Proposed Solution: Double Login Issues

michpeta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Proposed Solution: Double Login Issues

Post by michpeta » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:43 am

friesengeist wrote:
michpeta wrote: I have found an additional issue. When I go to my home page, then use any of hte menu items, then choose home from the menu, then try to login, it logs me in but does not show me as logged in.
What exactly do you mean by saying "does not show me as logged in"?

Sorry for being unclear. On some pages I am clearly logged in, but on others I am not. I belive that Joomla belives that I am logged in but does not show me that way on some pages. Would it help if I created a user account for you?

Thanks again,

Michael

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:42 pm

michpeta wrote: Sorry for being unclear. On some pages I am clearly logged in, but on others I am not. I belive that Joomla belives that I am logged in but does not show me that way on some pages. Would it help if I created a user account for you?
There seems to be something wrong with your webserver configuration. Do you use some kind of caching system?
After logging in, I get a "304 - Not Modified" header back. That way, it shows me as logged out, although I have successfully logged in. This goes even so far that it shows me as logged in on another page, although I just logged out!
We may not be able to control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails

Black Phoenix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Black Phoenix » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Anyone think what I can do with this white page problem. Now, ANYTHING i change with the site, a white page appears :(

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:39 am

Black Phoenix wrote: Anyone think what I can do with this white page problem. Now, ANYTHING i change with the site, a white page appears :(
Did you receive my private message? Anyway, what were the exact changes you made?

michpeta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by michpeta » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:46 am

friesengeist wrote:
michpeta wrote: Sorry for being unclear. On some pages I am clearly logged in, but on others I am not. I belive that Joomla belives that I am logged in but does not show me that way on some pages. Would it help if I created a user account for you?
There seems to be something wrong with your webserver configuration. Do you use some kind of caching system?
After logging in, I get a "304 - Not Modified" header back. That way, it shows me as logged out, although I have successfully logged in. This goes even so far that it shows me as logged in on another page, although I just logged out!
I am having the same problem. As far as I know, there are no special caching rules or systems running on my server. Joomlas cache is turned off. I agree that the behaviour is undesirable although at least users can connect most of the time now.

Cenobite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cenobite » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:30 am

I'm having a similar problem, which remains unresolved.

I'm using Joomla! 1.0.11 on Apache with PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 5.0.15. My site is also using Community Builder 1.0.2

I have tried friesengeist's originally attached files, setting live_site to "www" in my configuration.php, redirecting to "www" using .htaccess, and all possible combinations of these. Nothing has worked for me.

Basically, when trying to login, the user is not logged in and the page simply reloads with the login form still empty. The "users online" area, however, does show that a member is logged in. Also, each time a user reloads a page or goes to a new page, the "users online" value is incremented. I have often had it showing more than 20 users online, even when I know for a fact that I am the only user on the site! This erroneous value is also shown in the administrator backend. (Though, logging into the administrator backend is no trouble at all. Only the frontend has this problem.)

Ticking the "remember me" box solves the problem, though, and the user logs in first time and remains logged in. Needless to say, this isn't really an acceptable fix or even a workaround, as I need the full login functionality - and also the "users online" value to reflect accurately. Most other people on this forum who experience a similar problem report that they are, in fact, able to login after two attempts. This is not the case for me as it remains impossible to login, no matter how many times you try, unless the "remember me" box is ticked.

The bizarre thing, though, is that I have another Joomla! site (Adult Games IRC) running on the same server with many of the same components, but it does not give me this problem at all! To be fair, that particular site was originally hosted under a subdomain (e.g., http://adultgames.example.com) and it did, in fact, give me the same problem as my current site. I have since moved the Adult Games IRC site to its own domain, and the problem disappeared immediately. My current site, however, has been uploaded to its own domain but inexplicably has this same problem that Adult Games had.

The site in question is at http://www.my20best.com - it has no real content yet, as I am still in the process of setting it up, but I cannot continue until I have this issue sorted out. I have created a temporary account for anyone willing to help me out.

Username: tempacc Password: tempacc

Any assistance that leads to this annoying problem being sorted out will earn my undying gratitude, as I am pretty much desperate at this point.

Thanks!  :)

P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I would imagine the more detail I can provide of my problem, the better.  :P

[edit]
I know that this is not a browser cookie issue, as I have cleared cookies and tested it on Firefox, Konqueror and Internet Explorer, on Windows XP and on Linux.

