Protostar menu hover issue

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Protostar menu hover issue

Post by marksfish » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi all. Due to a botched upgrade from 2.5.28 to 3, I have installed 3.9.1 and started afresh. It has given me the opportunity to refresh the content of my basic site and use new, clean databases. I am happy using the default Protostar template as it suits my needs and have only made minor changes, but none to the css file. I am creating single articles and using the menu manager to assign them on the homepage. So far so good. I have 4 menu items labelled Home, Discus, Marine, Tips. Each of the articles the menu button links to has links to other articles within the site which are placed in 3 categories. When arriving at the homepage, the Home link is solid blue, the other links turn grey as you hover over them, great. When clicking the Discus menu link, the Home link stays blue and the Discus stays as a normal link. Both other menu items work as expected. I have also noticed that if I navigate from a menu page to another article, the Home link becomes blue again instead of staying on the correct category. Not sure if I am explaining this very well?

I have deleted all of the menu items and emptied the trash to enable me to create new, but for some reason the same problem is occurring. I am sure it is a simple fix, but so far, Google has not been my friend :( .

Thanks for anyone that may know what I am rambling on about.

Mark

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Protostar menu hover issue

Post by KianWilliam » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 am

If I am not much mistaken, your problem is just the appearance of the links menuitems before and after being clicked or hovered. If this is the problem in custom.css file(or template.css file if you do not update your template) use below code:
linkclassnameorid:visited, linkclassnameorid:link
{
color:#blah;
}
linkclassnameorid:hover
{
color:#blah;
}
you may also use path to link for example : ul li.item123 a:hover and you may be needing to override using !important
Kian William

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am

Thank you for your reply. I will look in the template.css file. Do I just place the code anywhere in the file, or must I overwrite some other code?

Thanks again.

Mark

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am

Menu module Position 1
Advanced tab >>> menu class suffix ... nav-pills (it has a leading space).
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks webdongle. Doing as you say gives the links as text above each other, rather than the "button" effect I currently have.

I have uploaded a video to [youtube] in the hope it explains better than I can what the issue is.

https://youtu.be/-N0119Fp3xQ

Many thanks

Mark

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm

My instructions give (with Protostar Template) drop down menu items like on my site.

One of the biggest mistakes is to forget to put a space before nav-pills
Another mistake is to use a 3rd party menu module
Another is to change 'End Level' from 'All' to '1'

Addendum
You need child menu items for the dropdown to work. If you have no child menu items then there is nothing to dropdown for.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm

I think @Webdongle "gets the gong" for explaining how to fix this issue. Even I learnt a thing or two from it! :)

marksfish wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am
Thank you for your reply. I will look in the template.css file. Do I just place the code anywhere in the file, or must I overwrite some other code?
I don't know how many times I have written this, but at the risk of repeating myself again, as far as is humanly possible—and human nature is always tempted to do the wrong thing—never change any files that are created within software that you, yourself, haven't written. If you must make your own customised changes, then find other ways to override whatever it was that was done by people who write software (including CSS).

Let's look at the whole situation: we're discussing Protostar. While there are few changes made by the Joomla developers as far as Protostar is concerned, changes do happen. If people have modified the original Protostar files (including the file ../templates/protostar/css/template.css) and they update from one version of J! to another—and the process replaces that file—we get the inevitable "My J! website looks like garbage since I updated J!" litany of complaints.

Protostar allows people to add their own custom CSS. This is done by creating a file named user.css. The whole path is, therefore, ../templates/protostar/css/user.css. This file is not replaced when one updates J! (because only originally-supplied files are affected by updates and this file was never created to begin with).

So, when people write—even with good intentions—to edit the file template.css file "if you do not update your template", I cringe. Maintaining a website doesn't mean that people will not—intentionally or otherwise—"update their site template". Maintaining a website means that people should update their software (after testing of course on a test site) when new software is released.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm
My instructions give (with Protostar Template) drop down menu items like on my site.
Thank you for the explanations. I have looked at your site and I am not needing drop down links thank you, but I would like the colour to stay on the selected menu item. As can be seen in the video, moving from home with the blue highlight to Discus, leaves the blue highlight on home. The other links work as they should.

