Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
markberry555
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by markberry555 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 pm

markberry555 wrote: This manual worked great, and I finished the installation proud and walked away for about two months. When I came back today, now I can't log in as administrator to the backend, no matter what usernames and pws I try. The info I use for usernames and pws are pretty standard, so I'm shocked that I'm having this problem.

I can login as myself on the frontpage. But, when I enter "lost password," on the front page for my username, joomla routes me to my 404 error page that I set up with godaddy.com. I never get a pw in my inbox. You can try it out yourself at http://www.hottybootcamp.com

I think my administrator password might be something temporary or generic. I'm going to research what I might have set it to during the godaddy install manual. What's the easiest way to get back into my backend again if "lost password" doesn't work"? Thanks!!
I might have found my answer here... http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,10985.0.html If you have any additional comments, let me know! Thanks!

MShanon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MShanon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi,
I am trying to install version 1.5.
During the initial two steps every thin looks OK.
When I enter the DB information I get an error message of no Grant Access can any one help?

Best regards,
Moshe Shanon
[email protected]

PROXIMO
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PROXIMO » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:49 am

manne2004 wrote: I want to unzip the joomla.zip file which contains the full installation of Joomla.

I am hosting with GoDaddy on Linux, but they don't give SSL/Telnet access so I can unzip the file online...
I don't have fast internet access, thus copying the file over as a zip is easier and then unzipping anmd installing from there...

Any help would be great!
I like to share this information with you guys about godady, I have send an email to godady .and thisi s the response from them about unzip files.
Thank you for contacting Online Support.

You can upload an unzip files with our Linux based hosting account. However, we do not provide a tool or program to do this you will need to use a php function. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Mason G.
Online Support
Technician

Customer Inquiry
Name : blank
Phone : blank
Domain Name : aydinkoyu.net
Browser Info : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
Other : Controlpanel

hi, I was wondering is there anything such as File manager in your system.I would like to upload some Zip files and I would like to exract then after I uploaded the file in to my host.but I haven't see anything like File maneger option.I use to have file manager system in my hosting before and it was easy to use it for uploading files instead of using FTP system.

SpartanFrog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SpartanFrog » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Hello Everybody! :D
Yeah i had a fun time installing joomla!  I have a no programming language cept for html and some javascript ???.  So this guide caught my eye.  Its very good, but you can cut a lot out of it and not do a thing basically.  First go to your hosting acount with godaddy.  Then click on the control panel on the acount you are going to use joomla for.  It should pop up, and scroll down and find hosting metropolis under the content section.  It will bring you to a new page, and if Joomla! is not on the home page, you can just type it in the search.  It should come up, and install!  Godaddy does everything for you.  You gotta love it! :-*
RIBBIT!
RIBBIT!
Im 13 and i made MY OWN WEBSITE!

PROXIMO
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PROXIMO » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 am

MShanon wrote: Hi,
I am trying to install version 1.5.
During the initial two steps every thin looks OK.
When I enter the DB information I get an error message of no Grant Access can any one help?

Best regards,
Moshe Shanon
[email protected]

I am assuming your database name your dabataseuser name and password is wrong, you need to make sure you are typing correct database information, otherwise there is no way you could stuck on there. and by the way 1,5 is still beta.If you are going to use joomla system on your website, I can advise you to use joomla 1.0.12 that is the lates version right now.
Last edited by PROXIMO on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PROXIMO
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PROXIMO » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:20 am

I am wondering so it means , if we have 200mb file and we like to upload this file to host, the only way we can do this FTP?
I mean there is no an otherways  like File MAnager system in  the godady?
because I have over 200 mb file and it is not only one file it has a lot of folders in it, I did zip this and I want to upload into my host and unzip it there.how we do this in godady? or can we?

mdevane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdevane » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:58 pm

amu0373 wrote: I'm hosting serveral sites in one hosting account and the following is working for me:

I have created a sub-directory named www in the root of my joomla account with the domain names as sub-directories (without the www):

