Frontend image/pdf upload/Joomla 4.4.4

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
ktwatson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Frontend image/pdf upload/Joomla 4.4.4

Post by ktwatson » Fri May 24, 2024 7:01 am

How does a user with edit permissions upload an image or pdf for use in an article?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Frontend image/pdf upload/Joomla 4.4.4

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri May 24, 2024 7:06 am

Use the JCE Editor. Its easy to do there.

ktwatson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ktwatson » Fri May 24, 2024 7:18 am

Don't see the JCE Editor choice; only TinyMCE or CodeMirror.
Last edited by ktwatson on Fri May 24, 2024 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ktwatson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ktwatson » Fri May 24, 2024 7:28 am

Thanks for the quick response. Found the JCE basic editor which works.

ktwatson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ktwatson » Fri May 24, 2024 9:03 pm

I was wrong in my last post. There is NO way to upload a pdf! Does anyone know if the Pro version will allow front end upload of pdfs?

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Sat May 25, 2024 8:54 pm

As a user in the Editor group using TinyMCE, I just uploaded a PDF from the frontend using the edit form CMS Content drop down list, Media item. And I inserted it too. Is your site set up to allow upload of PDFs?

ktwatson
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ktwatson » Sat May 25, 2024 11:59 pm

Thank you for this response. I was able to do it there as well, so the site settings must be OK.

mtgg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mtgg » Mon May 27, 2024 10:36 pm

I discovered that there are a few tricks you need to know in order to do this. As a background, I recommend reading an article in the Joomla Community Magazine: https://magazine.joomla.org/all-issues/ ... la-content. This article explains how people can use TinyMCE and either display a link to download the PDF document or embed the PDF document within a website without using any third-party extensions.

However, the article I mention does not explain the Media options (settings) that you need to have in place. These settings should have (as a minimum):
  • Path to Files Folder: images
  • Path to Images Folder: images
  • Allowed Extensions: bmp,gif,jpg,jpeg,png,webp,ico,mp3,m4a,mp4a,ogg,mp4,mp4v,mpeg,mov,odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,txt,xcf,xls,csv
  • Legal Image Extensions (File Types): bmp,gif,jpg,png,jpeg,webp,svg
  • Legal Document Extensions (File Types): odg,odp,ods,odt,pdf,ppt,txt,xcf,xls,csv
  • Legal MIME Types: image/jpeg,image/gif,image/png,image/bmp,image/webp,audio/ogg,audio/mpeg,audio/mp4,video/mp4,video/webm,video/mpeg,video/quicktime,application/msword,application/excel,application/pdf,application/powerpoint,text/plain,application/x-zip
I'm not sure which of the above settings are required or whether they should all be as I've discovered them by trial and error; I tested this on two Joomla 4.4.4 websites using Cassiopeia. Works in the frontend or backend as long as the logged-in user has sufficient access permissions to edit articles.

I suppose it's possible to use JCE Editor but I haven't figured out how to do it. When people write that it's "easy" to do it, they should also explain what extra settings or changes you need to make to achieve it. It took me a couple of days to obtain the solution ... so it wasn't easy.

mtgg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mtgg » Wed May 29, 2024 9:56 pm

Slightly off-topic: I found the above approach does not work in Joomla 5.1.1 ... and I don't know why. There's a difference between v 4.x and v 5.x: in v 4.4, if you want to embed the PDF document in a viewer, v 4.4 uses an <OBJECT>; in v 5.1.1, TinyMCE uses an <IFRAME> instead.

There are a few other tricks one has to know to use embedded PDFs in Joomla ... without resorting to third-party extensions. I've given up trying to display an embedded PDF in Joomla v 5 for the time being. I think someone broke it.

Tested satisfactorily with Joomla 4.4.5.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”