The space was in nav-pills by default.
No 3rd party menu module, everything is standard, no plugins have been downloaded.
Not sure what the All- 1 is, but I will now go and look.

Thanks

Mark

edit to add: End Level is set to All as default.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm

marksfish wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm
As can be seen in the video, moving from home with the blue highlight to Discus, leaves the blue highlight on home.
Some extensions change the active menu item—the highlighted colour—and some don't. What extension did you use to create the Discus (sic) menu item?

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I just went into Menu/ Main Menu/ New and filled it from there with a new single article. I then went to Options and set Show categories, Show author, Show publish date, Show Print and Show hits set to Hide. I did the same making every menu item.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:04 pm

I'll be back again in about two hours and I'll check it out on one of my J! 3.9.1 test sites. We'll see then.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Thank you.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 pm

See http://vanilla390.enduring.com.au (select "Lorem Ipsum" menu item). I don't have the issue that the OP asks about, sorry.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 am

Oh so the problem is not with hover but with ... when you click the 'Discus' menu item the Active hilite resorts to the Home menu item ?

What menu item type is the 'Discus' menu item ?
Last edited by Webdongle on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 am

@Webdongle: in @marksfish's case, I think you're right. I can't reproduce this issue in the same way as the OP describes the circumstances, namely, Menu » Main Menu » New, Menu Type = Single Article

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 am

Yes ... when the 'Discus' menu item is Active it's the Home menu item that has the 'Active' class added to its <li>. Without having direct access to admin it will be difficult to spot the error that the OP is making.

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:03 am

marksfish wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:44 pm
When clicking the Discus menu link, the Home link stays blue and the Discus stays as a normal link. Both other menu items work as expected. I have also noticed that if I navigate from a menu page to another article, the Home link becomes blue again instead of staying on the correct category.
The behavior is similar to having multiple menu items assigned to the same category so the active class is being inserted to the default menu item when viewing an article, but when in category view, the proper menu gets the active class.

If that's not the case for you, the issue is probably being caused by the Artio SEF due to misconfiguration, disable the extension and run the test.

What menu type is the Home item assigned?

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

Thank you all for trying to help me. I appear to have totally broken it now with my meddling, everything stays at Home, so I may look down another avenue. Thank you very much for your time.

Mark

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

PM me a Super Admin login and I will take a quick first hand look if you like ?

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:58 pm

That would be great thank you, will do so now.

Today I have deleted all of the menus to remake them. the solid colour then only stayed on the Home area. I also noticed that even though I changed the category, author, etc to hide on the menu, they still showed. I had to go to the article and select hide in there too. I have pulled out what little hair I have left on this today, should have stuck with my basic html skills and tables :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm

First thing to notice when logged in is
Error
We have detected that your server is using PHP 7.0.33 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 7.1 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2019-12-01. Please ask your host to make PHP 7.1 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 7.1 ready please enable PHP 7.1 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.
Addendum
You have other errors. Please update the php version then run the viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531 and post the results.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm

The host doesn't have 7.1 available to my plan, it was all I could do to get it updated from 5.4, so I can't update it further.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Forum Post Assistant (v1.4.7 (litoralis)) : 11th January 2019 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 3.9.1-Stable (Amani) 27-November-2018
Joomla! Platform :: Joomla Platform 13.1.0-Stable (Curiosity) 24-Apr-2013
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Read-Only (444) | Owner: --protected-- . (uid: /gid: ) | Group: --protected-- (gid: ) | Valid For: 3.9
Configuration Options :: Offline: false | SEF: true | SEF Suffix: false | SEF ReWrite: false | .htaccess/web.config: Yes | GZip: false | Cache: false | CacheTime: 15 | CacheHandler: file | CachePlatformPrefix: false | FTP Layer: false | Proxy: false | LiveSite: | Session lifetime: 15 | Session handler: database | Shared sessions: false | SSL: 2 | Error Reporting: default | Site Debug: false | Language Debug: false | Default Access: 1 | Unicode Slugs: false | dbConnection Type: mysqli | PHP Supports J! 3.9.1: Yes | Database Supports J! 3.9.1: Yes | Database Credentials Present: Yes |

