Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by Sirwinqt » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:24 am

dbbanker wrote: I installed using the value tools through godaddy.  Then I moved everything over to the root directory.  Then I tried my best to edit the configuration.php.  but in the end, it appears that I have not done it correctly because the screen is not showing any graphics.  Can someone please explain what needs to get changed in that file to make it so that the site works in root.

Thanks,
Dan
I did the exact same thing that you did.  I also had the same problem that you had.  This is the easiest step to resolve your problem.  After moving the files and folder from the Joomla sub-folder to the root directory.  Re-run the Joomla installation.  What this does is to set the correct permmissions and you're done.  U will need to download Joomla installation file and copy the "/installation" folder to your root directory.  EASY!

The other long way is to set the permissions manually.  This step is long and tideous process.  You would have to know how and what permissions to use.  So, this is beyond the scope of my intelectual.  I'm sure you can find this information by using the search topic.

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 am

greengatored wrote: Can i just install Joomla thru a subfolder, work on building the website there then when i'm done remove the old website and move the joomla files to the root folder so people can access the new site?  What steps i have to go thru to accomplish that? 
This is a workaround to your task:
When you are ready to move /Joomla sub folder to the root directory,  Use the FTP client "FileZilla" to copy Joomla files and folder to your hard drive and then copy it to your root directory.  Now here's the catch:  DO NOT DELETE or use the MOVE command.  Once you copy all of the files from your sub folder to your root directory, run your installation file again.  What this step does is setting the correct permissions since FTPing changed the permissions as well as reconfiguring some files.  Once you're done, test it.  If it works, GREAT (this is now the time you can delete the /joomla sub folder.)  If you should encounter another problem, call me...

greengatored
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by greengatored » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:33 pm

thank you kindly mate.  I will be working on it.

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:32 pm

I am having problems with my GoDaddy-hosted Joomla installation.  I installed Joomla to GoDaddy myself.  Everything works fine, except email.  Email does not work correctly on my Joomla site.  Users who register are not sent the validation email, so the site is effectively useless!  I have a GoDaddy-hosted email address at the domain I use to host my Joomla account, and it receives notification of new users who register, but that is all.  I cannot get emails to send to the account via the "Contacts Us" form on the Joomla installation.

This is both perplexing and frustrating.  I appeal to the GoDaddy/Joomla experts out there for help!

Thanks!

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:18 pm

Ok, I had to pick out the exact problem.  So here's what I see:
coreygallon wrote: -  Users who register are not sent the validation email
-  I cannot get emails to send to the account via the "Contacts Us" form on the Joomla installation.
log into your backend of Joomla and click on Site menu and select Global Configuration.  In your Site tab, make sure the following are set to "Yes"

Allow User Registration:    -    Yes
Use New Account Activation:    -    Yes
Require Unique Email:    -    Yes

Now, click on the Mail tab (in your Global Configuration) and check to ensure that the email you provided is correct.  I'm not sure if it's safe to post this info (Sendmail Path:).  You will need to call GoDaddy or looik it up on their website FAQ and find the path like/something/omething/something.

Hope this helped

I have no problem with my end.

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:44 pm

Those are the problems I am having.  I had already configured the site in the manner you prescribed.  My sendmail path is as it should be, according to GoDaddy's support center.

Could this possibly be due to PHP settings?  I had to enter the following lines in my PHP.ini file in order to make Joomla happy when I first installed it:

register_globals = Off
RG_EMULATION = Off

Could this be causing the problem?  I can't imagine that those settings would be problematic, but I've completely exhausted all possible ideas on this end!

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:59 pm

coreygallon wrote: I had to enter the following lines in my PHP.ini file in order to make Joomla happy when I first installed it:
If you are not familar with php programming, don't go in and make changes.  Ok.. Now I'm curious... 
1.  What version of Joomla are you trying to install?
2.  Where are you installing this on (your host provider) and what directory?
3.  How did you get the file to the directory you're installing it on?
Last edited by Sirwinqt on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:19 pm

coreygallon: What hosting plan of GoDaddy do you use?

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:20 pm

amu0373 wrote: coreygallon: What hosting plan of GoDaddy do you use?
The cheapest one of all.. The Economy plan...  ;D

I don't think you answered my questions above!!!

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm using the Deluxe Linux Hosting Plan -- but thanks to Sirwinqt for your unbased assumption!

