What difference for SEO if the HOME page Article come from a Blog Category or Single Article?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Chacapamac
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

What difference for SEO if the HOME page Article come from a Blog Category or Single Article?

Post by Chacapamac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Just starting a multilingual Joomla 3 (Last version) website.

I remark that the multilingual system create 2 main categories

In my case (French/English) > Category (en-gb) & Catégorie (fr-fr)

The system also creates 2 Home page articles, one for each language in each corresponding category and their Home menu items as > Articles » Category Blog pointing to each category.

My 2 question is about maximizing SEO.

Question one:
What is the difference or any advantage to having the Home article belonging to an Articles » Category Blog menu item or can it be changed to a Single Article menu item without adverse effects on SEO?

Question Two: (Maybe more for the multilanguage forum ???)
Should I put all my English categories as sub-categories of Category (en-gb) (same for the french categories) or in another main English & French top category?
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: What difference for SEO if the HOME page Article come from a Blog Category or Single Article?

Post by waarnemer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 am

1. Isn't it that if you point to a single item the url will be domain.com/en/singleItem and if it is linked from the blog page it looks like domain.com/en/category/singleItem
And when it is the home page, it just shows domain.com/en/

2. Simply because the alias of the category is in the URL and should preferrably be huma readable too, I do create categories for each language, a car is no voiture... oh wait... it is ;)

... technically you don't have too..but it looks better... but sometimes when it is only a category for administrative reasons, I will leave it to ALL languages...

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: What difference for SEO if the HOME page Article come from a Blog Category or Single Article?

Post by sozzled » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:19 am

OK ... let's try to understand what SEO means.

Your article has metadata, right? Except for nine-out-of-ten website owners who never enter meaningful article metadata, that's where search engines get a lot of the information needed to index web content. And what happens when there's no article metadata? Well, search engines try to index whatever text they consider may be useful.

Now, a blog is a collection of articles, right? And a blog is created by a menu item, right? And the menu item has metadata, right? Well, except for nine-out-of-ten website owners who never enter meaningful menu metadata, that's where search engines get a lot of the information needed to index "the blog". And what happens when there's no menu metadata? That's when the search engines use whatever the site owner has written in the Global Configuration metadata.

Now that we know what SEO means, we need to understand how search engines work. In relation to the second part of the original question, which about how to "maximize SEO", you need to pay attention to the metadata settings in articles, in categories, in menu items, in components ... basically, everywhere you can find them. And then you're ready for the search engines to take that content and turn it into something that people will find when they search for whatever-it-is-that-they're-searching-for.

When I write articles that I want to be indexed, I submit the URL of the article to the search engine. But, hey, what would I know, right? :D
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Chacapamac
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chacapamac » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks “waarnemer” — If I understand well, You said:
Single Article = url —> domain.com/en/singleitem
Category Blog = url —> domain.com/en/category/singleItem

Home page = url —> domain.com/en/
If I understand well, doesn't matter if a Front Page (Home page) include a Single Article or a Category Blog article or no article at all, as the URL will always be —> domain.com/en/ ?
Can God help us?
Marketing, SEO, Web development - Powered by Joomla!
http://www.grafcomm.ca/

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Chacapamac wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm
the URL will always be —> domain.com/en/ ?
on a home page yes... with a complete set of mod rewrite and SEF enabled that is...
on any other page it will follow the path of the sequential aliasses.
though if a page can be reached in different ways, in the past it could be confusing as the url may not resemble the path to get to that page... new routing system had that sorted I believe

anyway

SEO/SEF is more than just rewrite and set all meta info.
It is a proper combination of a lot of things.
But it starts with humans. If you make your site for humans you are 90% on your way.
Since the algorythm of Google and some of the others are trying to act as human as possible in order to get the relevance of the sites pages and content, build for humans...
This 90% can be completed with this 10% technology to have a 100%.......

However, if the relevance of the product you are trying to sell, or the information you like to publish is of no relevance to the audience... your 90% part is worth nothing. The owner of the site needs to have something to offer! ie. being an outstanding baker, baking the best cookies in the world but with a singlepage HTML webpage on GoDaddy, will score better in Google than that lowsy baker with a top notch seo/sef website on an outstanding hosting provider..

He has the best of cookies.... that is what counts....

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”