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.32-896.16.1.lve1.4.54.el6.x86_64 | Technology: x86_64 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip, deflate, br | Doc Root: --protected-- | System TMP Writable: Yes | Free Disk Space : 104.91 GiB |

PHP Configuration :: Version: 7.0.33 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: Yes | Display Errors: | Error Reporting: 32767 | Log Errors To: error_log | Last Known Error: 11th January 2019 18:36:32. | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: | Safe Mode: | Open Base: | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. POST Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: -1 | Max. Execution Time: 30 | Memory Limit: 128M

Database Configuration :: Version: 10.0.37-MariaDB (Client:10.0.37-MariaDB) | Host: --protected-- (--protected--) | default Collation: utf8_general_ci (default Character Set: utf8) | Database Size: 6.18 MiB | #of Tables:  105
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (7.0.33) | date (7.0.33) | libxml (7.0.33) | openssl (7.0.33) | pcre (7.0.33) | sqlite3 (7.0.33) | zlib (7.0.33) | bz2 (7.0.33) | calendar (7.0.33) | ctype (7.0.33) | curl (7.0.33) | hash (1.0) | filter (7.0.33) | ftp (7.0.33) | gettext (7.0.33) | gmp (7.0.33) | SPL (7.0.33) | iconv (7.0.33) | pcntl (7.0.33) | readline (7.0.33) | Reflection (7.0.33) | session (7.0.33) | standard (7.0.33) | shmop (7.0.33) | SimpleXML (7.0.33) | mbstring (7.0.33) | tokenizer (7.0.33) | xml (7.0.33) | cgi-fcgi () | bcmath (7.0.33) | dom (20031129) | fileinfo (1.0.5) | gd (7.0.33) | imap (7.0.33) | json (1.4.0) | exif (7.0.33) | mcrypt (7.0.33) | mysqli (7.0.33) | mysqlnd (mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: b5c5906d452ec590732a93b051f3827e02749b83 $) | PDO (7.0.33) | pdo_mysql (7.0.33) | pdo_sqlite (7.0.33) | Phar (2.0.2) | posix (7.0.33) | pspell (7.0.33) | soap (7.0.33) | sockets (7.0.33) | tidy (7.0.33) | timezonedb (2018.7) | uploadprogress (1.0.3.1) | wddx (7.0.33) | xmlreader (7.0.33) | xmlrpc (7.0.33) | xmlwriter (7.0.33) | xsl (7.0.33) | zip (1.13.5) | Zend Engine (3.0.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions ::
Disabled Functions :: system | passthru | popen | exec | proc_close | proc_get_status | proc_nice | proc_open | proc_terminate | highlight_file | escapeshellcmd | define_syslog_variables | posix_uname | posix_getpwuid | apache_child_terminate | posix_kill | posix_mkfifo | posix_setpgid | posix_setsid | posix_setuid | escapeshellarg | posix_uname | ftp_exec | ftp_connect | ftp_login | ftp_get | ftp_put | ftp_nb_fput | ftp_raw | ftp_rawlist | ini_alter | ini_restore | inject_code | syslog | openlog | define_syslog_variables | apache_setenv | mysql_pconnect | eval | phpAds_XmlRpc | phpAds_remoteInfo | phpAds_xmlrpcEncode | phpAds_xmlrpcDecode | xmlrpc_entity_decode | fp | fput | shell_exec | apache_get_modules | mail |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: No | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (LiteSpeed/Cloud/Grid): No
Potential Ownership Issues: Maybe
Folder Permissions :: wrote:Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (---) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) | administrator/logs/ (755) |

