Invisible reCAPTCHA passed solutions less than 50% of the time

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Invisible reCAPTCHA passed solutions less than 50% of the time

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi, I am trying the new recaptcha plugin on 2 sites. I am getting some various warnings from Google and the website.

From Google:
We detected that your site is verifying reCAPTCHA passed solutions less than 50% of the time. This could indicate a problem with your integration with reCAPTCHA. Please see our developer site for more information.

The website:
A PHP Exception occurred on your site. Here you can find the stack trace:

Exception Type: RuntimeException
File: /home/****/public_html/*****/plugins/captcha/recaptcha_invisible/recaptcha_invisible.php
Line: 152

Now one website is using RSForm Pro so perhaps it has something to do with this but both sites are getting gthe same Google error message at the recapthcha site.

I have used RSForm's invisible recapthca plugin for some time now with no issues. Only when using it with the Joomla plugin does this seem to happen.

Thanks

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Invisible reCAPTCHA passed solutions less than 50% of the time

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 am

So no replies on this. Both sites I am using the new plugin Google says.

We detected that your site is not verifying reCAPTCHA solutions. This is required for the proper use of reCAPTCHA on your site. Please see our developer site for more information.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 am

Dave, suggest you open an Issue for this on https://issues.joomla.org so it can be checked

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -
#Joomla Webmaster Services: gws-webmaster.services
STAY SAFE!

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks Leo, I have added this to the issue tracker.

Quy Ton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Quy Ton » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Searched Google on the warning message and found the following that may apply in your case:
This happens if you have issues with response verification at later stage e.g. your own website fails to properly process returned response from Google, when reCaptcha response test actually pass. This can happen for various reasons. For example, when you use reCaptcha on your server as a top layer to verify users coming from dirty IPs known for spamming activities. In our case it was caused by small analytics script which was sending response to the server before captcha was fully processed on the server, causing our server to respond with premature 403 Access Forbidden status, and eventually blocking all such users from access, even when they passed the actual captcha test. We solved it by removing the offending js code, replacing it with our simple internal statistics tracking of failed and passed captchas, instead.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi Tom, thanks for looking, but I am not sure about that. I use 3rd party invisible recapthca plugins normally and have zero issues. I only started trying the Joomla invisible recaptcha as it's new.

I can just use the 3rd party one for now or the old version 2. It is possible it's some issue with my configuration but since I am not using the standard Joomla form but 3rd party forms it could be that.

I'll do more testing and see what I can find. I do have one site that uses only a Joomla based form.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:39 pm

It appears to be only an issue when using 3rd party extensions that can utilize the core plugin. I switched a site that only has the Joomla Component Contact form and the error message does not show up on Google.

RSForm Pro
JoomDonation
DJ Catalog

These use the core plugin but the error is there. I wonder what changed? They were using the recapthca v2 without issue via the core plugin.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”