Will Joomla! 3.x templates continue working in Joomla! 4.x?

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windwood
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Will Joomla! 3.x templates continue working in Joomla! 4.x?

Post by Windwood » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm getting ready to change templates on one of my sites Joomla 3.9.3 installations. Siteground template doesn't work with PHP 7+. I have a few questions concerning what might be best template to use with Joomla 4 coming. I've currently switched to using Beez3. It's the only core template left in my install. So, before I spend a lot of time styling, I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Where can I find a download of the standard issue templates?
Which template might be best to be ready for Joomla 4?
Does anyone know if the new Joomla 4 will have an effect on templates?

Thanks in advance,

Love this forum
Last edited by toivo on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled - please read the forum rules about choosing appropriate subject line from https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Will Joomla! 3.x templates continue working in Joomla! 4.x?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm

The greatest change will be the upgrade from Bootstrap 2.3.2 to version 4.

Bootstrap is not backward compatible, so templates like Protostar will not work. Get a Joomla 3 compatible Bootstrap 4 template.

https://github.com/sniggle/joomla-bootstrap4-template

https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomla-news/css-grid/

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm

So no 3rd party templates will work with if they are using Bootstrap 3? I am trying to find out what my template needs to work with Joomla 4. My current template is Bootstrap 3 based and the developers are not updating yet. They will but will it have to be based in BS 4?

They are using BS 3 now but you indicate it's not backward compatible? So it must be BS 4 to work?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

DaveOzric wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm
So no 3rd party templates will work with [J! 4] ...?
In much the same way as

1) No J! 1.0 templates will work with J! 1.5;
2) No J! 1.5 templates will work with J! 1.6/1.7/2.5;
3) J! 2.5 templates will not work with J! 3

It is unlikely that templates developed for J! 3.x will interoperate seamlessly with J! 4.

It's not simply that the templating framework in J! 4 leverages Bootstrap 4. The codebase in J! 4 has changed from J! 3.x just as the codebase changes with each new major release of J!. Remember, too, that J! 4 is still in alpha development and the design paradigm is not yet fixed in concrete. Furthermore, it is uncertain what timeframe we're really discussing about the release of J! 4.0.0 but the indications are that it probably won't happen this calendar year. It all depends on how involved people are in designing and building as well as testing J! 4.

One certainty, without a doubt, is that J! 4 will only operate with PHP 7. If people haven't already begun to use PHP 7 now then they'll certainly have problems in the future, won't they? First things first: people need to get ahead of the game and go to PHP 7 before anything else.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Let's try again, will Bootstrap 3 work with Joomla 4?

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”