I'm having a similar problem, which remains unresolved.
I'm using Joomla! 1.0.11 on Apache with PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 5.0.15. My site is also using Community Builder 1.0.2
I have tried friesengeist's originally attached files, setting live_site to "www" in my configuration.php, redirecting to "www" using .htaccess, and all possible combinations of these. Nothing has worked for me.
Basically, when trying to login, the user is not
logged in and the page simply reloads with the login form still empty. The "users online" area, however, does show that a member is logged in. Also, each time a user reloads a page or goes to a new page, the "users online" value is incremented. I have often had it showing more than 20 users online, even when I know for a fact that I am the only user on the site! This erroneous value is also shown in the administrator backend. (Though, logging into the administrator backend is no trouble at all. Only the frontend has this problem.)
Ticking the "remember me" box solves the problem, though, and the user logs in first time and remains logged in. Needless to say, this isn't really an acceptable fix or even a workaround, as I need the full login functionality - and also the "users online" value to reflect accurately. Most other people on this forum who experience a similar problem report that they are, in fact, able to login after two attempts. This is not the case for me as it remains impossible to login, no matter how many times you try, unless the "remember me" box is ticked.
The bizarre thing, though, is that I have another
Joomla! site (Adult Games IRC
) running on the same server with many of the same components, but it does not give me this problem at all! To be fair, that particular site was originally hosted under a subdomain (e.g., http://adultgames.example.com
) and it did
, in fact, give me the same problem as my current site. I have since moved the Adult Games IRC
site to its own domain, and the problem disappeared immediately. My current site, however, has been uploaded to its own domain but inexplicably has this same problem that Adult Games
The site in question is at http://www.my20best.com
- it has no real content yet, as I am still in the process of setting it up, but I cannot continue until I have this issue sorted out. I have created a temporary account for anyone willing to help me out.
Any assistance that leads to this annoying problem being sorted out will earn my undying gratitude, as I am pretty much desperate at this point.
P.S. Sorry for the long post, but I would imagine the more detail I can provide of my problem, the better. :P
I know that this is not a browser cookie issue, as I have cleared cookies and tested it on Firefox, Konqueror and Internet Explorer, on Windows XP and on Linux.
Another thing, I originally put the site together on my own WAMP server. It did not give me any of these problems. They only started as soon as I uploaded the site to my webserver.
I've found that going to "Global Configuration", the "server" tab, and changing the "session authentication method" from Level 3 to Level 2 solves the logging in issue. Unfortunately the "who's online" value still gets incremented incorrectly. This, again, is not an ideal workaround, but maybe it'll give someone smarter than me a clue as to what's going on.