Elevated Permissions (First 10) ::
Database Information :: wrote:Database statistics :: Uptime: 6112395 | Threads: 6 | Questions: 867689376 | Slow queries: 1401 | Opens: 26790900 | Flush tables: 291 | Open tables: 400 | Queries per second avg: 141.955 |
Extensions Discovered :: wrote:Components :: SITE ::
Core :: com_mailto (3.0.0) 1 | com_wrapper (3.0.0) 1 |
3rd Party:: Content (3.0.10) ? | Contacts (3.0.3) ? | NewsFeeds (3.0.3) ? | Users (3.0.3) ? | Search (3.0.4) ? | WebLinks (3.0.4) ? | Tags (3.0.1) ? | Wrapper (3.0.3) ? | Mail To (3.0.1) ? | Banners (3.0.3) ? |

Components :: ADMIN ::
Core :: com_redirect (3.0.0) 1 | com_joomlaupdate (3.6.2) 1 | com_config (3.0.0) 1 | com_categories (3.0.0) 1 | com_plugins (3.0.0) 1 | com_privacy (3.9.0) 1 | com_messages (3.0.0) 1 | com_banners (3.0.0) 1 | com_media (3.0.0) 1 | com_cache (3.0.0) 1 | com_newsfeeds (3.0.0) 1 | com_contenthistory (3.2.0) 1 | com_login (3.0.0) 1 | com_postinstall (3.2.0) 1 | com_modules (3.0.0) 1 | com_content (3.0.0) 1 | com_finder (3.0.0) 1 | com_users (3.0.0) 1 | com_menus (3.0.0) 1 | com_languages (3.0.0) 1 | com_admin (3.0.0) 1 | com_actionlogs (3.9.0) 1 | com_templates (3.0.0) 1 | com_associations (3.7.0) 1 | com_cpanel (3.0.0) 1 | com_checkin (3.0.0) 1 | com_fields (3.7.0) 1 | com_ajax (3.2.0) 1 | com_tags (3.1.0) 1 | com_installer (3.0.0) 1 | com_search (3.0.0) 1 |
3rd Party:: System - ARTIO JoomSEFURL (4.0.0) ? | System Language - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.1.0) 1 | System - ARTIO JoomSEF Google Analy (4.0.0) ? | System - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.0.1) 1 | Extension Install - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.1.1) 1 | Content - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.0.0) 1 | com_sef (4.7.5) 1 | com_jhackguard (2.0.2) 1 |

Modules :: SITE ::
Core :: mod_related_items (3.0.0) 1 | mod_tags_popular (3.1.0) 1 | mod_login (3.0.0) 1 | mod_banners (3.0.0) 1 | mod_whosonline (3.0.0) 1 | mod_custom (3.0.0) 1 | mod_stats (3.0.0) 1 | mod_users_latest (3.0.0) 1 | mod_wrapper (3.0.0) 1 | mod_finder (3.0.0) 1 | mod_articles_popular (3.0.0) 1 | mod_articles_latest (3.0.0) 1 | mod_articles_category (3.0.0) 1 | mod_syndicate (3.0.0) 1 | mod_feed (3.0.0) 1 | mod_breadcrumbs (3.0.0) 1 | mod_tags_similar (3.1.0) 1 | mod_random_image (3.0.0) 1 | mod_menu (3.0.0) 1 | mod_footer (3.0.0) 1 | mod_languages (3.5.0) 1 | mod_articles_archive (3.0.0) 1 | mod_articles_categories (3.0.0) 1 | mod_articles_news (3.0.0) 1 | mod_search (3.0.0) 1 |
3rd Party::

Modules :: ADMIN ::
Core :: mod_multilangstatus (3.0.0) 1 | mod_version (3.0.0) 1 | mod_login (3.0.0) 1 | mod_custom (3.0.0) 1 | mod_privacy_dashboard (3.9.0) 1 | mod_latest (3.0.0) 1 | mod_latestactions (3.9.0) 1 | mod_quickicon (3.0.0) 1 | mod_toolbar (3.0.0) 1 | mod_popular (3.0.0) 1 | mod_submenu (3.0.0) 1 | mod_feed (3.0.0) 1 | mod_title (3.0.0) 1 | mod_menu (3.0.0) 1 | mod_sampledata (3.8.0) 1 | mod_logged (3.0.0) 1 | mod_status (3.0.0) 1 | mod_stats_admin (3.0.0) 1 |

