Updating Joomla 4.3.0 to Joomla 4.3.1

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
JanStruik
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Updating Joomla 4.3.0 to Joomla 4.3.1

Post by JanStruik » Wed May 24, 2023 3:31 pm

Hi ,
I'm trying for several days now to upgrade Joomla 4.3.0 to 4.3.1. But without any success.
I even did a fresh install of Joomla 4.3.1 on my local server (Ubuntu) and tried to upgrade it. Also not successful.
Of course I get error reports and the site is no longer accessible. I attached a screen shot.

What I really don't understand that even a fresh install can't be updated :( :( :( :(

To avoid trouble with file permissions I made all the files 777.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Updating Joomla 4.3.0 to Joomla 4.3.1

Post by gws » Wed May 24, 2023 3:48 pm

You cant update 4.3.1 to 4.3.1 ??
Making all the files 777 will result in your site being hacked,not a smart move...
If you want help post the results from the FPA https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ read the docs first.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed May 24, 2023 9:16 pm

Can you try a fresh install of 4.3.0 and then try the update? (not your actual site, just a plain vanilla test install of 4.3.0(found here: https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla4)

Install in a sub-folder and new database.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 am

In the Joomla Update page of your clean 4.3.1 install, select the Check for Updates button. That will lead to a page that says Currently no update available. However, there is now a button to Reinstall Joomla! core files. What happens if you click it?

Anyone interested can view the error page with administrator/index.php?option=com_joomlaupdate&view=update

The update process is JavaScript driven. Two files are created and then deleted in administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate. If there is a file permission problem the update will fail. If server security interferes with the Javascript ajax call the update will fail. Pretty much what it says in the error message.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu May 25, 2023 7:06 am

ceford wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 am
However, there is now a button to Reinstall Joomla! core files.
That button is useful but it is only available when the Update Channel 'Testing' has been selected from the Options of Joomla Update. Not everyone is game for selecting the Testing channel, but it is safe, as long as the option Minimum Stability is set to 'Stable'.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 am

toivo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:06 am
ceford wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 am
However, there is now a button to Reinstall Joomla! core files.
That button is useful but it is only available when the Update Channel 'Testing' has been selected from the Options of Joomla Update. Not everyone is game for selecting the Testing channel, but it is safe, as long as the option Minimum Stability is set to 'Stable'.
For the test I did this morning, on localhost, my Update Channel was/is set to Default. Another local site, also with the Update Channel set to default, also shows the Reinstall Joomla! core files button. And the page with the button says I am on the Default update channel.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu May 25, 2023 8:49 am

Good and thank you, @ceford, for not rattling my world that the re-install J! core files feature had changed with the release ofJ! 4.3. I mean, really, it’s completely counter-intuitive that one might need to change the Joomla! Update component options.

The “test channel” is only for advanced/expert users. It should not be used by novices (i.e. 99% of the people who visit this forum to ask questions). Yes, you can use the “testing channel”; I can use it but I would never use it on a live/production website. The “testing channel” is for testing; it is not for fixing.

Thanks, @ceford, for confirming that the feature still works the way it has done over the past ten years. You saved me checking it out.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu May 25, 2023 10:03 am

ceford wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:39 am
For the test I did this morning, on localhost, my Update Channel was/is set to Default. Another local site, also with the Update Channel set to default, also shows the Reinstall Joomla! core files button.
@ceford, which operating system does your localhost use?

My Wampserver 3.3.1 64-bit runs on Windows 11, which could explain why the update channel Default does not display the button Reinstall Joomla! core files, displayed by Joomla 4.3.1 hosted in a remote server.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 am

toivo wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:03 am
@ceford, which operating system does your localhost use?

My Wampserver 3.3.1 64-bit runs on Windows 11, which could explain why the update channel Default does not display the button Reinstall Joomla! core files, displayed by Joomla 4.3.1 hosted in a remote server.
I am using Mac OSX, which is essentially a variety of Linux.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Reinstalling core files in J! 4.3

Post by sozzled » Thu May 25, 2023 8:25 pm

There seems to be some uncertainty about the method to reinstall the core files with J! 4.x. I conducted a test today using Firefox browser on Win 8.1.

The technique is to use the Joomla! Update component:
ju_rcf01.png

The next screen shows how to to check if there is an update. Observe that I am using the Default update channel! Click the button to check for updates.
ju_rcf02.png

The next screen shows "Currently no update available" and there is a button labelled Reinstall Joomla! core files.
ju_rcf03.png

Click this button and Joomla! Update "reinstalls" itself.
ju_rcf04.png

... and success!
ju_rcf05.png

Therefore, I don't understand the undocumented distraction about changing the Joomla! Update options to use the "Testing" channel instead of using the "Default" channel. If it's the documented method doesn't work for @toivo then it's doesn't work for @toivo. The documented procedure for reinstalling the core CMS files works (even though the documentation has not been updated for J! 4.x), regardless of the operating system employed to run the browser, and that's what I recommend.

As I wrote before, the "Testing" channel should only be used by advanced users, only if you are aware of the possible consequences, only if you know what you are doing, never on a production website and not to fix problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Thu May 25, 2023 9:24 pm

See: https://docs.joomla.org/Help4.x:Joomla_Update/en

Although there is a screenshot missing.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu May 25, 2023 9:37 pm

Thanks, @ceford. A couple of issues with the documentation page you referenced, the most important being that the screenshots bear information before J! 4.x was released as stable. The gist of that advice is still relevant, though; I wasn't able to locate that information when I used Google to search for it. The point I wanted to make is that there is an accepted method—and that's what we should be promoting—and there's unproven hearsay.

We don't want people to think that there are "tricks" or other approaches involved. There's no trick to this.

I confess that I don't know much about J! 4.3.0 because I never used it because of the opinions about that version strongly indicated that it was (and still is) inappropriate for production usage. I waited until J! 4.3.1 was released before updating any of my J! 4.2.9 websites to that version. 8)

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”