Joomla Vs Wordpress

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
sctravelguide
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla Vs Wordpress

Post by sctravelguide » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:08 am

Hello everyone. I am working on a project for SC Travel Guide and was just curious if you think Joomla is better than WordPress when it comes to an online radio station with playlist set up?

Chad Freeman
MOD NOTE: URL in Manual Signature Removed
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum Rule- Signatures: Must be setup in your Profile (user Control Panel) , and not manually added to your messages.

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

Post by CyrusXxX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 am

Hello Chad, related to your question you can achieve your goal with both cms systems. But yes looking from my perspective Joomla is much more versatile and has much better and stable framework that Wordpress from my point of view.

Also there are plenty of templates and extensions available to you if you go with this adventure using Joomla and website with requirements you mentioned.

Basically if you go with Joomla you will not make a mistake by my humble opinion.
Knowledge is power and power is knowledge.

https://regenesiscomputers.com

simonpdm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Site structure: Joomla Vs. Wordpress

Post by simonpdm » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Joomla Vs. Wordpress ???

Which is the better choice. I've read reviews like https://websitesetup.org/cms-comparison ... la-drupal/ but I'm still not sure which to go for. I guess both are great, but how do you choose one over the other?

At the moment we actually have 2 versions of our new blogsite [ redacted ] a Joomla and wordpress version. However we just want to stick with one of them of course.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by toivo on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: removed URL - please observe the warning about including links to non-Joomla websites!

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Anyone who, as their first post on this Joomla forum, posts their non-Joomla website URL and "asks" the question whether they should convert it to Joomla must think that we're too stupid not to recognise it for the blatant advertising that it is!

I do not understand why these shameless attempts to ruin this forum with blatant advertising are allowed to remain on the forum, like rotting fruit attracting spam maggots.

I have not once seen anyone who, in their first post on the forum, "asks" this kind of J! vs WP "question" and then goes on to write that they've converted from one to the other. Not once! And, remember, there are hundreds of topics on the forum where this "question" has been "discussed"!

So, why do we allow it to continue knowing full well that the people who post these questions will not be convinced by the reason or logic of our advice? I haven't the slightest idea!

We never heard again from @sctravelguide. I don't think we'll hear again from @simonpdm. I don't have a humble opinion about Joomla and I don't really care if non-Joomla website owners appeciate my views about it. I don't have any opinion whatsoever about other CMSes. As far as I'm concerned, people build websites for all kinds of reasons and people use whatever CMS they want to build those websites.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:47 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:49 pm

I don't have a humble opinion about Joomla and I don't really care if non-Joomla website owners appeciate my views about it.
Well sozzled if you really do not care about others humble opinions then why are you so stressed about?
Maybe this is a spam topic but hey it is not end of the world. Report it and it will be deleted. But do not quote me without any reason and insult my humble opinions.

Cheers! :pop

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm not stressed but it sounds like other people are stressed. I reported this topic and it wasn't deleted. I report a lot of these topics and they're not deleted. It doesn't stress me but, as I wrote, it seems to stress a lot of "non-Joomla" people who continually "ask" the same question over and over and over again!

There is no "maybe" about these topics being anything more than unadorned, blatant advertising. They're spam. I see no reason to give these spam merchants any oxygen (and that's just my opinion); nothing humble about that!
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 am

sozzled wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:53 pm
I'm not stressed but it sounds like other people are stressed. I reported this topic and it wasn't deleted. I report a lot of these topics and they're not deleted. It doesn't stress me but, as I wrote, it seems to stress a lot of "non-Joomla" people who continually "ask" the same question over and over and over again!

There is no "maybe" about these topics being anything more than unadorned, blatant advertising. They're spam. I see no reason to give these spam merchants any oxygen (and that's just my opinion); nothing humble about that!
I get it now reading your post it looked to as it was partially addressed to me. Sorry about that sozzled.
To be honest it didnt looked as spam to me then, but now that I think about that I see your point.

Happy New Year sozzled and as I saw in one commercial : Chill out and be happy! ;)

Joowby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla decision

Post by Joowby » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello,

Maybe my question is bit odd but nevertheless. I see you all know your stuff regarding Joomla... I am just wondering whether to start a new Web site with Joomla or so high praised WP.

My question as I lack knowledge. Does Joomla still have leg over WP (? In Future too?)... Should I dive in or stay with WP...

Thanks
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with the topic f=48&t=967067

Matt Bourne
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Joomla decision

Post by Matt Bourne » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 am

Here's why i choose Joomla, at least for my personal view;

25% global websites were powered with WP but at the same times it's a popular target among the hackers, even on my Joomla security log, there's many hacking attempt using WP intrusion patterns

It was more flexible for me, SEO might be a bit lacking, but that was not my primary concern when building a website

The support groups is everywhere and more lively, at least what i personally encountered

There's many Joomla > WP > Joomla migration tools, you can switch every time you need to, this is the flexibility we have nowadays

I don't see what or why is Joomla lagging behind WP now, if you need very simple to use and tones of plugin, go for WP, but if you need extra flexibility, try Joomla or perhaps go for Drupal :D
My classifieds portal at www.pusma.biz is proudly powered by Joomla!

