Language overrides missing after update to 3.9

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language overrides missing after update to 3.9

Post by Pammie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Hello

After update to Joomla 3.9 I seem to have lost all the overrides.

I have English GB as default language. When I try to create a new override I am asked to select a language and client, but the box to enable me to do this is not there. Screenshot attached.

I've looked in Discover in case there is something that has not updated, but there is nothing.

I don't know what to do now, can you help please?

Pam
overrides.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Overrides

Post by pmleconte » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:17 pm

If anything can go wrong, it will.
https://www.conseilgouz.com/en

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Pammie wrote:When I try to create a new override I am asked to select a language and client, but the box to enable me to do this is not there.
Are there other content languages installed and are those languages published?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for replies, only English GB is installed.

I've tried to reinstall Joomla core files and got an error message
Capture.JPG
Any help gratefully received

Pam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Language overrides missing after update to 3.9

Post by toivo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Did you go to Components - Joomla! Update - Upload & Update, then selected a Joomla_3.9.0 file you had downloaded earlier and clicked 'Upload & Install'?

Does the error message "404 Component not found" occur immediately after you clicked the button Upload & Install'?

Are the override files still there - language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini and administrator/language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini?

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks for reply

I've tried Reinstall Joomla Core using the Live Update, within one or two seconds I get the 404 message.

I've also tried uploading the update package using Upload and Update, The upload completes, I put in my username and pw to install but then get the same 404 message.

In Upload and UPdate there is a message about the php temp folder not being set
PHP warning.JPG
, screenshot attached. I don't know how to set the php temp folder. Site running on PHP 7.2.11

language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini is there, but the administrator language override file is not there, there is only an index.html file.

I have a back up from just before I did the update, is it possible to extract the administrator/language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini from that and upload it? Will that solve the override problem?

Your help gratefully received.

Thanks
Pam

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Pammie wrote:is it possible to extract the administrator/language/overrides/en-GB.override.ini from that and upload it? Will that solve the override problem?
Do you know for sure that you had language overrides in the back end? Adding the file is probably not going to solve the issue.

Pammie wrote:there is a message about the php temp folder not being set
This effectively stops your update. There are instructions how to set it but you may need to ask your host to do that:
https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomla ... s-not-set/

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks for this reply

There were a lot of overrides before as we used an extension with appalling English and I had to override many.

Our server say they have fixed the php temp folder issue. So now I will try to restore the Joomla core files, which will hopefully restore the missing language override folder, though the original overrides will be lost.

Before I do that I have questions:

Is restoring the core files the best way to sort out the problem?

Will restoring the core files change current settings, for eg permissions, articles, log in ...

Many thanks for your help
Pam

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 am

Pammie wrote:I will try to restore the Joomla core files, which will hopefully restore the missing language override folder, though the original overrides will be lost.
Restoring the Joomla core files through Joomla! Update does not replace overrides file. They remains as they are through different version updates, similar to template overrides.

Pammie wrote:Will restoring the core files change current settings, for eg permissions, articles, log in ...
As long as none of the core files have been modified, restoring them through Joomla! Update does not change any extensions, permissions, articles or settings.

Pammie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pammie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I've tried to restore Joomla! core files, but after about 1 second I get the 404 component not found message.

The message about the PHP temp folder has gone, so that's some progress!

I've also tried to upload the update via Upload and Update, however after I had put in my name and pw it immediately went to the 404 component not found message.

Please can you suggest what to do now, I am really stuck.

Many thanks for your help

Pam

Ch1vpH
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Ch1vpH » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I'm also having this issue after upgrading to Joomla 3.9.3 the problem seems to be a missing file I bar.php??

Basically, the query is; the dropdown box to select my English language cannot be seen...

I've tried to reinstall the 3.9.3 update again via the Joomla Backend and 'Components' > 'Joomla! Update' but Akeeba backup kicks in and begins to back up (and fails)...I also tried FTP upload of the update, but I get the same Akeeba problem and even when I try to install/upload the package, the same problem of the backup just going to a blank page occurs!

Its so weird as Akeeba does work, but I did try to re-install it, to no aval...

I also tried to manually ftp/upload the bar.php to this location:
administrator/components/com_languages/layouts/joomla/searchtools/default
...from the latest Joomla v3.9.3 and 3.9.2 and that did not work either?!

Any advice is welcome!

Joomla v3.9.3
PHP v7.1.26
T3 Framework 2.7.4

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”