Make Joomla site mobile friendly

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
adamnet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Make Joomla site mobile friendly

Post by adamnet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 pm

I started creating Joomla web sites 20 years ago, using a specific template which for those years and after was good enough. Nowadays I would like to turn these sites (not all of them but some of them would follow the way) into becoming mobile friendly. The template I have been using for my sites production unfortunately is not going to be upgraded by the company who designed it. To change and go with another template is out of the question as this means building from scratch... In your opinion what is the most strategic way to go ahead?
Thank you for your time

Panagioths

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Make Joomla site mobile friendly

Post by AlexVega » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 pm

Hi there,

Maybe you already read this many times... but again, depends on each site. What kind of sites you are building?, What different they are from each other?, What is your technical level?, What about the size of each site?, Wich Joomla versión are you using in your sites?... etc.

Try to seach "Joomla Frameworks" or "Joomla template frameworks", some options to consider are Gantry, Helix and T4. You also can use CSS to adapt your content and the HTML structure, in this case seach for "CSS Framework", Joomla! 3 for example is based in Bootstrap 2.3.2 but you also can use more modern versions too.

I hope this works as a starting point.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 pm

You don't necessarily have to rebuild it from scratch. Apply a new template, and adjust the modules being used to relevant module positions for the new template (that would be the minimum effort involved).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

adamnet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adamnet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:37 am

AlexVega and AMurray thank you for your answers. I am a desktop windows application developer and later continued as a Joomla websites developer. Almost all of my sites are of the same kind and more or less the same content. The Joomla template for each site, since it has the same basic origin, is the same in terms of position names but is different in terms of site width, css definitions, module positions e.t.c. So every site has to be considered as a separate case. I currenty try to manage a Joomla application which has its own mobile template but needs many clarifications and settings in order to work. In order this to work, I have to assign every old template position to a new template position of this app.
Maybe what AMurray has proposed is the cleanest solution,
Thank you.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”