control panel menu is gone Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
davemmason46
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

control panel menu is gone

Post by davemmason46 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 am

I was adding a user group and somehow lost the menu of the control panel.
This is a new softaculous 3.9 install. php 7.2, maria DB, at webhost python. I have around 20 Joom sites running at present there and all on J3.9.

I had added akeeba admin tools & backup, membership pro, Mosets Tree, Joomspirit Theme and JCE. Of course I did not run the backup yet.

Front end works, but nowhere near complete.

Any ideas on where to look wouls be helpful. Can do no more work until I get this fixed.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: control panel menu is gone

Post by toivo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 am

A good start would be to follow the recommendation above this topic and post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) - viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531.

Secondly, you could update the Error Reporting option in Global Configuration by editing the file configuration.php and changing it to 'maximum'.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 am

Softaculous ... unnnngh!

No backup ... unnnngh!

Can you login to the backend still? You'll need to see if you can go to the Module Manager, select "Administrator" and check the permissions for the Menu module.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:27 am

Also, in your admin tools, did you change or set anything? or they are all by default?
Kian William

davemmason46
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davemmason46 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm

I can log into backend, but there is no Joomla menu at the top at all. None.
Looks like I can see all super user logins(about 6) by me and that is all.
Very familiar with admin tools and I did change very little as I always do on a new site. Later, I will do a lot more with it because it will be USA and Canada only.

I do have a backup, but only from testing akeeba after first install. Naturally, if I had a current(after 2 hrs work), I would not be asking for ideas here.

I really do appreciate any constructive ideas from anybody here.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:25 pm

If you have a backup of your website then I suggest the easiest way to extricate yourself from the situation is to drop the existing database tables, delete the existing site filesystem (after securing the backup [.JPA] file, of course), and restore the site from the backup with Akeeba Kickstart using the .JPA file and accept the loss of 2 hours work.

davemmason46
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by davemmason46 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Solved:
I just deleted the install with softaculous and reinstalled. No big deal.
I use softaculous because it is quick and I am no purist. I now have the majority of the needed components in place and working fine. Still much to be done.

Thanks for the help even if some was a bit off target. Like softaculous.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 am

None of us (experienced users of Joomla) like Softaculous. We receive many problems from people who have used these so-called "quick" installations and they've rued the day that they used them. It's not a question about being a "purist"; it's a matter of using a reliable, trouble-free method. Further, installing Joomla using the standard method takes 10 minutes (or less) and so these scripted methods (e.g. Softaculous, Fantastico and Installatron) don't actually save any time.

In addition, these scripted methods often install out-of-date or "bloated" installations (i.e. installations containing unnecessary additional "features"), so it's really a case of one doesn't know what one is actually installing. That's why we recommend using the normal method involving the transfer of the installation package to the target website and then running the installation procedure. The scripted methods simply obviate the need to spend a couple of minutes in uploading the installation package (that's all) ...

... and then we are asked to help people unravel the messes that are caused by using "quickie" installs.

Pleased that you found a solution. Cheers. :)

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”