Migration from j3 to j5 Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 5.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Migration from j3 to j5

Post by zaahideen » Sat May 18, 2024 7:35 am

I'm trying to upgrade from joomla 3.10
I tried the migration from j3 to j4 however I kept getting errors so I thought I'd just do a clean install of j5 and import my articles and categories etc manually using J2XML component.

When I import my articles, they appear correctly on the backend, however they don't work on front end.
This is my URL:
test.at-tazkiyah.com

If I make an article featured, that appears and works fine on homepage.
If I search for an article, it will show up under the results, but when clicked on, doesn't load and comes up with an error page.

For example, if I search FRIDAY, several results will show up but none will actually work.

Could someone please help me
Thanks

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Migration from j3 to j5

Post by AMurray » Sat May 18, 2024 8:31 am

What sort of errors did you encounter with 3.10 to 4.x migration? Did the pre-update check pass with all 'green lights' (so to speak)?

There have been other posts about J2XML not working properly in Joomla 5.1. I don't know if there's any solution yet.

Were the pages restricted to registered users? That's one reason why you might see that not found error.

Did you previously have SEF URLS enabled in Joomla 3.10? Can you enable them in J4 (make sure to rename your htaccess.txt to .htaccess)?

The first result searching "Friday" actually does come up and loads a page (with an audio player) but maybe that's because it's set at "featured" as you mentioned.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Sat May 25, 2024 10:44 am

I've managed to migrate from joomla 3.10 to joomla 4.4 using the Joomla update component and i used live update.
it's showing thta my database is not upto date... however when i try to update/fix this issue in J4, i just get the same error: There are tables not up to date!

please help..
or is there a manul way to update it?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat May 25, 2024 10:26 pm

There is no "manual" update process. You can use the semi-automated Upload and Update method through Joomla Update, you should see a field to choose the upload package (the zip file downloaded from downloads.joomla.org).

Simply uploading the files by FTP misses the database update step of the update process and that will break your site.

I've seen other posts on the forum concerning J2XML failing to import to J5 (even though its JED listing states it should work in J5).

You said you used "live update", by which I assume you mean Joomla Update and not a third-party update service like Softaculous or similar.

There's a GitHub thread that discusses the problem ('database structure not up to date' ) from 2021 (https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/35915). One suggestion mentioned is to reinstall the core system files of the current Joomla version you're running (i.e. in Joomla Update, you should see a "Reinstall Core Files" (orange button). The update channel needs to be set to "Default" for that to work (rather than Joomla Next.

The other way you might achieve that is Upload and Update, and install the download package for the current version of Joomla you're using.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 am

Sorry, I think I may have been unclear in my previous post. The error is to do with the database tables. I can't get the database tables to be fixed via joomla admin.
Hence, is there a way to manually fix the tables so they're utf8mb4 (I think)?

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Thu May 30, 2024 10:09 am

gws wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 am Does this help? https://docs.joomla.org/J4.x:Fix_%22Dat ... ore_Update
UNFORTUNATELY THIS DOESN'T HELP EITHER.
Can anyone else please offer their help and expertise?
thanks

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Thu May 30, 2024 10:20 am

You can change data base collation via phpmyadmin or Akeeba's admin tools.

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Thu May 30, 2024 10:23 am

gws wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:20 am You can change data base collation via phpmyadmin or Akeeba's admin tools.
via phpmyadmin, i've changed all the tables to utf8mb4_unicode_ci
but i'm still getting the error in joomla 4 admin

i've installed akeeba admin, but cant find any options to update the database collation from there.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Thu May 30, 2024 10:49 am

Do your workflow tables have the required entries for your articles?
See viewtopic.php?t=993253#p3658054

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:02 am

gws wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:49 am Do your workflow tables have the required entries for your articles?
See viewtopic.php?t=993253#p3658054
I'm assuming yes, as i upgraded from joomla 3 to joomla 4 using the joomla update feature.

zaahideen
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by zaahideen » Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:26 am

Ive now upgraded to joomla 5 and the databse issues have been resolved.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 5.x”