Custom 404 Not Working

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
shport
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Custom 404 Not Working

Post by shport » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Hello and thank you in advance.

I've setup Joomla sites in the past but I am a novice, at best. With that said, I'm working on recreating a site for one of my businesses and all has gone very well except for my 404 issue.

I've followed every step for every instructional you can find by Googling "custom 404 not working Joomla" (article, menu, error.php). I've done this repeatedly but I still can't seem to get non-existent pages to redirect to my custom 404. Instead, it goes to a page that I'm not familiar with but is a part of my site.

I've tried looking into .htaccess solutions but to no avail. I'm at a complete loss and this is one of the last pieces I need to solve before I hard-launch the site to the public.

I'm not sure what information I can provide that would be most helpful in determining a possible solution (site url, .htaccess copy/paste, etc.) but I'm willing to provide whatever may help me find a solution. Thanks, again.
Last edited by toivo on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled on request

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Custom 404 Not Working. Tried everything.

Post by AMurray » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 am

Did you follow these instructions: Set up Custom Error Pages?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:54 am

In the top of .htaccess
ErrorDocument 404 pathto404file
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

shport
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shport » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:06 am

AMurray wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 am
Did you follow these instructions: Set up Custom Error Pages?
I have previously, and now double-checked, that I moved templates/error.php or templates/system/error.php to templates/"mytemplate"/error.php. To no avail. Thank you for the response, through.

shport
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shport » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:09 am

Webdongle wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:54 am
In the top of .htaccess
ErrorDocument 404 pathto404file
By path to you file, do you mean "index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65" or do you mean "mydomain.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65"? Thank you for your assistance.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am

shport wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:00 pm
I've followed every step for every instructional you can find by Googling "custom 404 not working Joomla"
Hi. Creating 404 page may depend on the template that you use and in connection with this differ from the basic Joomla instructions. Therefore, the Joomla instructions are suitable only for default templates.

For example, in Helix Ultimate, you need to copy error.php from the Helix Ultimate plugin folder and place it in the special folder named "overrides". Then edit its code as you like. In other template, it can also be its own way to create it.
-
shport wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:09 am
By path to you file, do you mean "index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65" or do you mean "mydomain.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65"?
Note that just creating a redirect in .htaccess to custom 404 page is not enough. This page must give the correct server response 404 but not 200, otherwise you will have big problems with SEO.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 pm

By pathto404file I mean any file that you want displayed as an error. As for problems with SEO ... OK for big companies with large sites. But for the majority of sites it's just snake oil and a waste of time.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”