Very Nice News Articles That Look Like a Whole Web Page

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Jim007
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Very Nice News Articles That Look Like a Whole Web Page

Post by Jim007 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:58 pm

I was scrolling through the web and found a BBC article on China, I clicked on it and was suprised by the quality of the layout. For an article it looks like a website, I would like to see something like this for Joomla, you need to start going outside the box anyways with ideas, this would be a great start.

[ redacted ]

A couple of things, sure you can do this within Joomla, but this is an article. I would like to see it as something that can have SEO, and stay within the article category for future reference etc...

Let me know what you think
Last edited by toivo on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: URL removed

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Very Nice News Articles That Look Like a Whole Web Page

Post by effrit » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:05 pm

make plugin to mark different part of articles like

{zone 1} blablabla{/zone}
{zone 2:background1.jpg} blablabla{/zone}
{zone 3/1} blablabla{/zone}

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Have a look at 'Phoca Bild 3' Template from https://www.phoca.cz/download/category/ ... -templates
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

aamsuzon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aamsuzon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 pm

yes, Phoca Bild 3 template is looking good. thank today I personally finding few templates for my new blog

Thank you #Webdongle

Jim007
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jim007 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:35 am

effrit wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:05 pm
make plugin to mark different part of articles like

{zone 1} blablabla{/zone}
{zone 2:background1.jpg} blablabla{/zone}
{zone 3/1} blablabla{/zone}

sounds complicated, is there a link or a video which explains more in depth without taking a coding class? I'm basic, since joomla 1.5 :)

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am

i don't know easy solution for customizing each page :D
there are page builders, but they are huge components with own logic and limitation.
so if u want something flexible for each article it must be markup plugin.
this one is closest to idea:
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... /rokcandy/

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm

@forum moderators: I reported this topic and asked for it to be relocated to a different forum category. I understand the OP's interest in Joomla but the there's no broad idea in this discussion for the Joomla project. In my opinion, this topic belong in the "Extensions for J! 3.x" forum category.

Joomla, as a collaboratively-authored open source product, is almost as extensible and feature-rich as some of the best proprietory web solutions that have dedicated teams of salaried staff maintaining some of the world's most prominent, high-traffic websites. Of course there are ideas to be gleaned from some of the world's best websites but writing something about how Joomla could create "articles that look like a website" (and using an example from a website whose editorial staff employ a few hundred people) doesn't make a case for change in Joomla, in my opinion.

An "article" (at least in Joomla terms) is just a piece of content (its analogue in Worpress a "post"). Whatever term we may use (article, post, snippet, news) it can be as feature-rich or as bland as we choose to make it. In the Joomla world, at least, there are many ways to enrich an article: we can add content plugins to articles, we can add modules within articles (or within the container of the web page), we can add images, multimedia, colour, animation, etc. limited only by our imagination and the built-in functionality of the browser.

Whether that "article" looks like "a whole web page" (or not) is open to individual interpretation. Technically-speaking, a "whole web page" is just a URL somewhere on the internet.

@forum moderators: please relocate this topic to the "Extensions for J! 3.x" forum category. Thanks.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Jim007
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jim007 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 am

sozzled wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm
@forum moderators: I reported this topic and asked for it to be relocated to a different forum category. I understand the OP's interest in Joomla but the there's no broad idea in this discussion for the Joomla project. In my opinion, this topic belong in the "Extensions for J! 3.x" forum category.

Joomla, as a collaboratively-authored open source product, is almost as extensible and feature-rich as some of the best proprietory web solutions that have dedicated teams of salaried staff maintaining some of the world's most prominent, high-traffic websites. Of course there are ideas to be gleaned from some of the world's best websites but writing something about how Joomla could create "articles that look like a website" (and using an example from a website whose editorial staff employ a few hundred people) doesn't make a case for change in Joomla, in my opinion.

An "article" (at least in Joomla terms) is just a piece of content (its analogue in Worpress a "post"). Whatever term we may use (article, post, snippet, news) it can be as feature-rich or as bland as we choose to make it. In the Joomla world, at least, there are many ways to enrich an article: we can add content plugins to articles, we can add modules within articles (or within the container of the web page), we can add images, multimedia, colour, animation, etc. limited only by our imagination and the built-in functionality of the browser.

Whether that "article" looks like "a whole web page" (or not) is open to individual interpretation. Technically-speaking, a "whole web page" is just a URL somewhere on the internet.

@forum moderators: please relocate this topic to the "Extensions for J! 3.x" forum category. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply. I do appreciate it and I also have a better view where you are coming from. As much as I would like to see articles like this, I hate seeing 3rd party extensions or using them, I have one now (paid) that I relied on and the guy fell off the earth, if I update the php, then the extension stops working which has about 80% of the website info in it. So please understand where I am coming from.

Joomla is awesome, but in my honest opinion it is ran poorly and needs more of an apple approach to doing business when it comes to 3rd party extensions.

I would like to see joomla improve, exceed wordpress, which is why I posted the topic in the first place. Tell me, you weren't in awe over the layout of the article and thought wow they did that, how they do this, or this is classy???? I asked all of that to my self and even used firefox to look at the code, which I will admit I know very little of.

The article consisted of parallax, menu, scroll to, etc it looks just amazing I thought where is joomla in 10 years? wysiwyg editor still ??? DSo as much as you think it should be moved, I think it should stay. I also think we should be looking at the future vs reacting to the now, or in some cases with some joomla short falls, last year. Come on, I didn't opt for a freaking wix site

Jim007
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jim007 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:43 am

I found the place that makes the articles like this, called shorthand...I'd post the link but it would just be removed so type in shorthand, control enter

Jim007
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jim007 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:05 am

Last and final question about this, can I do the same for a menu item by copying the default template, using that template as the article ? which will allow me to change the parallax backgrounds ??? Just trying to figure how to make it better. i see that the shorthand people have a WP and drupal integration :(

Thank you

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”