Request new forum category for "Forum Post Assistant" topics and discussions Topic is solved

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Request new forum category for "Forum Post Assistant" topics and discussions

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 pm

mandville wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:37 pm
would it help if i moved the old (2.5 etc) fpa topics from public view
It would help if the older FPA-related topics were moved into the new FPA category that @Webdongle and I have been discussing, yes. And if the old J! 1.0, J! 1.5, J! 2.5 "security" topics were locked (if they haven't already been locked) ... yes that would help if they were relocated to the new FPA category we're talking about. They [kind of] give us a sense of "history". :)

Cheers and thanks.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Request new forum category for "Forum Post Assistant" topics and discussions

Post by Webdongle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:27 pm

@sozzled
I totally agree

@mods
Please, please. please ... set it up asap ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm

We have added a new forum board:

viewforum.php?f=806

Please bare with us, until we have moved the corresponding topics over to the new forum board.

Kind regards
Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:45 pm

As much as @ooffick would like to bare (bear?) with us ... what's stopping this activity? Several of us have requested this matter to be addressed as a priority.

Please bear with us also, Olaf, because this matter isn't going away.

Create the forum category; place the new forum category on the Board Index. It's a one-minute job. After that, we can inform you what topics can be relocated to that new category. There aren't many of them (no more than about six or so).

The sticky post issue can be addressed after that. It's really simple. I think you're complicating it.

Paralysis by over-analysis.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 am

The new forum category for FPA-related matters has been created!
newFPAcategory.jpg
It may not be quite how @Wedongle and I envisaged it but beggars can't be choosers. This is, indeed, a big day.

Now that we've overcome the biggest problem—getting the forum category created—there are only the minor matters of

a) harvesting the old/outdated topics (as @mandville suggested)—I wouldn't necessarily remove them from public view but we could move them to the new forum category;

b) creating a new sticky post for this forum category (with words that we can agree upon) that can be referenced as a kind of "canned response" in replying to novice users of the forum who need to be instructed in using the FPA; and

c) replacing the "pink-area" references to point to the new sticky I've mentioned in point (a) above.

Identifying and moving the old "stickies" is pretty easy, actually. Here they are:
That's it: just four of them. These old sticky posts can be unstickied in the new forum category (well, maybe not the last mentioned which contains the current instructions) as long as they remain locked.

Excellent work and thanks. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 am

ooffick wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm
We have added a new forum board:
Not quite it is a sub forum of Other Forums near the bottom ... not a board of it's own near the top. There is no sticky in it and the 'Forum Post Assistant' link does not lead to it.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:15 am

Yeah, @Webdongle, but, as I wrote "beggars can't be choosers". It took us a whole lot of begging to get any momentum on this front, in the face of some very fierce opposition, but we've made a start. At the very least, we can capitalise on that much (or little), right? ;)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

We're in the home straight: we've got the new FPA forum category and we've moved the old stickies from their former homes into it. The last remaining task is to update the "pink" that is displayed at the head of the J! 3.x forum categories and topics.

The last change that I propose (after which I will happily consider this discussion resolved) is to modify the "pink" in the manner illustrated below:
FPA-pink.png
It's a very simple change. It's a change that will only take a couple of minutes.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm
We're in the home straight: we've got the new FPA forum category ...
Not quite. We have it as a sub forum under other 'Other forums'. imho there are two more things to do.
1. Give it its own forum (between Joomla! Announcements and Joomla! 3.x - Ask Support Questions Here).
2. Like you said ... change the link target.

My reasoning for #1 is:
The fpa is relevant for all Joomla versions and Operating Systems. Thus the fpa forum should be correctly placed (in the Board index) to reflect its hierarchical place above different Joomla versions and different operating systems.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 pm

We got 99% of what we asked for which is better than where we started four months ago. I'm happy and I'm giving this discussion a tick. 8)

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 pm

does viewtopic.php?f=621&t=656394 need moving over?
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 pm

@mandville: no. The topic you refer to—it's located in the FPA forum category—that topic does not need moving anywhere. We've pretty much tidied up collecting all those old/outdated topics into one place. Thanks for your question but I think we're fairly safe.

What might be a good idea, however, would be to place the "test" FPA category (viewforum.php?f=804) and make it a sub-forum/category of this new FPA forum category. Would that be possible?

ooffick
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ooffick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 am

Hi,

What would be the purpose of this test category?

Kind regards
Olaf
Olaf Offick - Global Moderator
learnskills.org

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 am

@ooffick: we can discuss the purpose of the FPA test category (viewforum.php?f=804) elsewhere on GithHub, if you like. I fear we will get bogged down with a nonsense discussion if we spend time here. Yes?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:53 pm
What might be a good idea, however, would be to place the "test" FPA category (viewforum.php?f=804) and make it a sub-forum/category of this new FPA forum category. Would that be possible?
"Mission accomplished". Thank you very much. :)

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”