Code: Select all

<root>
  |
    |
    |-- mainsite.com
    |-- site1.com
    |-- site2.com
Then I created a .htaccess file in the root of my GoDaddy account with the following content:

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}  mainsite.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/www/mainsite\.com/.*$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$  /www/mainsite\.com/$1
#
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}  site1.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/www/site1\.com/.*$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$  /www/site1\.com/$1
#
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}  site2.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/www/site2\.com/.*$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$  /www/site2\.com/$1
#

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>

<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
At last ftp the Joomla installation files in each sub-directory and install them seperatly. Works like a charm for me!
Can you explain in a little more detail, what the rules you have written do specifically?

for a newbie  :-[

thx much, Mark
Regards, Mark

mdevane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdevane » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:04 pm

webdevmac wrote: One way to get Joomla! working on a GoDaddy Linux server.

(1) I uploaded the Joomla! folder directory using Transmit my FTP app. That was the easy part. What comes next can be a little troublesome if you're not use to the GoDaddy Control Panel GUI. When I started the installation in a web browser I had a "Security Check" that recommended me to turn off my "Register Globals", by default it's turned "ON".

(2) I had to turn off the "define( 'RG_EMULATION', 1 )" to "define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 )" which "0 = OFF" and "1 = ON". To do this you must go into your "globals.php" file in your Joomla! directory.

(3) I logged into my GoDaddy account and opened my GoDaddy Control Panel GUI. On the front page of the Control Panel under the heading "Account Summary" you will find the following.

Domain Name: yourdomainname.com

Server IP Address: 00.00.0.0

Bandwidth Allotment: 250,000 MB

Operating System: Linux

Hosting Configuration: 1.0 or 2.0

# of MySQL Databases: 0 Setup of 10 Available

Look at the "Hosting Configuration" above that says 1.0 or 2.0. Most likely is will be set to 1.0 and giving you a option to upgrade to 2.0. Do it because this is required to turn off the "Register Globals" for Joomla!. Then in your Control Panel go to the heading "Databases" where you will find the option "MySQL". Here you must create a database for Joomla! with a password. Note: The name of your MySQL database will also be your username in the Joomla! installation process, so don't forget this, it is very important, write down your MySQL database username and password.

(4) There is another step that is very easy to do yourself with little to no effort. You must also create a "php.ini" file. Don't put it into your Joomla! directory, just place it in the root of your website. This is what needs to be typed into the "php.ini" file using a WYSIWYG application of your choice, then type the following text...

EXAMPLE - TYPE THIS CODE IN THE "php.ini" FILE: register_globals= off

You're now done. You don't need to type the PHP delimiters "". Once you have done these steps, it should take about 30 to 60 minutes to take affect on the GoDaddy server you are using to host your website.

So I'm a little confused about the rg=off issue.  I am on a Godaddy Deluxe hosting account.  I have seen two approaches to solving this problem:
1) add line to .htaccess file in root joomla directory
2) add line to "new" php.ini file in root joomla directory

1) When I tried the first, my site went down completely.
2) When I tried second, it did nothing to impact the register_globals issue.  However, when I inserted the same php.ini file into the Administrator directory, volia! it worked.  Sounds great, but not understanding the underlying security issue, why didn't it work when I placed the file in root?  Does this mean that I need to place the new php.ini in every directory of my site? 

All of you php experts can feel free to chime in now  ;)

thx, Mark
Regards, Mark

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:12 am

Hi Mark,

Concerning your previous post:
If you're having a DeLuxe account you don't have to do de rewirtes! Use sub-domains, works better and faster.

Concerning this post:
You must use the php.ini in the root of your godaddy account. It's already there, you don't have to create it.

Alex.

deez_tC
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by deez_tC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:06 am

Genius 8)

mdevane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdevane » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:28 pm

amu0373 wrote: Hi Mark,

Concerning your previous post:
If you're having a DeLuxe account you don't have to do de rewirtes! Use sub-domains, works better and faster.

