Site indexes beautifully in Bing but nowhere on Google Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dml311071
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Site indexes beautifully in Bing but nowhere on Google

Post by dml311071 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Joomla 3.9.20
PHP 7.4.7
Gantry 5.4.34

Hi,

I have a site that has indexed perfectly in Bing but Google refuses to show any result for the name of the site

webal.co.uk

search term 'webal'

A replacement site is in progress, but the site has been operational for about a year ( it was set up quickly while I was defining my services as a Joomla site developer)

I'm fine with HTML CSS bit of JQuery and template/module level PHP and basic site optimisation (the site has GT Metrix scores of 99% and 96%) but SEO is my weak point! And, being honest, find it boring.

I have Google Structured Data, EFSEO and OSMap running on the site but Google just seems to avoid the site altogether! This is confirmed in Google Search Console.

If anyone can see any obvious reasons that would be great, also a link to modern Joomla SEO techniques in English would be helpful too.

Thanks! :)

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Site indexes beautifully in Bing but nowhere on Google

Post by gws » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:21 pm

You are last on the first page of google with the search term "webal" when I checked, UK using FF 78.0.2. Content is King for google and you do not have much.

dml311071
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dml311071 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi gws

Yes, I may have been under the impression that relevance should play more of a part. In fact after posting the question I then installed Route-66 and found that the content sits below several critical metrics.

Conclusion: my 'knowledge' of SEO is out of date and I shall find resources to rectify this, then re-create the site with a greater amount of relevant content.

:)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:11 am

Searching 'webal' in DuckDuckGo lists you 4th on the first page of results.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

dml311071
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dml311071 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks AMurray

I did notice that Bing and DDG seem ok. It is just Google that places me down around 45 to 55 dependent on its mood. TBH I've found that Google results seem not so relevant in the last couple of years. Old and out of date links and pushes towards infotainment and shopping over relevant content. I get the impression that it has shifted towards ecommerce and 'listless' content, I've found myself using Bing and DDG more often than before. But the behemoth that is Google, eventhough it swaps harvested search styles for required info, is still far too big to ignore.

Jamescolleen
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jamescolleen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 pm

The site is well indexed in Google as pointed out by gws. I checked on Google India and you were on page 7.

He's right about content being king - you should update content regularly if you want quicker indexing by G. When G sees you have regular updates, the spider visits your pages often enough to check for those updates.

dml311071
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dml311071 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Hi James,
Yes, I've missed some basics! tbh I just find SEO so dull and laborious; it feels like working for a machine to me.
Anyhow, I am now building a replacement site to expand the content and increase my Blog content.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 pm

4th on gogle
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein.

dml311071
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dml311071 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks webdongle

4th! Yes, of course, Google has assumed I am looking for 'webmail' - once corrected it does rate quite high

You'd think Google would rate a url text match over an assumed error though! Perhaps I'm getting old...

Thanks everyone, looks like I have my tasks defined :)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”