Another thing, I originally put the site together on my own WAMP server. It did not give me any of these problems. They only started as soon as I uploaded the site to my webserver.

I've found that going to "Global Configuration", the "server" tab, and changing the "session authentication method" from Level 3 to Level 2 solves the logging in issue. Unfortunately the "who's online" value still gets incremented incorrectly. This, again, is not an ideal workaround, but maybe it'll give someone smarter than me a clue as to what's going on.
Last edited by Cenobite on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CliffH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CliffH » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 am

hey when I try to login to my site it sends me to a page after I login that has my categories in user2 (which isn't even activated) and the rest of the page is blank, I just want it to return to the page I logged in from after it logs in. will this fix that problem and if not please tell me how I can. thank you

And Merry Christmas everyone

instantinlaw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by instantinlaw » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 am

THANKS friesengeist!
It worked like a charm.
JOOMLA ROCKS!

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Cenobite wrote: I've found that going to "Global Configuration", the "server" tab, and changing the "session authentication method" from Level 3 to Level 2 solves the logging in issue. Unfortunately the "who's online" value still gets incremented incorrectly. This, again, is not an ideal workaround, but maybe it'll give someone smarter than me a clue as to what's going on.
Are you using AOL? The level two is for users with changing IP addresses.

CliffH wrote: hey when I try to login to my site it sends me to a page after I login that has my categories in user2 (which isn't even activated) and the rest of the page is blank, I just want it to return to the page I logged in from after it logs in. will this fix that problem and if not please tell me how I can. thank you
Sorry, I don't fully understand what you mean by saying "a page [...] that has my categories in user2 (which isn't even activated)".
There is a setting for the Login Module where you can specify the page where you will be redirected after login. If you leave this blank, you will be redirected to the page where you just came from.

Cenobite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cenobite » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 am

friesengeist wrote:
No, I am not using AOL nor any kind of proxy. Also, as I've stated in my previous post, I have another Joomla! site running on the exact same server and is not giving me any login issues at all.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:26 am

Cenobite wrote:
friesengeist wrote:
No, I am not using AOL nor any kind of proxy. Also, as I've stated in my previous post, I have another Joomla! site running on the exact same server and is not giving me any login issues at all.
Can you please put it back to level three for testing? (I guess you have it at level two at the moment, as I can log in with the test account just fine).

chey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chey » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:41 am

this works for me! hurray, no more problems for my simpleboard now. love the mods!  :-*

one thing though. i have to click the 'remember me' checkbox before it will stay logged in for me. :(
Last edited by chey on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

djshema
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djshema » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:53 am

Hi

I tried all 3 solutions and I can still not log in. THis is the 3rd time that I have tried to upgrade and I can not resolve the back end admin login and keep getting the you need to log in message.

My site was originally installed to http://site.org, but in the config file I did chage it to http://www.site.org. COuld that pose a problem? friesengeist, I will PM you my site.

Cenobite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cenobite » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:58 pm

friesengeist wrote:
Cenobite wrote:
friesengeist wrote:
Can you please put it back to level three for testing? (I guess you have it at level two at the moment, as I can log in with the test account just fine).
It actually was back on 3. Subsequent research on my part shows me that a minority of people can login without problems, but others, like myself, cannot. Those who cannot login are also not using AOL nor behind any kind of proxy. I have actually contacted my ISP a couple of days ago, and according to them my connection is not going through any proxy on their side either.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that some people can login and some can't, even though the connections are identical. It also vexes me that I am unable to login to my new site, though I can perfectly login to another Joomla! 1.0.11 site running on the same server.

I have completely reinstalled Joomla! for my new site. I've installed it on the server (as opposed to uploading everything from my WAMP server), and I've not added any new components so it is truly as fresh an installation as you can get. Unfortunately, the same problem keeps occurring. I've reapplied friesengeist's fix, as well as some of the other proposed fixes in this thread. Still I am frustrated by failure.

This "minor" problem has put me weeks behind schedule getting the site up, and cost me more sleepless nights trying to fix than I care to count. I'm sadly at the stage now where just switching to a different CMS will probably end up costing me less work, time and money than continuing to bash my head against a wall. But I want to use Joomla! and I know that getting this problem sorted out will be for the benefit of everyone. So I'm in a pretty desperate situation.

