Akeeba you can give the developer the backup .jpa file so they can sort the site without messing with the live site.

Bkboutique06
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bkboutique06 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Will do. Thanks so much!

Return to “Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver”