StackOverflow and Joomla: some interesting questions to think about

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

StackOverflow and Joomla: some interesting questions to think about

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm really not sure how to begin this topic. I guess, in part, "something" just captured my attention over the past few months that I thought I would share with the community.

(Some general background here: https://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issu ... k-exchange)

As many of us who struggle to find everyday answers to problems and questions with J! will know, StackOverflow [SO] is a wonderful trove of information. Type a question into Google and, odds-on, there'll be a reference to the issue in SO. Yeah, I know, SO answers questions about just about everything—even LEGO®—but that's not the point. What seems to fascinate me is that SO is well-managed— "clean" (if you'll permit me to use the description)—uncluttered and organised. In other words, it's relatively easy to search for the answers you're looking for; "relatively" compared to some other places. Everything's relative!

I'm not suggesting that SO would replace the Joomla! Forum. However, there are some advantages in using SO and I'd like to hear your thoughts. I wonder how they keep it clear of spam? :pop

Just a few thoughts. Cheers. 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: StackOverflow and Joomla: some interesting questions to think about

Post by waarnemer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:59 pm

Yes you are right there is a lot you can find on SO by just typing your question in Google..
But when you are a newbie/noob you can be turned down badly by so called self declared experts...

The SO crowd can be harsh whereas the joomla forum community is much more friendly... beginners are welcomed here...

How they keep it spam free? Money! You may not see it when stumbling upon answers found by google... But it is a commercial platform...

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: StackOverflow and Joomla: some interesting questions to think about

Post by sozzled » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Excellent answer, @waarnemer. I agree that when people see a welcoming community that they're more likely to use it (regardless of a pay-to-use requirement). The welcoming atmosphere here at the J! forum is definitely an attraction.

While it's nice to be a welcoming community—and I think, on the whole, we are—when I'm seeking answers to technical problems, I'm comfortable with the direct approach. Some people may see directness as harsh; sometimes the truth is uncomfortable.

Unfortunately though, outside the walls of the J! forum, the usefulness of the J! forum is not held in such high esteem ... and that's the pity.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. Much appreciated.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “The Lounge”