PHP Mail Function, Send Mail

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
meanpc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PHP Mail Function, Send Mail

Post by meanpc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 pm

Can someone please explain to me the difference between PHP Mail Function and Sendmail?  I'm referring specifically to the dropdown  selection in the mail section of global configuration.  I am having an issue where some people are not receiving authentication emails and some are.  My setting is currently PHP Mail function, and I am wondering what the ramifications of switching to Sendmail are, if any.
Thanks
Lonnie

kentaur
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: PHP Mail Function, Send Mail

Post by kentaur » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:40 pm

meanpc wrote: Can someone please explain to me the difference between PHP Mail Function and Sendmail?  I'm referring specifically to the dropdown  selection in the mail section of global configuration.  I am having an issue where some people are not receiving authentication emails and some are.  My setting is currently PHP Mail function, and I am wondering what the ramifications of switching to Sendmail are, if any.
Thanks
Lonnie
Hi, have you found out more on this topic? It seems to me Joomla offers these option, but in reality it uses only one that I cannot find to tailor to me needs.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:03 pm

PHP mail uses the settings in PHP.INI to send email through sendmail (there is a config section for email in PHP.INI)
Sendmail is a direct path that lets you build email but requires you to build the header for it (php mail does this for you)
SMTP uses a dedicated email server to send mail through. It is similar to sending email with outlook to your ISP.

kentaur
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kentaur » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Asphyx wrote: PHP mail uses the settings in PHP.INI to send email through sendmail (there is a config section for email in PHP.INI)
Sendmail is a direct path that lets you build email but requires you to build the header for it (php mail does this for you)
SMTP uses a dedicated email server to send mail through. It is similar to sending email with outlook to your ISP.
How can I gain access to PHP.INI? Is it safe to temper with that file? Can I tailor the mailing system to my need, in this particular instance from latin-1 to either latin-2 or better, yet, to utf-8? (On the side: is "utf-8" or "utf8" is the proper notation for this set?

Thanks.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:20 pm

You have to talk to your ISP to get access to PHP.INI

It's dangerous only if you don't know what your doing...
If you are not confident then you should try and work this out with them anyway.

rgfuller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rgfuller » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:07 am

Mine works fine when using Sendmail and configured to use Google Aps SMTP -- but when I change the dropdown selection to SMTP (leaving all other settings the same) it stops working. Sendmail is obviously using SMTP, so why wont it work when picking SMTP?
Thanks for any clarification or help with this

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”