Multiple Languages

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Multiple Languages

Post by musclepug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi everyone.

I am still very new to Joomla though have managed to create a functioning site thanks to a template which I installed.

I have a question regarding languages, my site is in 3 different languages - English, Spanish and German.

When I am on a listing for a business for example, I use the buttons at the top of the page to switch the language, this is linked to the languages in the root of Joomla I am told by the template creator, however when changing the language the user if thrown from the business listing to the homepage. Not ideal if the user simply wants to change the language when viewing the page, as they then have to re-search/navigate their way back to where they were.

Hope the above makes sense, wondering if there was a plugin or something that would inevitably stop this from happening.

Many thanks for your help

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Multiple Languages

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic to the Language Forum.

You have to relate the articles with the same content in different languages to each other. Then you will switch to the same title among languages.

musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by musclepug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Thank you for the reply, yes I have managed to do this, however on a different section of the site, it is not possible, only for articles/blogs not for the business listings. I just wondered if there was a way around this.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:10 pm

What extension are you using for the business listings?

musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by musclepug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 pm

I am not entirely sure, I am using a template from CMSJunkie to create the site, so unsure of what the ext is. How do I find out? Apologies I am very new to Joomla.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Check the Menu item.

Is it listed under the Components menu in Administrator?
How do you add entries to the listing?

musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by musclepug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:15 pm

I have these options

https://ibb.co/0fz1Fc4

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 pm

You are probably using this component: https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... directory/

musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by musclepug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Apologies yes, this is the one I am using, this is the issue I am having, I just wondered if there was a way to somehow fix the issue whereby the user of the site is viewing a business listing and then changes the language, instead of the language simply changing there on the page, the site refreshes and kicks the user back to the search listings page, they then need to navigate back to where they were to view the page in the selected language.

The support team said that for the business listings the component uses joomlas' language selection, I want to know if there is a fix maybe for this, like a plug-in?

The language selection works for the articles, and they have their associated versions respectively, there isnt a problem with that, however for the business listings there are not associated version options.

Do you know of a plugin, as I can imagine this problem would occur with other components too? If they are using the native joomla language tool.

Just a guess.
Thanks for your help so far.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:24 am

I guess your listings have different contents depending on the language.
Imho if the extension is not implementing Items associations, there is not much you can do.

I see in your sceenshot above that the extension is using categories.
If these are typical joomla categories, there is a possibility to associate them.
Also if you have created associated menu items, at least some aspect of the extension can be associated.

It is impossible for us to test this as the extension is not free.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:26 am

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Mu ... unterparts

Aren't you able to assign the menu items together?

Being a paid extension, their support should guide you through the set-up.

musclepug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by musclepug » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am

Many thanks for your help on this guys, and apologies for the delay, the project had been put on hold until now.

Yes still having issues with this, I have contacted the template creators and they say this is not a possibility, as with the "business listings" there are no associations as such.

When entering business information in the back end text boxes there are tabs for the languages you wish to enter in this only decides where these languages will show if you are on the specified language Deutsche, English, Spanish for example if nothing is entered in the Spanish tab then it will default to English.

This problem does not exist with the articles as these have proper associations.

Is there some sort of module that could fix this that anyone knows about?

My guess is that without having any associations it is nearly impossible to be able to switch the language, without having to link directly to each individual page?

@infograf768 yes the template is using categories, the site does work and the site does show the correct languages when selected, the issue I am having is that for example - if you were looking at a business listing of a restaurant called ABC Restaurant, and you were viewing the site in English, if this was wrong and you wanted to change the language to Spanish, the user is then thrown to the homepage (start), they then have to search to go back to the listing to be able to view in Spanish language.

The ABC Restaurant would be in the category Food and Drink, or in German "Essen & Trinken", when imputing the content, only the English is available and the template would translate it and put it in "Essen & Trinken" when the site is viewed in German, I am not associating the German version to a category "Essen & Trinken"

Most sites would just change and wouldn't put the user back to the start, it is strange as there are some forms of associations, but not the integrated ones used for the articles, where a complete version is in another language and directly assigned to that language.

I hope that makes sense, I don't think there is a way around, as the creators have told me such. Just wondered if any Joomla geniuses knew of a workaround :)

Thanks again for your help.

aihumlae69
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aihumlae69 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 am

Thank for all information. @Per Yngve Berg

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 am

Just wondered if any Joomla geniuses knew of a workaround :)
I doubt. We are just volunteers and we can't even test this extension as it is not free. The component would have to be rewritten which obviously would be an important job and should be done by the original coders.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”