LTR <-> RTL switch problem

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: infograf768, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
tactico
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

LTR <-> RTL switch problem

Post by tactico » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:26 pm

hi
i have a multi-lingual website (Hebrew & English)
i have noticed after update to recent joomla (3.9.20) that there is a problem when switching language.
website default is Hebrew. when changing to English, texts and menu are English, but in the <html> tag lang="he-il" dir="rtl"
as a result, the english website is aligned to right and not left...

if i change the default language to English the website loads correctly but when switching to Hebrew - it is all aligned to left

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thank you

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: LTR <-> RTL switch problem

Post by infograf768 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:43 am

Hard to help without access to your site administration with superuser credentials.
Update to 3.9.20 has no impact on multilingual sites, but it maybe concerns some of your third party extensions including your template and/or cache.

A first test would be to use protostar template instead of your template and delete all caches.

If it does not work you may contact me privately with the necessary credentials and ref to this topic and I will have a look.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: LTR <-> RTL switch problem

Post by infograf768 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

I had a look.
It is always the site default language taking over the real language in use, therefore, when Hebrew is default, RTL is loaded also for English. And the opposite when en-GB is default.

Code: Select all

<html lang="<?php echo $this->language; ?>" dir="<?php echo $this->direction; ?>">
This is definitely not a Joomla core issue.

SPagebuilder mixed with K2 and your 3rd party template are creating such problem as I could not even load Protostar to test with the default J core site default template.

Sorry, can't help further as I would have to create exactly the same site locally and check these 3rd party code for this bug.

I suggest you contact these developers.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”