Need help setting up multilingual site.

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Crashbandicol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Need help setting up multilingual site.

Post by Crashbandicol » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi,

Joomla v3.9.8
I'm struggling trying to set up my first multilingual site. Could someone clarify the basics for me?
Do I need to fully duplicate the main menu (all menu items), or just 2 menus with a single link to the home pages? Also, does all content, articles modules etc., need to be duplicated?

Thanks,
Colin.

creativesights
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Need help setting up multilingual site.

Post by creativesights » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:44 pm

You need one default menu with a default menu item.

From there you create a menu for each language. Just because you have a link in one language you don't have to have one in another language.

I've attached some screenshots of one of our sites as a reference.

-Menus
screenshot-administrator_index_php_option=com_menus&amp;view=menus-20190626-1018.png
-Default Menu
screenshot-administrator_index_php_option=com_menus&amp;view=items&amp;menutype=default-menu-20190626-1019.png
-English Menu
screenshot-administrator_index_php_option=com_menus&amp;view=items-20190626-1040.png
-Spanish Menu
screenshot-administrator_index_php_option=com_menus&amp;view=items-20190626-1041.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew Crossan
CreativeSights
Professional Custom Website Design & Development in San Diego
https://www.creativesights.com

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:20 am

Reviewing the documentation https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingual_Site would be of help.

Be known that in Joomla! 3.x, you could create a simple multilingual site (with just one menu item per language) while installing Joomla! You could do this and see how things are configured. Make sure not to install the sample data during the installation.

Crashbandicol wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm
does all content, articles modules etc., need to be duplicated?
The short answer is Yes. The long answer is "it depends". If all the content are different then they have to be duplicated for each language. If there are common content such as modules, they need not be duplicated. For example, the login module or footer module need not be duplicated.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Crashbandicol
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Crashbandicol » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks very much for your help. I feel I'm making progress.
I have managed to set up the menus and the language switcher is working.
I do appear to have a problem though. I have set the default language to Slovak,, but when the site is opened in Slovakia, it opens in English?

Hope you can help.

Regards,
Colin

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm

I do not mind reviewing the site. What you could do is to create a site back-up using Akeeba Backup and provide the link to download the back-up file. This way, I would download the back-up file, install it on my local environment and review the site.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”