I've provided a great deal of information related to this problem in another thread.  Please see it here:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,108330.0.html
Last edited by coreygallon on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Sirwinqt wrote:
amu0373 wrote: coreygallon: What hosting plan of GoDaddy do you use?
The cheapest one of all.. The Economy plan...   ;D

I don't think you answered my questions above!!!
The question was for coreygallon since he has the e-mail sending problem. If you use Economy Plan the only thing you need is the PHP method for sending e-mail...

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:57 pm

The question was for coreygallon since he has the e-mail sending problem. If you use Economy Plan the only thing you need is the PHP method for sending e-mail...

[/quote]

I didn't have to do any manual modifications to my PHP.  Since you responded, would you care to elaborate on the PHP method for sending email?

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 pm

coreygallon wrote: I'm using the Deluxe Linux Hosting Plan -- but thanks to Sirwinqt for your unbased assumption!

I've provided a great deal of information related to this problem in another thread.  Please see it here:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,108330.0.html
Oke, this should be the same as Economy Plan. Do you use the "PHP mail function"?

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Sirwinqt wrote: I didn't have to do any manual modifications to my PHP.  Since you responded, would you care to elaborate on the PHP method for sending email?
No I find this also strange. If you install Joomla yourself (even version 1.0.11) you have some warnings but the functionality is ok. Sending e-mails not a problem either - right out of the box installation of Joomla.

What coreygallon describes about changing php.ini in his hosting account is a bit curious since there in no way you should be able to change this (i.m.h.o.) My question to coreygallon: can you explain how you changed php.ini on godaddy and how this had any effect on your joomla installation?

Thanks, Alex.

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Alex,

GoDaddy allows you to place a PHP.ini file in the root of your hosting account and configure the PHP settings for your account.  I availed myself of this option to change the PHP settings. 

The changes to PHP.ini affected my Joomla installation by causing the installer to no longer warn me of the security issues due to the default PHP settings on my site.  There have been no other perceptible effects on Joomla. 

As if this was not strange enough -- last night I used the "Mass Mail" function on my Joomla site to send a mass test message to all registered users.  Only one of the three users I have registered received the email.  Both of the email addresses which did not receive the email are email accounts hosted through GoDaddy.  Frustrating?  Yes!  Perplexing?  Yes!
Last edited by coreygallon on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:18 pm

coreygallon wrote: I cannot get emails to send to the account via the "Contacts Us" form on the Joomla installation.
Just a silly question: Did you change contact information on the joomla back-end in "Components -> Contacts -> Manage Contacts"? The default is name with e-mail adress [email protected] if you did not change this to a valid e-mail adress your contact form will not "work".

(If I think about this... :D I guess the domain "name.com" will get a lot of "spam" on the user "name"  :laugh: )

Cheers, Alex.

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:21 pm

coreygallon wrote: Frustrating?  Yes!  Perplexing?  Yes!
Sounds like Godaddy is maybe cathing the e-mails as Spam... I host several joomla installations on godaddy and none have these issues... so far...

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Yes, Alex, I did change the contact to my personal email account.

coreygallon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coreygallon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:44 pm

To those who have offered their assistance,

It seems that the problem has resolved itself.  Unfortunately, I have tried so many things to remedy the issues in the past week that I cannot say precisely what the solution was!  Still, I appreciate the help you have rendered on my behalf!

Thanks!

Sirwinqt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sirwinqt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:06 am

coreygallon wrote: Yes, Alex, I did change the contact to my personal email account.
It just occured to me;  are you using your hosting account in Joomla?  Also, is that email working?

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:03 am

coreygallon wrote: Unfortunately, I have tried so many things to remedy the issues in the past week that I cannot say precisely what the solution was! 
Well I still want to dig in this issue a little deeper...

Could you please check what version of Hosting Configuration your GoDaddy account uses.

(You can check this in the Control Panel of your Hosting Manager under Account Summary.)

If you have configuration 2.0, PHP scripted mail and send mail is send only once an hour....

Cheers, Alex.

jaysunp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaysunp » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:05 am

I just finished installing a Joomla site on GoDaddy according to the tutorial above, which was very clear, thank you. I also smacked into the automatic installation of Joomla on GoDaddy's virtual servers and have not been able to migrate the database.

