Finding the source of CPU use

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Finding the source of CPU use

Post by Forsh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm

I was wondering exactly what you do to find what keeps driving your CPU use up? In Cpanel I don't see anything in the last 300 errors, do you just find the IP that accesses the site the most? I don't have any sort of media heavy site, I don't have any special extensions except for an AMP extension, tag, a Mobile extension, SEF....no images, no video
Last edited by toivo on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 3.x Performance

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Finding the source of CPU use

Post by AMurray » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 am

Can you post the FPA please - viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531. There might be something revealed on that report that you haven't considered as a factor.

If it's the hosting server you mean, I'd ask the web host this question. I honestly couldn't given a definitive answer to this question. A lot of factors could influence the server's performance such as in a shared hosting environment; how excessive is the usage as opposed to what you'd consider "normal"? Are you on shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server?

Where are you getting the "heavy usage" stats from - self monitoring or something your Host has advised you of?

There could be automated 'bots' such as search engine crawlers indexing your site causing some load, but I wouldn't think that would be excessive use.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:44 am

AMurray wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 am
Can you post the FPA please - viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531. There might be something revealed on that report that you haven't considered as a factor.

If it's the hosting server you mean, I'd ask the web host this question. I honestly couldn't given a definitive answer to this question. A lot of factors could influence the server's performance such as in a shared hosting environment; how excessive is the usage as opposed to what you'd consider "normal"? Are you on shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server?

Where are you getting the "heavy usage" stats from - self monitoring or something your Host has advised you of?

There could be automated 'bots' such as search engine crawlers indexing your site causing some load, but I wouldn't think that would be excessive use.
Sure, there are lots of details in there though, is the dafault list safe to post here? It's the reason why I never do...If there's no security risk I'll grab that and post it asap. :)

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:31 am

In all the years of the FPA and the many times it has been used I have never heard of anyone having a problem after they have used it.

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 3.x”