Libraries :: SITE ::
Core ::

Plugins :: SITE ::
Core :: plg_installer_packageinstaller (3.6.0) 1 | PLG_INSTALLER_URLINSTALLER (3.6.0) 1 | PLG_INSTALLER_FOLDERINSTALLER (3.6.0) 1 | plg_quickicon_phpversioncheck (3.7.0) 1 | plg_quickicon_privacycheck (3.9.0) 1 | plg_quickicon_extensionupdate (3.0.0) 1 | plg_quickicon_joomlaupdate (3.0.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_image (3.0.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_module (3.5.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_pagebreak (3.0.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_menu (3.7.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_readmore (3.0.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_article (3.0.0) 1 | plg_editors-xtd_fields (3.7.0) 1 | plg_search_contacts (3.0.0) 1 | plg_search_newsfeeds (3.0.0) 1 | plg_search_categories (3.0.0) 1 | plg_search_tags (3.0.0) 1 | plg_search_content (3.0.0) 1 | plg_privacy_message (3.9.0) 1 | plg_privacy_consents (3.9.0) 1 | plg_privacy_actionlogs (3.9.0) 1 | plg_privacy_user (3.9.0) 1 | plg_privacy_content (3.9.0) 1 | plg_authentication_cookie (3.0.0) 1 | plg_authentication_gmail (3.0.0) 0 | plg_authentication_joomla (3.0.0) 1 | plg_authentication_ldap (3.0.0) 0 | plg_finder_contacts (3.0.0) 1 | plg_finder_newsfeeds (3.0.0) 1 | plg_finder_categories (3.0.0) 1 | plg_finder_tags (3.0.0) 1 | plg_finder_content (3.0.0) 1 | PLG_ACTIONLOG_JOOMLA (3.9.0) 1 | plg_twofactorauth_yubikey (3.2.0) 1 | plg_twofactorauth_totp (3.2.0) 1 | plg_system_languagefilter (3.0.0) 0 | plg_system_logout (3.0.0) 1 | plg_system_remember (3.0.0) 1 | plg_system_sessiongc (3.8.6) 1 | plg_system_redirect (3.0.0) 0 | plg_system_highlight (3.0.0) 1 | plg_system_p3p (3.0.0) 0 | plg_system_updatenotification (3.5.0) 1 | plg_system_debug (3.0.0) 1 | plg_system_logrotation (3.9.0) 1 | PLG_SYSTEM_ACTIONLOGS (3.9.0) 1 | plg_system_log (3.0.0) 1 | plg_system_languagecode (3.0.0) 0 | plg_system_privacyconsent (3.9.0) 0 | plg_system_fields (3.7.0) 1 | plg_system_stats (3.5.0) 1 | plg_system_cache (3.0.0) 0 | plg_system_sef (3.0.0) 1 | plg_extension_joomla (3.0.0) 1 | plg_fields_editor (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_integer (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_sql (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_color (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_radio (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_checkboxes (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_usergrouplist (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_imagelist (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_textarea (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_list (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_url (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_calendar (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_repeatable (3.9.0) 1 | plg_fields_user (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_media (3.7.0) 1 | plg_fields_text (3.7.0) 1 | plg_captcha_recaptcha_invisible (3.8) 0 | plg_captcha_recaptcha (3.4.0) 0 | plg_user_terms (3.9.0) 0 | plg_user_profile (3.0.0) 0 | plg_user_joomla (3.0.0) 1 | plg_user_contactcreator (3.0.0) 0 | plg_content_pagebreak (3.0.0) 1 | plg_content_emailcloak (3.0.0) 1 | plg_content_joomla (3.0.0) 1 | plg_content_confirmconsent (3.9.0) 0 | plg_content_loadmodule (3.0.0) 1 | plg_content_vote (3.0.0) 0 | plg_content_finder (3.0.0) 0 | plg_content_pagenavigation (3.0.0) 1 | plg_content_fields (3.7.0) 1 |
3rd Party:: System Language - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.1.0) 1 | JHackGuard Plugin (2.0.4) 1 | System - ARTIO JoomSEF Google Analy (4.0.0) ? | System - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.0.1) 1 | Extension Install - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.1.1) 1 | plg_editors_tinymce (4.5.9) 1 | plg_editors_codemirror (5.40.0) 1 | Content - ARTIO JoomSEF (4.0.0) 1 |
Templates Discovered :: wrote:Templates :: SITE :: protostar (1.0) 1 | beez3 (3.1.0) 1 |
Templates :: ADMIN :: isis (1.0) 1 | hathor (3.0.0) 1 |