So I installed Joomla again into a sub-directory of the root. This will be the second site hosted on my main domain. Here is my challenge:

After installing Joomla and creating a new database according to the tutorial, I get the following message when attempting to log into the admin section: 

"For your security please completely remove the installation directory including all files and sub-folders - then refresh this page"

I installed Joomla into the root directory for that site. There is no installation directory to delete.

Can anyone tell me how to gain access to the admin section after a fresh Joomla installation like this?

jaysunp
All the best,
jason bradley

Freeing Minds from the Matrix
GemstoneUniversity.org

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:39 am

jaysunp wrote:      "For your security please completely remove the installation directory including all files and sub-folders - then refresh this page"
Oviously there still is an installation directory on the subdictory level of your Joomla installation.You need to find it and delete it...

umarglobal
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by umarglobal » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi Everyone

I read your posts and was quite happy to know that you guys are will be willing to help. I installed joomla using the one already on godaddy.

It worked fine for me and the default template site is working. One thing i am worried about is the database name in the configuration file  is different to the one i have created in godaddy. I was hoping that go daddy would give me an option to name my database during the installation process, but unfortuantely it didnt.

If i change the exisitng database name in the configuration file to the database that i have created in godaddy, willl it be much of a problem? and will the site run as normal?

Thanks in advance
Umarglobal

jaysunp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jaysunp » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:16 am

umarglobal wrote: Hi Everyone

If i change the exisitng database name in the configuration file to the database that i have created in godaddy, willl it be much of a problem? and will the site run as normal?

Thanks in advance
Umarglobal
Umarglobal,

One of the problems with GoDaddy's automatic installation of Joomla is that the database it creates is a virtual database which you have no control, nor can you rename it or back it up. If you continue to look throught he forums, you will find many people, like ourselves, who have used their service and had problems with it.

When I encountered this issue, I chose to rebuild my site and database completely. My recommendation...delete Goddady's auto install, and their database, and figure out how to do a manual install and recreate your site now before you invest too much time in it.

All the best,
jaysunp
All the best,
jason bradley

Freeing Minds from the Matrix
GemstoneUniversity.org

umarglobal
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by umarglobal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:24 am

jaysunp wrote:
umarglobal wrote: Hi Everyone

Thanks in advance
Umarglobal
Umarglobal,

One of the problems with GoDaddy's automatic installation of Joomla is that the database it creates is a virtual database which you have no control, nor can you rename it or back it up. If you continue to look throught he forums, you will find many people, like ourselves, who have used their service and had problems with it.

When I encountered this issue, I chose to rebuild my site and database completely. My recommendation...delete Goddady's auto install, and their database, and figure out how to do a manual install and recreate your site now before you invest too much time in it.

All the best,
jaysunp

Hi Thanks for the prompt reply,

I realise that as i tried to change the details but it didnt work. I manually uploaded the joomla files using FileZilla which i recommend everyone to use as it works perfect. Initially i  had problems as i was using macromedia dreamweaver 8 ftp client which is totally crap for uploading large files, as it almost never uploads the heavy files up properly or completely.

I have everything set up now thanks a lot

Regards

pabben
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pabben » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi, I received this piece of information:

"Your site is not well indexed in Google yet:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3aw ... llos%2ecom
You need to get more pages in your site reachable by the Google crawler. This is probably difficult due to your hopepage doing a redirect to the following page:
http://www.caballocriollos.com/
You should configure your webserver to serve whatever is in this location AS the homepage with no redirects."

I'm using godaddy the economy linux plan, and i used the automatic installation of Joomla from godaddy. How i can solve this issue?  Thanks
Last edited by pabben on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon.stones
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simon.stones » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 pm

Where is that from?

pabben
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by pabben » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Uruguay.  :D

JUANN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JUANN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:57 pm

I host Joomla 1.0.11 with GODADDY and the only problem is that my 'Contact Us' form doesn't send the message - or rather it seems to, but nothing comes in  my email ([email protected])  .  I've been in Global - Mail and messed around changing the mailer from PHP to sendmail to SMTP, the sendmail path is default at'/usr/sbin/sendmail'  In "Components \ Contacts \ Manage Contacts" from the admin panel all data are corect .

I change email address ([email protected]) and the contact form works.  But when I  use  [email protected]  doesn’t work. 

Godaddy sucks
Last edited by JUANN on Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”