Template Creators/Page Builders - basic questions & speed issues

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
scifivision
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Template Creators/Page Builders - basic questions & speed issues

Post by scifivision » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:05 pm

Originally when I designed my Joomla site I used Artisteer to create a template and absolutely loved it, but that program is obsolete now.

I’m trying to find a template builder so I can make my site look exactly as I want it (really I want to keep a lot of my layout but my template is still majorly outdated. My site is SLOW. (Although it’s clean now if you’ve seen my other posts) I’m not sure if the main issue is the server, but I’m investigating other ways to help it - in case this is an issue.

I used Themler at one point but either I couldn’t really get it to do what I wanted or it was the one that was really hard to use/ran slow, and then eventually moved on to Nicepage (who created Themler and Artisteer). Long story short, due to lack of time I never got around to messing with the program enough.

I still have the program without updates and was going to try it before I went on to upgrade it or buy a different one. The thing is, I read some places that Nicepage can slow your site down and one one post on this forum someone said it had bloatware? Can someone please explain to me what this means and if it would slow down my site.

Alternatives so many. Suggestions? My main thing is I want it to be specific. I’m not sure if you can have quite as much control in some of the programs like nesting modules tables, whatever. I also want it as a template so I need the actual joomla content to work in it - I know some programs they expect you for example if you make a slider to edit in the program. Not helpful if I can’t put articles in the slider or whatever (just an example). I don’t want to make a huge site, I want a template.

A lot of new templates I know are more dynamic - while bells and whistles are great I still want it to be laid out my way - have a header above the design and it lines up with my background so I want pixel precision if I can get it (hence why Nicepage could work) I also like the old style with pagination I am not down with this scroll on forever. More than anything though speed is important, which is why I’m scared to waste time messing with Nicepage even if I own the older version of the program.

Will pretty much all the builders do this? There are so many and trials are great, but you don’t have access to all the options as far as I know with most of them. Seems like there are a few more people use but no idea what the differences are.

ETA also nice if it’s got code that’s not going to be a pain to edit by hand down the road if I need to...

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Template Creators/Page Builders - basic questions & speed issues

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 pm

While your preference leans towards those GUI designers, I think if you want clean code and a fast site, hand-coding would be the most efficient (although comes with a learning curve) way forward. The following may be of help:

https://docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_basi ... !_template.

https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_grid.asp (I find w3schools.com as a very useful resource generally).

I'd also take a look at the included Protostar template, review its code, to get an idea of how it's constructed.

You could probably use some mainstream software like Adobe Dreamweaver (expensive) to design the page and incorporate the required PHP to make the template run in Joomla.

"Bloatware" just refers to inefficient code. e.g. using HTML tables for layout instead of CSS.

I don't know how many members on the forum use those sort of "template builders". Some would mostly hand-code when required (using no more than a text editor) and others who are not coders would use preexisting templates.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

scifivision
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by scifivision » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Thanks, I don’t want to have to hand code the overall layout, but I usually edit things. Eventually I may figure it out by hand when I have time, but I want my own template design, so using something premade is not an option for me. I can’t have my site be down while I learn. My template from the beginning was originally made with Artisteer. I think since then I made one with Themler. Before it was fast but not compatible with certain things because it became too old. If it’s not as fast because it’s not as efficient or something, that’s one thing, I just don’t want to use it if it will actually slow down my site because I made it with the program and it adds a bunch of stuff. I probably already have some of that but don’t want it to be worse. That’s where I was confused. Is it safe to use then?

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:28 am

scifivision wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:05 pm
... but that program is obsolete now.
Yes.

scifivision wrote:
I’m trying to find a template builder so I can make my site look exactly as I want it...
You are not going to find something that migrates an old design with a modern tool, for this you need to use HTML & CSS.

scifivision wrote:
...really I want to keep a lot of my layout but my template is still majorly outdated...
A good HTML and CSS structure never goes outdated.

scifivision wrote:
My site is SLOW. (Although it’s clean now if you’ve seen my other posts) I’m not sure if the main issue is the server, but I’m investigating other ways to help it - in case this is an issue.
Do first a quick test, Find here many post related: viewforum.php?f=709

scifivision wrote:
Alternatives so many. Suggestions? ... I want a template.
Most templates today are based on a framework, "template frameworks", this are different but in some cases are mixed with another solution called "template builder", so yes... There are two different things.

At this point you should already intuit that using the solution of a developer or another practically limits you to use its workflow. This is also why less complex sites are supercharged with resources they don't use.

If you only need the design you mention, use for example the default template and adjust the HTML and CSS to your design.

scifivision wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm
Is it safe to use then?
Safe is not the same as optimized.

scifivision
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by scifivision » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 am

AlexVega wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:28 am
You are not going to find something that migrates an old design with a modern tool, for this you need to use HTML & CSS.
Yes I know nothing will do that but starting from scratch I can make it look similar to what I already have by putting elements where I want them.

AlexVega wrote:
A good HTML and CSS structure never goes outdated.
I guess I should say that since it was built with the other programs sometimes elements have broken the design and it doesn’t look right. Yes obviously if it was hand coded that would fix that issue.

AlexVega wrote:
Do first a quick test, Find here many post related: viewforum.php?f=709
I have every intention of seeing if people can help me figure out exactly what it is slow, but I still want a new template regardless.

AlexVega wrote:

...At this point you should already intuit that using the solution of a developer or another practically limits you to use its workflow. This is also why less complex sites are supercharged with resources they don't use.

If you only need the design you mention, use for example the default template and adjust the HTML and CSS to your design.
Again, I want a way to do this visually I don’t have the time to write it myself there’s too much I would have to learn. I know a lot of people here probably don’t like the idea of a builder, but that is the best solution for me at the moment. I at least want the overall design done and I can always read the code and change things and learn as I go. That’s what I’ve done so far. Down the road I may eventually adjust it myself from scratch, but that won’t work for me currently.

AlexVega wrote:
Safe is not the same as optimized.
Let me rephrase what I mean by “safe.” It doesn’t have to be perfect or perfectly optimized - what it needs to do is create a template that I am happy with the design. What I don’t want it to do is make my site slower than what it already is. It was fast before and I never designed it with coding alone.

There is a good chance it’s my shared server that is the main issue, but I still want to do everything I can before I decide to move. It’s also been years and I could use a fresh design anyway - which I will want regardless of how I end up fixing issues.

Thanks

JTema
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by JTema » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:27 am

As another option, you should be aware of SP Page Builder I think. One more option is to hire someone for a custom template designed just for you.
http://www.joomlatema.net - Joomla Extensions and Templates
https://asgardia.joomlatema.net - Asgardia Joomla Gardening Template

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”