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Time to start looking at other webhosting providers, I think. If the webhosting provider you're using isn't giving you the service that you're paying for then it's time to move on to another one.

As @annahersh astutely observed earlier, Artio SEF is [often] responsible for causing problems with J! websites. That extension is unnecessary and you can remove it.

You may also want to try Extensions » Manage » Discover to see what is displayed and use this feature to install those extensions that weren't successful with the usual installation process.

Max Upload Size and Max. POST Size settings (for PHP) are unrealistically low. Low values for these settings can cause problems with installing/updating J! and extensions you may want to use.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by marksfish on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm

marksfish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:50 pm
sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:45 pm
Time to start looking at other webhosting providers, I think. If the webhosting provider you're using isn't giving you the service that you're paying for then it's time to move on to another one.

As @annahersh astutely observed earlier, Artio SEF is [often] responsible for causing problems with J! websites. That extension is unnecessary and you can remove it.

You may also want to try Extensions » Manage » Discover to see what is displayed and use this feature to install those extensions that weren't successful with the usual installation process.
It is a hobby website, I don't rely on it for revenue generation. For £30 quid a year, I can't complain.

Artio was disabled and made no difference, so I re- enabled it. I prefer it enabled as I can see what is going on more than I can with the standard Joomla interface.

No Matching Results

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 pm

For 30 quid a year, you can't complain that your webhosting provider cannot offer you a supported, reliable, properly maintained hosting environment? Fair enough: it's your site, it's your business and it's your problem, I guess. You're getting what you paid for.

marksfish
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by marksfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 pm
it's your business and it's your problem, I guess. You're getting what you paid for.
As I said, it's a hobby site, I have 3 other hobby sites on my account. It's a shared server. It is not currently 7.1 compatible, but will be at some time in the next few months. Let's not get personal eh?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 pm

As I said, fair enough. I wasn't being "personal"; I was making an observation and alerting you to some clear facts.

Fact 1: PHP 7.0 (and PHP 7.1, for that matter) are at end of life and no longer supported. As you've already written, your webhosting provider has had to be dragged—kicking and screaming, it would appear—into updating PHP from PHP 5.4 (which reached its end-of-life nearly 3½ years ago):
marksfish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm
... it was all I could do to get [my plan] updated from 5.4, so I can't update it further.
Question: What would happen if you could get your plan updated?

Fact 2: @Webdongle and I have both found problems with your website configuration. These need to be fixed. For example, Artio SEF is unnecessary (and has been the subject of complaints discussed on this forum before) and while you may have disabled it, you didn't uninstall it. You have PHP settings for Max Upload Size and Max. POST Size that are unrealistically inadequate as far as ongoing website maintenance are concerned. You have a number of extensions that were not successfully installed and the "extension discovery" procedure may be helpful in remedying these matters.

Fact 3: There are over 25 million Joomla websites in the world and every one of them is different. Of course everyone's website are their owner's business and the choices they make are theirs and theirs alone. Yes, managing a website is personal. This is a self-help forum: we can only offer you our advice based on our own personal experience(s).

Fact 4: We cannot reproduce the symptoms of your problem(s) on the website(s) that we manage.

Good luck for the future. 8)

annahersh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by annahersh » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

I don't think there is anything programmatically wrong with your site, as the same issue occurs with your holidayalmeria site.

You have assigned the home menu item to category which already has a menu item, so 2 menus with different IDs are showing the same category and when viewing an article, the active css class is being passed to the default Home menu item ID.

Change the home menu type to Featured Articles to see if the error goes away.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”