patTemplate : "mature" to start developing with?

A general technical discussion area for patTemplate.
ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

patTemplate : "mature" to start developing with?

Post by ford » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:40 pm

First of all thank you for your excellent work with Joomla ! Your efforts are very much appreciated!

I'm about do a major overhaul of a component developed on M**** 4.5.1 & 4.5.2.x  and after reading through help.joomla.org my question is : Should I start to develop using the patTemplate engine now? Or should I wait for Joomla 1.1 ??

Thanks

Ford

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: patTemplate : "mature" to start developing with?

Post by Hackwar » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:09 pm

Good question, I started developing a genuine template with Mambo 4.5.3 because I thought it was a stable release, but realised it was not. Developing in patTemplate IS good, and according to threads I've read it is included in Mambo 4.5.2.3/Joomla 1.0, although I personally don't know how to handle it. (means, you could use it in 4.5.2.3 allready) I would say to develop in patTemplate, because it would be a clean module/component and it WILL come after all, but you will have to wait a few more days. You can be assured that your work is not in vain.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:32 pm

Hey Hackwar

Thanks for your reply. Well, I guess there's no way around it then. Got a lot of reading to do ...........

See ya

Ford :)

Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Predator » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:56 pm

We will support the 3PD Developers more in near future to get more use to patTemplate, meantime this would help to learn more about paTemplates http://help.joomla.org/content/section/21/182/
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:20 am

I don't have any time to update the docs yet and write some more tutorials but you can see what I've done in a component I've written:

http://developer.joomla.org/integration ... m=exsy1002

Have a look at components.php and component.html.php

Hope this helps...and yes, once you start designing in patTemplate you will never go back.
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:24 am

Just to clarify, the ability to render output with patTemplates is included in 1.0 series.

However, thefcore code, will not be using it [patTemplate] till the 1.1 series (currently still in pre-alpha)

However, we would encourage that 3rd party developers start exploring and familiarisng themselves with it as it is going to be an important part of 1.1 and really encourages better coding standards and cleaner separation of output and business logic of code.

Once 1.1 SVN is back in useable state, I woudl encourage 3rd party developers to look at the cahnges made to output rendering for the frontend code, which fully utilizes patTemplate
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:24 am

This sounds great! I'll have a go at it.

Ford ;)

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:42 am

masterchief wrote: I don't have any time to update the docs yet and write some more tutorials but you can see what I've done in a component I've written:

http://developer.joomla.org/integration ... m=exsy1002

Have a look at components.php and component.html.php

Hope this helps...and yes, once you start designing in patTemplate you will never go back.
Check the privs, heh.  :P
Al Warren
This ain't my first rodeo. Red Foreman says it best.
CQDX de WR5AW

madflow
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by madflow » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:44 pm

ford wrote: Hey Hackwar

Thanks for your reply. Well, I guess there's no way around it then. Got a lot of reading to do ...........

See ya

Ford :)
Reading? Check the examples shipped with patTemplates (php-tools.net) and you will start hacking right away! ;)

ford
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ford » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:49 am

Thanks for the tip madflow ;D

Ford

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:08 pm

I've been doing some expiramenting with patTemplates. It seems to work fine except for translations. The translation function has been altered to work with Joomla translation methods. Going to do some expirimenting today to see if I can get it to work.
Al Warren
This ain't my first rodeo. Red Foreman says it best.
CQDX de WR5AW

snap
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by snap » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:30 am

Hi!

just a quick question,is pattemplate something a beginner would be able to use? i don't have much php experience,and i'm bassically new to HTML as well (but reading arduously;))

Return to “patTemplate”