Aircoop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Aircoop » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:35 pm

I, too, have tried all posted solutions.  None of them work.  I can logon sporadically - but I can pin down the reason I can't login at times.  The site is glasstire.com/dev1011 - I have tried www, no www, etc.  Site was installed using www

Help!!!

Thanks,

Aircoop

Aircoop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Aircoop » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 pm

Sorry - the addy is glasstire.net/dev1011 . . .

ltdan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ltdan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi All

This is a very informative thread, I have been having a problem that I think is sort of related to this, except it doesn't matter how many times  the users login using IE7 it still won't show that the user is logged in.  Before I tried the patches in this thread, the attempted login via IE7 would immediately show an HTTP 403 error, then refreshing the page would send you back to the login page.  If the user attempts to login using Firefox or Opera it works ok.

We have 2 domains linked to the site, the 'live site' that Joomla was installed on is http://www.foxhound-clan.co.uk/index.php but we are using ZoneEdit to alias our other domain name of http://www.foxhoundclan.com

Now after trying the configuration.php fix & the 2 files from friesengeist I no longer get the HTTP 403 error page, but it just says you are logged on, but still giving the 'login' box, so the options that are only available when logged on are not available (like the shout box & 'your details' etc...).

Just one more thing as well, if the user enters the web site by entering http://www.foxhound-clan.co.uk/index.php in IE7 they will be able to log in ok.  It is only the http://www.foxhoundclan.com address that isn't working.

For any of you who want to try it out, I have set up a test account for a registered user, the login name is 'another test' password 'another test'.

Cheers

mvdw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mvdw » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:01 pm

Hello Everybody

I have struggled with the login problem (Joomla 1.0.11) for a long time.  I tried everything mentioned here, but it did not help.  I continued to develop as I searched for a solution to this problem.  (I am new to Joomla).

Finally I moved my site to another domain (to prepare to go live), and to my surprise found that the login problem was solved.

Upon investigation (I looked at the control panels of the two domains) I found that the only difference in their setup was that the one where it did not work had PARENT PATHS enabled, and the one where it worked had PARENT PATHS disabled.  I tested this, and found that this setting indeed causes my login problem (or solve it if set correctly).  That solved my problem.

I hope this information is of value to someone else as well.

Mariana

ltdan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ltdan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi mvdw

Can I ask are you using cPanel for your domain control, where would I find the Parent Paths section to see what mine says?

mvdw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mvdw » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:23 pm

Hello Itdan

I have no idea what you need to do, I am not using cPanel I think.  Maybe the best route is to ask your SP what the setting currently is and how you can access it through your control panel.

Regards
Mariana

ltdan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ltdan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:48 pm

Will do, thanks for your post, it might be the issue I am having  :)

mvdw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mvdw » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:09 pm

I hope it is and it solves your problem.  Bye.

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Is this safe for 1.0.12 ?

mvdw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mvdw » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Hello pmcnamara

I don't know, and found that although it solved the problem for some users, others has afterwards still reported the problem - so at very best it proved to be a step towards a solution.  But sadly not really working for all my users.

Regards

Cenobite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cenobite » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:55 pm

I've now installed version 1.0.12 from scratch and it doesn't solve my problem.  :'(

Curiously, whereas with 1.0.11 it wouldn't show me logged in at all, when I now try and login on 1.0.12, it does show me as logged in, but as soon as I click any link (e.g., FAQ), I'm logged out again. If I click on a usermenu item (e.g., Your Details), it just tells me "you're not authorized to view this resource".

The problem with the "who's online" box is still there, too. Each time I refresh or go to another page on the site, the number increments, even when I'm the only user online.  ??? >:(

jdecorte
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jdecorte » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm having the very same problem with Joomla 1.0.12 on Apache on Windows.

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:22 pm

You can add me three..

Cenobite
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cenobite » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm

I have now also tried using friesengeist's files - from the original post - on 1.0.12. I didn't expect this to work, but I tried it out of sheer desperation.

Guess what!... It didn't work either.  :'(

pmcnamara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmcnamara » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Its amazing to me that such a horrific problem would be allowed to exist in version after version.

This should be the #1 issue the J! team is working on.

Jack Goa
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jack Goa » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm

I think the problem is that it doesn't occur with every install. I have had it about twice out of close to a hundred.
So it's a bit hard to pinpoint, best I could do is just to make sure I get notified of replies on all the topics where this appears in the forums...
Joomla kicks WP's butt.

Return to “Superseded Issues - Archive”