Akeeba (and Angie) is not asking me database information

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Akeeba (and Angie) is not asking me database information

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:18 pm

While I perform the restore procedure Akeeba tells me that the pre-installation of the database is all right but it does not ask me for the data (name of database, user, etc), so it proceeds to install everything but if I download the configuration.php it is still the same of the source site and not that of the destination database.
I can try to connect all the links "by hands" but it's a stroke of luck.
Can anyone please point me to a possibility to force Angie to ask me for database credentials?
Thanks
Last edited by toivo on Sat May 21, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo in subject

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Akeeba (and Angie) is nota sking me database information

Post by Webdongle » Sat May 21, 2022 6:04 pm

When restoring on the same server you need to check the "Override tmp and log paths" box in the Site Setup page for the temp and log paths in configuration.php to be changed. Otherwise the default behavior is if the paths used at the time of the backup exist on the server you are restoring the site on they will be used.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:09 pm

Thank you for your feed back.
Ii am trying to migrate to another server / hosting

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat May 21, 2022 8:19 pm

Then don't override the paths?

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:43 pm

The problem is that Akeeba / Angie doesn't ask me for database credentials while restoring the website to the new hosting.
Quietly upload the files, but they are the same as the old hosting, not the ones from the new hosting with a new database before migration.
Ideally Angie should do this automatically when it asks for new database credentials, but it skips this restore step related to the database

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:20 pm

After restoration step 6 appears:
Pre-installation Database Restoration Site Setup Finished
But I've not inserted any password or path for the database.

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:44 pm

After 3 hours of reading I've discovered that the backup was made on a website with a PHP version different than the one on the hosting

Setting At Backup Time
Host name www.vdritaly.com
Backup date 2022-04-17 20:23:35 UTC
Akeeba Backup version 8.1.2
PHP version 7.4.28

Site information (new hosting)
This information represents the configuration of the server you are restoring to (the server on which this installer is running)

Joomla! version 3.10.6
PHP version 7.4.27

Could be this the reason of the failure?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat May 21, 2022 9:47 pm

You need to enter the new database name/username/password before you click next

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:52 pm

Yes but where and when? Angie is not asking me anything about the database.
In other migrations of joomla websites at some point Angie asks about it, but not in this case.

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:55 pm

At the end this is the message:
"Gateway Timeout
The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application."

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Akeeba (and Angie) is not asking me database information

Post by AMurray » Sat May 21, 2022 11:32 pm

While I perform the restore procedure Akeeba tells me that the pre-installation of the database is all right
When you say "Akeeba" do you mean Akeeba Backup, or Akeeba Kickstart?

I'm a little confused, the restore process should prompt you for the database detail, if you are restoring the site to a clean folder on the server, containing only the Kickstart utility from Akeeba.com (kickstart.php) and the JPA archive, to restore the site.

The Kickstart script extracts the files, then an installer script is launched that restores the database which returns the site to its working order. You should not be restoring the site to a folder with existing joomla files in it, particularly the configuration.php which contains the database connection details, and if that's the case, and the database exists, then I suspect you are not going to see it prompt for the database because the details are already known through the configuration.php file.

Are you launching the 'restore' from within an existing site? That can be done, but I've rarely done the restore that way. That may also explain why you're not getting prompted for the database since it's already using the database you're restoring to.

While it shouldn't make too much of a difference, I will mention:
  • you 're two versions behind on Akeeba Backup (the latest is 8.1.4)
  • you're three versions behind with Jooma (current is 3.10.9)
  • current PHP is 7.4.29 (realise you can't do much about PHP, this is in the hands of your host unless you run a VPS or stand-alone server).

The different PHP shouldn't make a difference as to whether the database details are asked for.

The Gateway time out is a server error, perhaps speak to your host if they can track down the cause. Perhaps in this case, you need to look at your PHP settings (in your hosting account) concerned with the "max execution time".

One last suggestion, test to see if you can restore the backup to your local PC - run a server package like WAMPServer.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:25 am

" the database which returns the site to its working order. You should not be restoring the site to a folder with existing joomla files in it, particularly the configuration.php which contains the database connection details, and if that's the case, and the database exists, then I suspect you are not going to see it prompt for the database because the details are already known through the configuration.php file."

Thank you for your time
Yes, I'm speaking about Kickstart and I'm doing a clean installation on a new server (without any config file uploaded in that space, only JPA and kickstart and the language file of this last one.
But for some reason Angie doesn't launch the program that should ask me about the database connections.
I dont know the reasons

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun May 22, 2022 10:05 am

I can't explain why the restore script is simply not working, and not asking you for your database detail. Can you run it again, but provide screenshots for every step you're taking in Kickstart, of every screen you see?

Are you using the latest version of Kickstart? (27 March 2022, v7.1.2)?

This is a suggestion out of left field but is your Akeeba Backup profile configuration set to "Full Site Backup" -this includes the restoration script in the archive. The other options may not. Also did you choose the correct restore script to include (my install of Akeeba Backup has two options: Angie for Joomla Websites and Angie for Miscellaneous PHP applications)

Also refer to Part 5 of Akeeba Backup documentation it talks about the ANGIE restoration script.
https://cdn.akeeba.com/downloads/akeeba ... -guide.pdf
If the script is not running following the file extraction you can possibly launch it yourself, by browsing to your site URL e.g., yoursite.com/installation/index.php.

*** Also you need to create the database first. The restoration script doesn't create the database.****

Are you a Pro subscriber to Akeeba Backup - in which case you can ask Akeeba for assistance?

Can you turn on PHP error reporting within your web hosting account? See if it reports any PHP errors?

Once you check out all these trouble-shooting issues you may get a working restoration going.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

markarcer70
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by markarcer70 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:23 pm

thanks for your time but I tried everything I read in the various forums, unfortunately it didn't work.
In the end I reconfigured all the connections manually, following an online guide.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”