AllVideos Plugin v2.0: THE all-in-one video management solution

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! bots/Plugins here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wglenncamp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: AllVideos Plugin v2.0: THE all-in-one video management solution

Post by wglenncamp » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:30 pm

fotisevangelou wrote: It shouldn't be difficult, I have already tried this on VirtueMart! But you need to "hack" some of Joomlaboard's files...  ;)
Yes, I have the hack working on virtuemart, but I haven't been able to get it to work with joomlaboard. 

wglenncamp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wglenncamp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:20 am

Is there a way that I can place my .flv outside of the webroot and retrieve them with this application?  Maybe with a php script or something?  I have some files that I want to play on my site, but I don't want them played on others.

Thanks.

blunderpup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blunderpup » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:32 am

fotisevangelou wrote: Yes, I have. Perhaps you should check the z-index(es) in your site's css file to make sure that no div overlaps the layer on which the player exists. Also enable the transparency in the plugin.
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I found a plugin for Firefox that downloads and shows all css files linked to a page. Of the 10 that show in my home page only two use a z-index. The first is the template_css.css and the second is in the css for the Suckerfish menu system. Both of these are supplied by the theme.

I'm completely new to css so after studying some of the css files and comparing them to the div tags in the index.php, I'm starting to get a glimmer of how things are constructed. In the whole mess z-index is used twice with different numbers and based on my understanding these control how the layers are arranged. But, I have no clue how to find the layer that the player exists on. Since the second z-index setting only applies to my menu system, is it safe to assume that the video is on the same layer as that with the z-index of 10000?

djseamus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: AllVideos Plugin v2.0: help with audio needed, please

Post by djseamus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:32 am

Hi! I've installed 2.1, saved it and made sure it's published, yet when i come to upload mp3 files to the images/stories/audio/ folder i get a message saying the file type is not supported... ???

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:16 am

blunderpup wrote:
fotisevangelou wrote: Yes, I have. Perhaps you should check the z-index(es) in your site's css file to make sure that no div overlaps the layer on which the player exists. Also enable the transparency in the plugin.
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I found a plugin for Firefox that downloads and shows all css files linked to a page. Of the 10 that show in my home page only two use a z-index. The first is the template_css.css and the second is in the css for the Suckerfish menu system. Both of these are supplied by the theme.

I'm completely new to css so after studying some of the css files and comparing them to the div tags in the index.php, I'm starting to get a glimmer of how things are constructed. In the whole mess z-index is used twice with different numbers and based on my understanding these control how the layers are arranged. But, I have no clue how to find the layer that the player exists on. Since the second z-index setting only applies to my menu system, is it safe to assume that the video is on the same layer as that with the z-index of 10000?
Nope, overall it's clearly a template issue. Others have had the same problem too with some Rockettheme templates (i'm not implying anything  :D these guys make the best templates around!), so you could try switching to the default one to simply test if the video works and report back.  ;)
Fotis Evangelou / https://www.joomlaworks.net

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: AllVideos Plugin v2.0: help with audio needed, please

Post by fotisevangelou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:18 am

djseamus wrote: Hi! I've installed 2.1, saved it and made sure it's published, yet when i come to upload mp3 files to the images/stories/audio/ folder i get a message saying the file type is not supported... ???
The best way to upload such files on your website is via an FTP program. It's the most reliable way, cause 1) there is a file upload limit for the manager and 2) there is a file type restriction too! All these can be tweaked of course, but the best solution is to use an FTP program!  ;)

djseamus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djseamus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:43 am

Kewl! That went fine.
Now, next issue: in the wysiwyg editor i highlight the name of the audio clip, click on the link button and type in: {mp3}name_of_audio_clip{/mp3}
however, when clicking on the newly created link(after saving of course) i get the following browser error message:
The requested URL /{mp3}name_of_audio_clip{/mp3} was not found on this server.
Am I doing this correctly?

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:08 pm

djseamus wrote: Kewl! That went fine.
Now, next issue: in the wysiwyg editor i highlight the name of the audio clip, click on the link button and type in: {mp3}name_of_audio_clip{/mp3}
however, when clicking on the newly created link(after saving of course) i get the following browser error message:
The requested URL /{mp3}name_of_audio_clip{/mp3} was not found on this server.
Am I doing this correctly?
You don't need to use the editor at all! Simply right the tags:

Code: Select all

{mp3}name_of_audio_clip{/mp3}
...inside your item!  ;)

djseamus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djseamus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Sorry, but I don't understand. Which item?

djseamus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by djseamus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:09 pm

Never mind. i figured it out when i took a loo break 8)

blunderpup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blunderpup » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Nope, overall it's clearly a template issue. Others have had the same problem too

I set the default theme to rhuk_solarflare_ii and all problems with the flash video went away. Hmmm....now what to do? Find a new template?