Bdizz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla decision

Post by Bdizz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 am

Joowby wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm

My question as I lack knowledge. Does Joomla still have leg over WP (? In Future too?)... Should I dive in or stay with WP...
I think if you have already created a website that does what you need it to in a certain CMS (say WP in your case) then I wouldn't waste time or money replicating it on another CMS. If you have basic WP skills then it could also be a bit confusing trying to learn how Joomla works. But if your site is old, outdated, and really doesn't work for you anymore then it could be worth looking into Joomla. I feel as though WP does have some good SEO features, while Joomla has better security... they are both good options (better than a few of the other 'popular' content management systems out there that I have extremely negative opinions towards) so have a play around with both and see what one meets your needs best :)

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm

LukeDouglas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm
There is NO best CMS.
Best, most concise and deals matter-of-factly with this waste-of-time question. Y'know, I'd really like to give all those other people who have created these "Joomla vs. something-else" topics a wake-up call by merging the following topics together into one how-to-be-continually-reminded-that-this-question-has-been-answered topic, namely:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=965203
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=946588
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=957506
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=924441
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=948199
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=553537
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=951410
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=874503
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=946130
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=891474
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=937019
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=888372

... and that's just a dozen, separate, topics all "discussing" the same thing!

My next challenge will be to build a website with LEGO® and to write an essay about whether it's better than a website built with Duplo.

LukeDouglas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LukeDouglas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Sozzled,

It was never my intention to cause you grief. Only giving my own personal perspective in response to the previous posts. I will refrain from giving my opinion on this subject from any future posts on Joomla.org.

sozzled wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm
LukeDouglas wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm
There is NO best CMS.
Best, most concise and deals matter-of-factly with this waste-of-time question. Y'know, I'd really like to give all those other people who have created these "Joomla vs. something-else" topics a wake-up call by merging the following topics together into one how-to-be-continually-reminded-that-this-question-has-been-answered topic, namely:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=965203
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=946588
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=957506
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=924441
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=948199
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=553537
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=951410
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=874503
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=946130
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=891474
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=937019
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=888372

... and that's just a dozen, separate, topics all "discussing" the same thing!

My next challenge will be to build a website with LEGO® and to write an essay about whether it's better than a website built with Duplo.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: A spotter's guide to "Joomla-vs-something-else" discussions

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:53 pm

@LukeDouglas: you didn't cause any ruckus with me at all! I was agreeing with you.

However, having written this, I find these Joomla-vs.-something-else comparisons a waste of time. Like you, I chose to try to excel in one kind of webcraft rather than try to be a jack-of-all-trades (and, at the end of the day, be "jack" of 'em all!). Joomla is just a tool, like any other tool, and it's good for some things and not quite as good as other approaches are as far as some other things are concerned.

Every one of these Joomla-vs.-something-else discussions are started by one of three kinds of people:

1) Advertisers: you can spot 'em half-a-world away because they being the topic with "I am thinking about converting my http://non-joomla.web.site to Joomla. Please help; this is urgent!" And, of course, they're probably still "thinking" about advertising their http://non-joomla.web.site on hundreds of other places around the internet.

2) Agents provocateurs: they're not even interested the content of the replies they may get ... as long as they get a bite. Their task is to spread fear/uncertainty/doubt about the reliability of the software platform that people use. Again, they're easy to spot; they begin their post with "I've heard/read that brand-X is better than Joomla. Is this true?" or "Why doesn't Joomla do as good a job as brand Y".

3) The pig-ignorant (with apologies to members of the porcine species): For these people, the best answer is http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22joomla+vs%22+AN ... eamweaver)

As far as people who are genuinely interested in "Joomla vs. something-else", most of the people I've encountered who fall into this category are actually quite intelligent and they do their own research. The don't become help-vampires, sucking the life-blood from the forum community, by asking a question that has been asked, and answered, hundreds of times before.

Joowby
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Joowby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 am

@LukeDouglas: Thanks

@sozzled: I am not 1 not 2 not 3.
Did my research already 10 years ago. Didn't dive in... Did my research in last 6 months again, well still (-:

LukeDouglas opinion was my result. Never intended using Drupal, sure never say never... Too dry for my profile of knowledge.

10 years ago was only Joomla realdeal, but as mentioned did not dive in... Did not get wet.

Now I am in a process of needing to dive in...

For 1st project I chose WP out of 2 reasons at that time. One being less of a learning curve and equally important finding a good theme.

Now as I am working on the project I am blending together dry research knowledge of WP and actual doing knowledge.

I see that if I go for Joomla too for some projects I have no intention leaving WP all together as Woocomerce is on the go.

However I see Joomla could be as I thought already 10 years ago a "MS-DOS" stable... And would like to use it for other projects, mainly where there is not ecommerce main concern...
so thanks guys.

I am not a help vampire, just wanted to ask on Forum where real users are instead of watching [youtube] topics all the time...

Brg

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: A spotter's guide to "Joomla-vs-something-else" discussions

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 am

I hope that people aren't going to isolate parts of one person's written comments from the context in which they were made.

I wrote that there are three kinds of people who create (or start) these Joomla-vs-something-else discussions. I made no comment about other people who participate in those discussions irrespectively of how I and others are motivated to become involved in these matters. Please, let's not infer some other meaning from something that I didn't write. 8)

Return to “The Lounge”