Why use mootools instead of bootstrap & jQuery user consent and privacy plugins? Topic is solved

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Why use mootools instead of bootstrap & jQuery user consent and privacy plugins?

Post by darb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:12 am

Hi Joomlers,

I see this blog post by dgrammatiko and just want to know why the reason still to use mootools for this user consent and privacy plugins? Is this not possible to change and use bootstrap & jQuery instead? its impact for many Joomla sites is obvious like test of dgrammatiko..

The user consent and privacy plugins both have a modal that is not using the already loaded libraries of Bootstrap and jQuery but they are loading yet another library (Mootools) and another modal script. Total size cost: around 200kb. Performance cost per page: over 1-second delay on top of the known delay due to Bootstrap and jQuery of more than 2 seconds (values reflect 3G emulation on Google's Lighthouse).

https://www.dgrammatiko.online/the-hidd ... f-frontend

what you think?
Last edited by toivo on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved on request from 3.x Coding

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Why use mootools instead of bootstrap & jQuery user consent and privacy plugins?

Post by Webdongle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 am

Probably because the devs come and go and each have their own approach ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Why use mootools instead of bootstrap & jQuery user consent and privacy plugins?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 am

Mootools was deprecated in 3.0

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:15 am

So, basically, this discussion topic is just a promotion for someone's blog / personal opinion that hasn't been peer-reviewed or supported by any independent research. In my opinion, the article is a baseless load of garbage.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 am

Now this is interesting ... Is deprecated code actually being used?

frostmakk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by frostmakk » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 pm

@sozzled
Dimitris Grammatikogiannis is definitively not just a someone, and naming his opinion as baseless load of garbage is immensely disrespectful towards a contributor that has been waist-deep in developing Joomla for years.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 pm

As I wrote before, this topic is just advertising for someone's personal blog. There is little information in the article that's mentioned in the opening post that is either based on fact or that has been peer-reviewed. The article states that using jQuery and Bootstrap adds additional load time for people viewing Joomla websites. This assertion has not been confirmed by independent testing/benchmarking. Until that peer review has been undertaken, until extensive benchmarking by independent researchers has established the facts, the article consists of a number of vague assertions and speculation.

If we were to permit discussions on this forum that take one person's op-ed piece (written on their own website) then we could extend it to using the forum to critique just about anything.

The OP asked for comments and feedback. I've given my comments and feedback. I've read other "lounge" topics from the OP in the past and I don't feel that they really help. If there was a performance hit, in terms of using Bootstrap and jQuery, then it pretty much negates all the good work that was done in J! 3.x and the future for J! 4 going forward. So, what are we to do now? Are we to change mid-stream and abandon jQuery and Bootstrap in favour of going back to Mootools? Is that the purpose of this discussion?

Perhaps someone can clarify what is the problem and what we might do about it, please.

In my opinion, the best place to alert the development team to a problem with the new privacy consent features of J! 3.9, is to use the Joomla Tracker. If that's not done then, I have to say, the argument put forward in the article is baseless (at best) and garbage (at worst). Has this matter been reported to the dev team?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Further to the discussion, I tested the privacy consent feature on a test site and, indeed, the privacy notice modal is powered by Mootools (it seems) on the Protostar template. While that's curious, I did not find it to have created any appreciable lag in displaying the consent form. Yeah, it's probably that the consent feature uses some legacy code instead of using a jQUery call.

It's not, however, a "big problem" (as claimed in the article) but it may be worth discussing why the feature was designed that way. Cheers. 8)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:22 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:36 pm
... and, indeed, the privacy notice modal is powered by Mootools (it seems) on the Protostar template. ...
Wonder if it's the Privacy modal calls mootools or the Template? If the former then it begs the question 'why does a new feature use deprecated code'?

frostmakk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by frostmakk » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:10 am

sozzled wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Has this matter been reported to the dev team?
I believe you're missing the point here. Dimitris is part of the dev team, and this is a dev team discussion.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:41 am

I believe, as a member of the community with the right to provide input to GitHub, that if this matter was actually important then the item would have been flagged as something to be actioned. It hasn't. QED

Bakual
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Bakual » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:34 am

This blog post of Dimitris seems to be quite old then.
Consent uses BS modal since 3.9.1 (https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/22926)

If there are still Mootools based modals used, please open an issue on GitHub and it will be fixed.

As for what deprecated means: It means it is planned to be removed (likely with 4.0) but can still be used currently. It's recommended not to use it, but technically there is nothing wrong with using it.

Return to “The Lounge”