I've seen some attractive stuff at Joomla Art, I wonder if they have this issue with their themes?

Also I notice that when IE is used an additional chunk of IE only css loads. I know MS is a major pain when it comes to standards. I wouldn't care personally since I use FireFox most of the time but so many of my users only use IE.

Thanks for your help.

ragdollop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ragdollop » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:20 am

I wish I could figure out how to make it work with my current template.  I know that it is not allvideos fault and is the template, but I really can't change my template at this time.  Has anyone figured out what the conflict is with some templates?

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:36 am

ragdollop wrote: I wish I could figure out how to make it work with my current template.  I know that it is not allvideos fault and is the template, but I really can't change my template at this time.  Has anyone figured out what the conflict is with some templates?
Do not desper! Use the CSS Class option that comes with AllVideos. It's in the params page.

Add a class called "allvideos". Then insert this css code in your template's css file.

.allvideos {position:relative;z-index:9999;}
This will perhaps force the div layer on which the videos are on to come higher than other layers used by the template, that might cause problems.

Alternatively, you can delete all div containers in the php code inside mambots/content/plugin_jw_allvideos.php ...  ;)

Let us know how it works out for you...

blunderpup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by blunderpup » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:42 am

I think I found a solution to my problems with this though I may yet implement the "allvideos" class option. I saw a note in a completely non-related forum message somewhere that a problem had been caused by RocketTheme's Rok-Latest module.

For sometime I have been running this and last evening I removed that and replaced it with the stock "Latest News". For now, my problems seeing video and lightbox photo effects has disappeared.

I am not saying there is a problem with Rok-Latest but more likely it interacted with something else I have installed to create a CSS issue. Perhaps now I can stop my planned theme change.

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:33 pm

Nice!!  :D So I propose other users that reported similar issues should confirm this and perhaps notify the guys at RT to fix it.  ;)

jochovitch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jochovitch » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 pm

Hello,

Is there a way to use other formats (width and height) then the master size? Sometimes we use 16:9, sometimes 4:3, with only one size to work with this is difficult.

greetings,

Jochen

ricland
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ricland » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:53 pm

Got it working. But can't get it to display .swf -- nothing appears at all for swfs.

Also, how do I include a start image with each flv? I see the folder in the plugin admin, but how does it match the right jpg with each video clip?

I'm confused about this.

ric

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:02 pm

jochovitch wrote: Hello,

Is there a way to use other formats (width and height) then the master size? Sometimes we use 16:9, sometimes 4:3, with only one size to work with this is difficult.

greetings,

Jochen
You need to take advantage of css in this case. Otherwise, no you can't have different proportions/dimensions.

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:05 pm

ricland wrote: Got it working. But can't get it to display .swf -- nothing appears at all for swfs.

Also, how do I include a start image with each flv? I see the folder in the plugin admin, but how does it match the right jpg with each video clip?

I'm confused about this.

ric
If the SWF is large then you're gonna have to wait till it downloads. FLV is for streaming, not SWF (unless you have a Flash Com Server!)...

As for the image, you don't include different images for different videos! Only one image (your logo or a nice message) for all!  ;)

nickers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nickers » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:35 pm

You need to take advantage of css in this case. Otherwise, no you can't have different proportions/dimensions.
I know this isn't your job, but could you show us an example?

Thank you!  :)

nickers

emilioda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by emilioda » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:17 pm

Am I missing something?? Where is the admin screen for this plug-in. When I click on it inside the site mambot screen or click on edit I get "restricted access". Any ideas?

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:46 pm

emilioda wrote: Am I missing something?? Where is the admin screen for this plug-in. When I click on it inside the site mambot screen or click on edit I get "restricted access". Any ideas?
Yes! It's a Joomla! bug and here is the solution: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg455550

nickers wrote:
I know this isn't your job, but could you show us an example?

Thank you!  :)

nickers
OK,

say you want the category "Funny Videos" to display [youtube] vids with a bigger width than the rest, for example 500px. This category must be hooked on some menu. If you open the menu item that "links" to this category, you will see on the right some parameters. Did you see the class suffix? Add there something like funnyvideos and then open up your template file and add at the bottom:

.funnyvideos .allvideos object,
.funnyvideos .allvideos embed {
    width: 500px;
    height: 400px;
}

This will resize now your videos for that specific category :)

Got it?

richardfv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by richardfv » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 am

hello, i remember you were saying that you might come with a new version working on IE, or maybe is there a new code line to make it work ?

