DISCUSSION: User Group Access levels explained in simple terms!

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
Harrison78
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: DISCUSSION: User Group Access levels explained in simple terms!

Post by Harrison78 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 am

I would like to say a big thankyou for this great explaination of the different groups.  Although I knew how each of the groups gave access and worked, other admins and staff members on my site were still quite confused.  I've now shown them your explaination of the access levels and this has made it much clearer for them to understand.

One word of caution when using a third party access level management extension such as the group access module, as these alter the core of Joomla.  This means that if and when you upgrade a site to a later version of the CMS that has had work done to it's group access level functionality and structure, the site may well break the site completely.

Also note that these access level modules will not work with profile managers like Community Builder as they rely on the underlying user group access levels to function correctly, and finding a different set of groups or not finding them in the roght place will break CB.

SHoggard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SHoggard » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:36 am

Brilliant.... but (isn't there always a 'but')

I have my site

a structured Sections & Categories
b. articles allocated - Published & Front Page(ed)
c. article access set to Registered
d. Section/Category menu in Left column

What I'm trying to do is...

Allow non registered Guest access to

1. view Front page (headline intro & image)
2. view Section/Category menu in left col
3, click to go to 'Category Front Page' (TOC) where they see - headline intro & image
4. HAVE NO further viewing access to the full article UNLESS they register... ie create a 'teaser'  an incentive to register

Restricting access in Category manager - just gives the Unauthorized page
Restricting access in Menu - justs makes the menu item vanish (for non-registered Guests)
Restricting access in Article makes it diaspear from the TOC page (restricting ALL... gives the No Items to display message)

Any suggestions?

Harrison78
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Harrison78 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:13 am

There is a component that allows you to only show the first part of the text from each article until the user registers and logs in, so that might be what you are looking for.  Sadly I've forgotten the name of it, but I'm hoping someone else will know.

Blue Harvest
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Blue Harvest » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:05 am

I'd like to change the settings so that my publishers don't have to remember to click around the publish dialogue before their article is published. By default the article will only be saved, not published.

Can you change the default somehow so that everything that's contributed to the site is published? If there is a setting for that I can't find it.  ???

Thank you for the excellent run through of the group system!  ;D

zANavAShi
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by zANavAShi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:56 am

Hiya Kaizen,

I just wanted to add my thanks for this very excellent guide you have written. It answered many questions for me that I had been struggling to understand after reading the user documentation.

Kudos to you for taking the time to help your fellow community members in this way.

Cheers,
Zana

Marc K
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Marc K » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Ozarkkid wrote: First post at Joomla

I have been trying to test the groups Author and Publisher.  When I log in as either and try to submit news it will only let me select from one category, Latest News, to submit content.  It does not give me a choice to select a Section and then from the various categories under that section.  I can add content through the backend as an administrator and have the option to choose the section and category.  Am I trying to do something with the groups Author and Publisher that is not possible or do I have something set up wrong?

I am new to Joomla and am stuck in this same place. How do I add sections beyond "Latest News" to which authors can submit content? This is the whole purpose of the site in many ways.

Thanks,
Marc

GalaxyGirl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GalaxyGirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 am

Hi all

I've been using Joomla! for over a year now but have only just started using the different User Group Access levels. I also have the similar problem of no categories to choose from when an Author or Publisher tries to submit content.

I made a new content category which suddenly did appear in the Category drop down menu - making it seem like only new Categories were "valid" and all older categories were "unseen" by the Submit-Content menu type. I am using an old version of Joomla! - 1.0.5 (yes I know, I am slack on the upgrades!)

PS: where do I find the brilliant explanation that this thread was dedicated to in the first place?
Last edited by GalaxyGirl on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

snoopy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by snoopy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am

I want my publishers to be able to edit non published content.

I could not find anywhere information on how to do that. Currently they only can edit content, which is already published.

But they even have no access to their own content after saving it (not yet published), even if it is their own article!

Is this a bug?

Joomla 1.012

Micho523
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Micho523 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:25 pm

I have a question related to this that I have not been able to find in searching.
What I am trying to do is create new user levels.

All I really want to do is add a level called "Member" and have it one level above "registered," so it would go registered, member, author.. etc.

Also a bit out of place, but I would like to be able to filter the "members" page to show only those with user level "member" at first, but have a drop down to change the filtering to each user level and all users.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be greatful. Thank you!

snoopy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by snoopy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 am

snoopy wrote: I want my publishers to be able to edit non published content.

I could not find anywhere information on how to do that. Currently they only can edit content, which is already published.

But they even have no access to their own content after saving it (not yet published), even if it is their own article!

Is this a bug?

Joomla 1.012
FYI

I found until  now no solution for this prpblem with a normal Joomla installation.

I installed now the Mambot " MosAuthorXTD" and with this I can configure it.

But no solution with the Joomla core only, which is IMHO an absolutely necessary feature.

tuncar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tuncar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:56 pm

jdun wrote: Is it possible to set the default group? Example: When someone registered I want it to be Aurthor instead of the default Registered.

Thanks.
I've seen this question many times here, but never answered. And I have the same query.. Is it so easy that it's not worth answering or is it impossible to do? ??? i really wonder..

pcal
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pcal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 am

Marc K wrote:
I am new to Joomla and am stuck in this same place. How do I add sections beyond "Latest News" to which authors can submit content? This is the whole purpose of the site in many ways.

Thanks,
Marc
I'm a relative newby myself, but a few pennies dropped recently...

1st, make sure that your sections and categories have themselves been published. If a category hasn't been published, it won't appear on the list of available categories. If a section hasn't been published, then none of the categories in it will be available.

2nd, the Latest News is only the default section. You can create new categories in the category manager and assign them to the latest news section. As long as they are published, they will appear as valid destinations in the drop down list when creating content.

You can create new sections in the section manager. Once you have a new section, you can assign new categories to it from the category manager.

The default submit news link on the user menu (or wherever you have shifted it to), submits only to the default section - ie Latest News. If you want to submit articles to another section, you need a new menu item that directs its submissions to that section.

If you look at the usermenu option from the Menu item in the backend, you will see that the submit news menu item is a url link. The link in question is "index.php?option=com_content&task=new&sectionid=1&Itemid=0". In the section manager, you will find that each section you have created has it's own section id automatically generated by the system. The section id for Latest News is, you guessed it, 1. So, if you create a new menu item in the usermenu, or wherever else you want to put it, link it to the url as above, but edit the section id to reflect the id assigned to the section you created, you will have a new submission link to your new section.

So long as your new section is published, then all the published categories you have assigned to that section will be available as options in the drop down list on the submission page.

I hope I haven't been too long winded!

Regards,

Pcal

bdovenbarger
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bdovenbarger » Tue May 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Not sure if this post is still active? I've also put my question under 3rd party modules.

I want suckerfish to work for me! I know I'm doing something wrong because my drop downs are not working. I've followed the steps from a few pages back?

My site is a custom template I designed. Any help or thoughts would be awesome.

The link is: itclicks.com

Thanks in advance!

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”