Allow users to create, edit, publish, delete articles only in one assigned category Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Allow users to create, edit, publish, delete articles only in one assigned category

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Hi there, I been using Joomla to build sites for quite a while, but most of the sites are managed by me or I give complete access to my client to use it. But I have a problem right know and I really need to assign a user to a specific category so they can only edit/create the articles in their assigned category. I know the ACL gives me permission to grant those privileges but I cannot make it work, the users MUST log through the back end only and whenever they try to publish an article the default category and no other option must be the assigned category.
Sorry if its a noob question but I have been trying lot of things but I have only granted or restricted full access to the article manager and any category in it.
I need to do this for like 15+ categories/users because they only publish articles this way.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Allow users to create, edit, publish, delete articles only in one assigned category

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:12 am

eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Allow users to create, edit, publish, delete articles only in one assigned category

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Sorry, but this documentation is not clear, because when I create a User group and assign permissions nothing happens, but when I assing it to some access level it grants every permission possible, so I dont know where do I have to grant premissions.
When I assign the access level to registered I cant do anything, but when I set it to special I can make anything in the site... it doesnt make any sense, I would like to know where to assign the access group so I can manually assign what the user can do in global configuration > permissions.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 pm

In other words you do not read properly (you do not know where to grant permissions) or do not try to understand since it is darn good documentation. Your perception that you have to assign permissions in global configuration shows that. Please go back to that and digest what is written down. It is a large piece of many many pages and we know by experience that people do not take it in but you will have to and especially look at the examples https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Access_Con ... s_Examples

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:17 pm

I have not been able to enable an specific category to be edited by a user group, I have tried everything but I enable the whole component (article manager).

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Put the Permissions on the Category. Find the Category in Category Manager and open it. See the permissions tab.

eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for your help, but I made this: Created a User group direct child of Public, gave it an "Especial" Access Level, and granted the Administrator Login permission.
But once I did this I have to give permission to Access Administration Interface of Articles which enables the user to create, edit, publish in any category it desires.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:20 pm

The ACL group "Public" refers to anyone who has not logged into your website. Therefore, unless someone logs into your website, the ACL system is not used. Don't put users as children of Public. Put your user groups as children of "Registered". OK?

eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:46 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:20 pm
The ACL group "Public" refers to anyone who has not logged into your website. Therefore, unless someone logs into your website, the ACL system is not used. Don't put users as children of Public. Put your user groups as children of "Registered". OK?
The whole site has only public content, what I am trying to do is limit only the back end users to modify/publish only in their respective categories.
What should I gain if I use the registered group instead?, since I want to manually give access to especific categories?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:06 pm

There are three built-in user groups that have backend access.

1) Superusers
2) Administrators
3) Managers

By default, Managers (who have backend access to allow them to create, edit, publish, delete Joomla articles) can create, edit, publish and delete Joomla articles for all categories. If you want to limit their access to specific categories you can do one of two things: (a) don't allow them access to the backend by making them Publishers (or Authors, or Editors) or (b) modify the ACL permissions on the categories and create User Groups as children of Managers.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 pm

1. Create a user group wit 'Registered' as Parent
2. In Global config ... Allow 'Administrator login'
3. Users >>> Access Levels ... Special ... select the new user Group
4. Content >>> Articles ... Options ... Allow 'Access Administration Interface '
5. Content >>> Categories ... the required Category ... Allow the edit required Edit Permissions.

Users in that group will be able to see all 'Public' Articles etc but only be able to Create, Edit etc. tin the Category you gave the Permissions for. If you want them to see 'Registered' Content then select that user group in Users >>> Access Levels ... Registered.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

eestebanjjosue
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eestebanjjosue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 pm
1. Create a user group wit 'Registered' as Parent
2. In Global config ... Allow 'Administrator login'
3. Users >>> Access Levels ... Special ... select the new user Group
4. Content >>> Articles ... Options ... Allow 'Access Administration Interface '
5. Content >>> Categories ... the required Category ... Allow the edit required Edit Permissions.

Users in that group will be able to see all 'Public' Articles etc but only be able to Create, Edit etc. tin the Category you gave the Permissions for. If you want them to see 'Registered' Content then select that user group in Users >>> Access Levels ... Registered.
I am really grateful... thank you so much!!! that's exactly what I was looking for. I been searching for so long for this... that did the trick.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”