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:35 am

richardfv wrote: hello, i remember you were saying that you might come with a new version working on IE, or maybe is there a new code line to make it work ?
There will be a delay until mid-November for the new AllVideos. But it'll worth it.  ;)

nickers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nickers » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:09 pm

OK,

say you want the category "Funny Videos" to display [youtube] vids with a bigger width than the rest, for example 500px. This category must be hooked on some menu. If you open the menu item that "links" to this category, you will see on the right some parameters. Did you see the class suffix? Add there something like funnyvideos and then open up your template file and add at the bottom:

.funnyvideos .allvideos object,
.funnyvideos .allvideos embed {
}

This will resize now your videos for that specific category :)

Got it?
I'm having trouble getting this to work. So then I just tried to set an overall css setting for video dimensions that I assumed would work for any video anywhere on the page using something like this:

.allvideos object,
.allvideos embed {
}

Since the class allvideo is definded in the allvideos mambot settings, shouldn't that bit of css code work for any video in any page location? And what about the dimensiosn that are hardcoded into the style tags based on the mambot settings? How is the css code able to override these?

Thank you,
nickers

nickers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nickers » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:37 pm

Let me be more clear...what I hope to do is be able to change the hight and width of videos on a per video, per instance basis not a per category basis. Is this possible? Your example talked about creating a new category and having to link that to a menu item.

EDIT: FYI, I tried your exact example and the video was still displayed at the dimensions set in the default mamabot properties, not at the dimensions set in the css.

If this isn't possible, is there a way to at least define dimensions in other ways? For example, any video that appears inside the "contentpaneopen" area will display with certain dimensions.

I've yet to get css to affect any video in any location yet.

Anybody with a working example?

This is not an indication that something is wrong or broken with the AllVideos plugin. I realize this is a css / layout issue. But I'm still just as confused. :)

Thanks!
nickers
Last edited by nickers on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiedyefl1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tiedyefl1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:34 pm

first the all videos plugin is working greatly but i think it may be causing an interference with another emed code i am trying to use.  also i am sort of a newbie.  a friend of mine with almost unlimited bandwidth has offered to hot my video's on his server as a cross promotion to his site.  he gave the embed code and i put it in a static page, however when the page is never done loading it on the front end, and it is appears to be trying to come up as a flash video.

the code i entered on the page is

the link is

http://www.stileindustries.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=44

any help is greatly appreciated and a bigs thanks in advance

one last thing i am also trying to use the {myspacevideocode} tag and the video will not play same link as above
Last edited by tiedyefl1 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kissja
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kissja » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 pm

fotisevangelou wrote:
Do not desper! Use the CSS Class option that comes with AllVideos. It's in the params page.

Add a class called "allvideos". Then insert this css code in your template's css file.

.allvideos {position:relative;z-index:9999;}
This will perhaps force the div layer on which the videos are on to come higher than other layers used by the template, that might cause problems.

Alternatively, you can delete all div containers in the php code inside mambots/content/plugin_jw_allvideos.php ...  ;)

Let us know how it works out for you...
only works in IE to delete temporary internet files and reopen (not refresh) the article and next time to do it again :(

css "hack" and remove divs from php doesn't work for me

fotisevangelou
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by fotisevangelou » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:26 am

nickers wrote: Let me be more clear...what I hope to do is be able to change the hight and width of videos on a per video, per instance basis not a per category basis. Is this possible? Your example talked about creating a new category and having to link that to a menu item.

EDIT: FYI, I tried your exact example and the video was still displayed at the dimensions set in the default mamabot properties, not at the dimensions set in the css.

If this isn't possible, is there a way to at least define dimensions in other ways? For example, any video that appears inside the "contentpaneopen" area will display with certain dimensions.

I've yet to get css to affect any video in any location yet.

Anybody with a working example?

This is not an indication that something is wrong or broken with the AllVideos plugin. I realize this is a css / layout issue. But I'm still just as confused. :)

Thanks!
nickers
I forgot to say that in order for this to work, you should insert this css code inside a seperate css file, which you would "link" on your template file, right before the closing tag.

But the best solution would perhaps be to remove any widths and heights from the AllVideos code. Then insert the above css inside your normal css file and not a seperate one.

Return to “Plugins/Mambots”