Migrating articles from one website to another Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Migrating articles from one website to another

Post by Forsh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:55 pm

Is there a component (or way) to export a few hundred or thousand of Joomla articles from one website and import them into another with little hassle or complication? Not using phpmyadmin or manually with the database somehow, just export and import with Joomla.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Migrating articles from one website to another

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Yes. There are a couple of ways to do this (but there may be some additional tasks to perform after performing the activity).

One way is to export the articles (from the source site's database) and import them into the target site using phpMyAdmin. Another way is to use an extension, like J2XML.

This may help: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22export+joomla+ ... ew+site%22
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:44 pm

I prefer to ask people on forums that specialize in certain topics. It's real easy to search for things and get lots of bad suggestions on Google. I think of it like reviews. I would never Google for a review of what someone thought about a restaurant over the advice of people I knew that really ate at the restaurant and that I know wouldn't give me bad advice.

I have been on these forums since 2005...14-years and so I trust people here more than I trust Google with certain questions and discussions.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 pm

It depends on what you need to do. If you need to simply copy a collection of articles from one J! 3.9.13 website to another J! 3.9.13 website, then I would use phpMyAdmin. Other people recommend using J2XML.

If, however, you wanted to copy articles from a J! 1.5.x website to a J! 3.9.13 website then you would need to do something quite different.

Lastly (and a little off-topic) the only "reviews" that I have total confidence in believing are those reviews that I penned myself.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Forsh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Forsh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 am

J2XML was a great recommendation I had never heard of it before. I downloaded it and can only manage to move about 100 articles at a time before things seem to time out for me but it's working. I'm moving about 4,000 per day so by the end of the month I should have everything moved.

I might start using that to backup articles in categories because it's very convenient.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”