Manual update method? 3x

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
stuffdone
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Manual update method? 3x

Post by stuffdone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Good day all!

I was just running updates on a hand full of sites today and had 4 that just resulted in blank screen in the update process. On one it was an old extension. Removed and update went as planned.

It it is an extension on others I cannot yet determine which one because same extensions also on sites that update normally. Will figure that out later.

But in searching for the manual update method I find that in Joomla docs with a bug red warning: Please don't use these methods until this notice is removed.
So what is the proper method to apply a update package to 3.9.5? Or is there no manual method as may be indicated by the above rather ominous warning to NOT use their own instructions.

I guess I can just leave 3.9.4 in place until this matter is solved.

( database checks all okay, no warnings except the "normal" about php temp path which I always seem to have but had never caused any issue that I can see )
// :p
--- http://www.Stuffdone.com ---
Web Design and Hosting since 1995

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: J! 3.x — "manual" update method?

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I am sure that if you search this forum to read my advice on this subject, there is only one approved, recommended method people should use to update Joomla. This means that people should use the Joomla! Update component. Any other "method" could be likened to using blačk magic as an alternative to science. I'm not surprised, however, that in the face of this consistent advice, people continue to search for so-called "manual" methods ...

The "documentation" at https://docs.joomla.org/Updating_Joomla_(Manual_Method) was written at a time when there was no Joomla! Update component. That's why the "documentation" has that bold-red warning.

It is extremely unlikely that a website, that started its existence before J! 3.9.0, say, and has been regularly maintained over time (using the Joomla! Update component) all the way through to J! 3.9.4, could not be updated using the Joomla! Update component to J! 3.9.5. If this happened, there were other changes that occurred between J! 3.9.4 and J! 3.9.5.

Also, if you search this forum for advice about "blank screens", you will find why "blank screens" occur: PHP errors. Enable Joomla debug mode and set the error reporting level to "Maximum" to discover the reason; look at the error_log file.

It's my guess that these websites have something in common. It's only a matter of how serious you want our professional science-based advice or whether you would prefer to use an occultist/sorceror/shaman/witch doctor ... 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

stuffdone
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Manual update method? 3x

Post by stuffdone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Ok so back to the issue at hand. Since the automatic version does NOT work on a couple of sites.

So I guess the revised question is:

What is the method of a manual upgrade "official or not"?

Please do not reply with stuff that is not actually an answer to the question I asked as I am not seeking opinions on alternatives to this as I have already gone through that hence this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm

stuffdone wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Ok so back to the issue at hand. Since the automatic version does NOT work on a couple of sites.
Let me try to unpack this statement in a way that may make some sense.

The only recommended method for updating from J! 3.9.4 to J! 3.9.5 is to use the Joomla! Update component.

This is not the same as saying that the Joomla! Update component uses only one specific method. There are several options available when using this component.

In the past (back in the days of J! 1.5 and earlier), there was no Joomla! Update component. In fact, back in those days, there were no minor releases to those versions. J! 1.6 changed all of that.

Even so, the Joomla! Update component has undergone many changes.

Joomla has undergone many changes.

Let's also understand what we mean by "manual" method(s). Updating from one version of J! to another is not merely a case of replacing existing files with newer versions of those files. In some cases, some existing files were renamed or deleted. Therefore, if one was to approach updating J! as merely a case of copying all the files extracted from the distribution package and replace/overwrite all the files that exist on the server, one would not effect the other changes involved (namely, folder/file renaming or deletion).

Along with changes to the filesystem that I have just mentioned, updating Joomla also involves structural changes—at times involving reformatting—of the database.

Therefore, unless there's an easy-to-understand "manual" approach to effect the replacement/relocation/deletion of existing files and effect the structural changes involved, I think we would all be using that so-called "manual" method, wouldn't you agree?

The Joomla! Update component takes care of those things (all things being considered) but occasionally—for reasons that have not been identified in all cases—it doesn't. There are millions of J! websites around the world today and every one of them is different.

So, in answer to your revised question, there is no "official"—supported or recommended—manual method for updating J! However—I think it's important to add this:

a) there are reasons why people are unable to use the Joomla! Update component "automatically" (for want of a better term) occasionally;
b) there are reasons why "blank screens" appear;
c) these "blank screens" usually mask the underlying cause of why the Joomla! Update component fails;
d) I cannot guess why you are getting these "blank screens" but I wrote earlier how you may be able to find the cause(s) of those things; and
e) if you're serious about this matter, I encourage you to use the Forum Post Assistant and we might have a better understanding of what are the underlying causes in your specific situation.

I don't know if this comprehensively covers your question(s) but I sincerely hope it helps.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm

If you use the FPA utility - viewtopic.php?f=806&t=969442 - maybe we can determine what extension is not compatible with 3.9.5 or causing the problem. I doubt if it is Joomla itself, and more likely to be a third-party extension you are using.

Before updating you should run check for extension updates - but if none are found, do a manual audit and check the developer websites.

I don't know what PHP version you're on, but if your host allows you to choose versions, try an earlier version, just to see if it will work or not as it may be a third party extension that doesn't work with the latest PHP.

Leaving it as 3.9.4 is probably risky and there's a reason these updates are released, in order to patch security vulnerabilities and bugs, not necessarily to release new features.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm

AMurray wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm
I doubt if [the inability to use the Joomla! Update component—resulting in a "blank screen"—lies within] Joomla itself, and more likely to be a third-party extension you are using.
That's one possibility but I would imagine that the problem would have manifested itself going from J! 3.9.3 to J! 3.9.4 ...

A more probable cause—one I tried to generally "waved my hand" at earlier—is some other change that occurred after updating to J! 3.9.4. While it was the case that, in one situation, a third-party extension was responsible and, by uninistalling that extension, the update completed successfully, we don't know what is the obstruction in the other three cases.

Memory limitations? CPU execution timeout? Incorrectly configured global settings? Network problems? Hosting issues? PHP environment? Corrupted database tables?

None of these factors have been considered that we can see. None of us can guess, without further information, what might be involved.

Millions of J! websites around the world. All of them are different. 8)

The essential point is that there is no official (or not) one-size-fits-all "manual update" method.

stuffdone
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by stuffdone » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Okay. So the answer is no one knows the answer to my actual question.

All the other stuff I have read elsewhere already and I get that.

Thanks

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Is there a manual method to update from J! 3.9.4 to J! 3.9.5?

Post by sozzled » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:03 pm

??? I thought I answered your original question and your revised question. What do you mean "no-one knows the answer to my actual question"?

It's true that we don't know why three of four of your websites fail to update from J! 3.9.4 to J! 3.9.5. It's true that we don't know anything about any of your websites. You haven't given us any information that would help us to help you. What else would you like to know?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:53 pm

If you are having problems with your server fetching the update package then
Download the update package and upload it to the /tmp folder. The Joomla >>> components >>> Joomla update ... will find it.

You can also uownload the update package then the Joomla >>> components >>> Joomla update ... Upload&Update (tab).

The Joomla >>> components >>> Joomla update ... check for updates will allow you to reinstall core files when your Joomla is up to date.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”