[LOW:KNOWN ISSUE:1.0.11] Path issue with components using POST

themystic.ca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[LOW:KNOWN ISSUE:1.0.11] Path issue with components using POST

Post by themystic.ca » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:34 am

Description:
I've noticed that some components use POST instead of GET for some form submissions. This has a tendency to mess up the path which only looks at GET.

Reported On:
Joomla 1.0.x

Classification:
Low

Affected Functions:
Pathway.

Related Files:
includes/pathway.php

Steps to replicate:
This actually affects the JEvents component. When you switch views it is done by post in version 1.3Beta the pathway gets reset. It shows only home.

Proposed Fix:

Please see attached diff for my suggested fix

EDITED: For clarity - user suggested fix and not Joomla released fix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

toubkal
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: [UNDER REVIEW] Path issue with components using POST

Post by toubkal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks for you submission, themystic.ca

I have edited your title to remove [PATCH] and post to ensure that users understand that this is not a joomla released patch.

We certainly welcome reports and proposed fixes but when it comes to releasing patches within the Q&T forum, we are instructed to follow a set procedure. According to my guidelines, even the Q&T workgroup members do not release patches. ;)

Thanks again for your contribution. We will need to look into this further.
Do you want the answer to be as vague as your question?

themystic.ca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by themystic.ca » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:26 pm

toubkal wrote: I have edited your title to remove [PATCH] and post to ensure that users understand that this is not a joomla released patch.
Sorry, about that. I read somewhere about the different prefixes to use but when I was posting this I couldn't find it. Could you point me to it?
toubkal wrote: We certainly welcome reports and proposed fixes but when it comes to releasing patches within the Q&T forum, we are instructed to follow a set procedure. According to my guidelines, even the Q&T workgroup members do not release patches. ;)

Thanks again for your contribution. We will need to look into this further.
What is the procedure? I know that this is not a highlevel bug but I'd like see this make it into the trunk, what can I do to help?

Actually, I'd like to get more involved in Joomla, can you point me to some "low hanging fruit" that I can help out with? I have experience with LAMP development so I am able to help with code development and I've been crawling around the (first Mambo, now) Joomla source for about a year (off and on) so I have some familiarity with it.

Thanks!

toubkal
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by toubkal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi,

I think your prefix was actually correct for submitting a patch artifact to the forge.

I am not sure where there is a list of prefixes for forum posts. I have my list but it is specifically for Q&T members to show the status of a bug report.

Regarding proceedure, I guess that it is different depending on where you submit the bug report. If you are fully confident that a bug exists and and have a patch suggestion, there is nothing stopping you from making the bug report directly to the bug tracker at the forge.

Q&T is a kind of interface between the forum and the tracker. It can be an easier place for inexperienced users to submit bug reports and also allows us to carry out testing, problem solving and possibly offer solutions before submitting a detailed tracker artifact if necessary. It helps to streamline the work for the dev team.

So the proceedure for the bug reported here is for us to first confirm the issue that you reported, then test your solution before submitting to the tracker.

I took a quick look at your attachment but did not have time to study it yet.

Regarding getting more involved, if you are interested in the Q&T side of things, you should PM Robink he is the workgroup leader.

Apart from that, helping to confirm bugs and provide solutions will always be welcome.
Do you want the answer to be as vague as your question?

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:25 pm

Q&T Note; feedback requested from Dev by email on discussion groups.

RobS
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RobS » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:45 am

Robin sent it to the wrong address.  I forwarded it to the correct address... should have feedback soon.
Rob Schley - Open Source Matters
Webimagery - http://www.webimagery.net/ - Professional Consulting Services
JXtended - http://www.jxtended.com/ - Free and Commercial Joomla! Extensions

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:14 am

Q&T Note; feedback from Development; there are known limitations, quoting Rey:
Basically post is done mostly for form submissions because we
don't want the data from the variables visible in the URL.
Partly due to security and partly not to mangle the url.

Further I believe there are limitations to the amount of data passed
by GET submission.
This means a change would be out of scope for the 1.0.12 release. Marking as known issue.

Return to “Known Issues - Archive”