Concerning this post:
You must use the php.ini in the root of your godaddy account. It's already there, you don't have to create it.

Alex.
1. My understanding (and experience) is that rewrites are necessary when using any form of SEF.  Godaddy subdomain pointers do work when SEF is not used, but otherwise it hoses any page display other than index.php when SEF is turned on.  Many posts in this thread appear to coorborate.
2. No php.ini in my root.

Thanks anyway, Mark
Regards, Mark

mdevane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdevane » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Let's start over again  :o.  Below is the configuration I would like to achieve:

|
    |
    |-- mainsite.com
    |-- site1.com
    |-- site2.com

Requirements:
1. I am on Godaddy Deluxe account which provides for unlimited domains (based on space/bandwidth, etc.)
2. I would like to use some form of SEF - either core or 3rd party
3. I would like to keep site(s) organized like above.

Current Status / Observations:
1. The configuration pictured above works fine for all non-SEF sites (except mainsite.com) using redirect in Godaddy CP.  Apparently, Godaddy expects all mainsites to be located in root and does not allow redirects thru it's CP.
2. mainsite.com does not work at all, so I am guessing that .htacesss must be modified differently for mainsite.com vs. the other sites, since initial redirect for site1.com and site2.com is being handled thru Godaddy CP.
3. Using core SEF functionaility, this config does not work at all.
4. I have tested various options proposed by other posters, but have not gotten success  :-\

Questions:
1. when posters refer to .htaccess and php.ini being located in , are they referring to absolute as defined in above picture, or relative as defined in Godaddy CP (e.g. - mainsite.com, site1.com, etc. as described above)?
2.  Can someone with a similar setup post their .htaccess and describe in more detail how they got this to work with Godaddy?

Thanks much.
Last edited by mdevane on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mark

KevinKauai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KevinKauai » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 am

Brand new to things JOOMLA, but I have a very basic question as it relates to types of hosting accounts and GoDaddy installation.

For a variety of reasons, I am looking at JOOMLA for adding a sub-web of an existing website which is currently built in FrontPage 2003. For that reason, the site is hosted on a Windows Server. Does that mean that JOOMLA cannot be used?

Responses appreciated ... KevinKauai

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 pm

KevinKauai wrote: the site is hosted on a Windows Server. Does that mean that JOOMLA cannot be used?
Correct, you need a Linux server installation in order to install Joomla, but if I'm not mistaken you can run front page pages on a Linux server, I believe it is even possible to install frontpage extentions to it...

mdevane
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdevane » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:13 pm

mdevane wrote: Let's start over again  :o.  Below is the configuration I would like to achieve:

|
    |
    |-- mainsite.com
    |-- site1.com
    |-- site2.com

Requirements:
1. I am on Godaddy Deluxe account which provides for unlimited domains (based on space/bandwidth, etc.)
2. I would like to use some form of SEF - either core or 3rd party
3. I would like to keep site(s) organized like above.

Current Status / Observations:
1. The configuration pictured above works fine for all non-SEF sites (except mainsite.com) using redirect in Godaddy CP.  Apparently, Godaddy expects all mainsites to be located in root and does not allow redirects thru it's CP.
2. mainsite.com does not work at all, so I am guessing that .htacesss must be modified differently for mainsite.com vs. the other sites, since initial redirect for site1.com and site2.com is being handled thru Godaddy CP.
3. Using core SEF functionaility, this config does not work at all.
4. I have tested various options proposed by other posters, but have not gotten success  :-\

Questions:
1. when posters refer to .htaccess and php.ini being located in , are they referring to absolute as defined in above picture, or relative as defined in Godaddy CP (e.g. - mainsite.com, site1.com, etc. as described above)?
2.  Can someone with a similar setup post their .htaccess and describe in more detail how they got this to work with Godaddy?

Thanks much.
No one has any ideas on this?
Regards, Mark

pintobuck
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pintobuck » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:52 pm

mdevane,

GoDaddy will not give anyone access to the server root on a shared server.  The only root you can access is for your primary domain name.  With FTP or the control panel, your root probably looks like the folder: public_html
2) add line to "new" php.ini file in root joomla directory

2) When I tried second, it did nothing to impact the register_globals issue.  However, when I inserted the same php.ini file into the Administrator directory, volia! it worked.  Sounds great, but not understanding the underlying security issue, why didn't it work when I placed the file in root?  Does this mean that I need to place the new php.ini in every directory of my site?
I'm having the same problems, and I am no expert.  I am wondering if when you added it to your administrator directory, it turned  register_globals off for that directory and Joomla turned off the warning notice.  But, is the rest of you website is still unprotected?

Regarding SEF.  Open-SEF worked well for me after I followed this tutorial:
http://projects.j-prosolution.com/docum ... ensef.html

kwasster07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kwasster07 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:56 pm

h2ocello wrote: Presently GoDaddy does have the most current version of Joomla available for download (Joomla 1.0.11 by today's date).

You can have it Joomla installed by GoDaddy this way:
  1. Log into your GoDaddy Account
  2. Go to My Hosting Account, and select 'Open' under Control Panel
  3. In your Control Panel (called the Hosting Manager Control Panel), select Value Applications, then click 'Install' for Joomla. The version number is listed next to the download.

Joomla will be installed into a folder off your root, which they probably name 'joomla'.  Afterwards, you can easily move everything to your root or wherever else you'd like using an FTP program like SmartFTP.  Just make sure to edit your configuration.php file to get things pointing to the right place.

You can instead install Joomla on your own, and you can run multiple joomla systems on one hosting account. Again, using something like Smart FTP is a good way to go (this is the way I do it, and it's always worked for me).

Setting up a subdomain with products like SMF (simplemachines forum) is easy, too. I know this now after trying to make it very hard for myself, rewriting the .htaccess file, changing permissions on things, and the like. It turns out none of that was needed; the original .htaccess file worked fine. I just overlooked a really easy step, but the gentlemen I spoke with at GoDaddy was very helpful and quickly fixed my problem.

To set up a subdomain when using GoDaddy with Joomla follow these 5 steps.  This is for the example: forum.yourdomain.com

1. Log into your GoDaddy Account
  2. Go to My Hosting Account, and select 'Open' under Control Panel
  3. In your Control Panel (called the Hosting Manager Control Panel), select Domain Management
  4. Select the domain you want the subdomain to reference, and click the Add Subdomain link
  5. For Subdomain put (in this example): forum.  For Path select and type this over it: /forum.  Then click Save.

To set up a subdomain when using GoDaddy with Joomla for a Secondary Domain (in other words, a domain you've set up in your hosting account other than your Primary Domain), do 1-4 above and the following Step 5 instead. This is for the example:  yoursecondarydomain.com. We want to get to this forum by typing in forum.yoursecondarydomain.com, which will reference the directory path: /domain2 (yourdomain.com/domain2)

5. For Subdomain put (in this example): forum.  For Path select and type this over it: /domain2/forum.  Then click Save.  Then wait awhile before testing it, as it takes a bit to set it up. That's all there is to it.

When people type in forum.yoursecondarydomain.com they will be following this path: yourdomain.com/domain2/forum
For Some reason, I don't have the value applications icon in my hosting account under the content section. Am I just dumbfounded or do I need to upgrade my godaddy hosting account to install joomla right on to godaddy? Thanx very much. Also, is their any other way to complete an AUTOMATIC installation of Joomla to the godaddy hosting server. Thanks again.

-ET KWASS

kwasster07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kwasster07 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 am

kwasster07 wrote:

For Some reason, I don't have the value applications icon in my hosting account under the content section. Am I just dumbfounded or do I need to upgrade my godaddy hosting account to install joomla right on to godaddy? Thanx very much. Also, is their any other way to complete an AUTOMATIC installation of Joomla to the godaddy hosting server. Thanks again.

-ET KWASS
U think that maybe Hosting Metropolis is where I will find Joomla? I will check it out!!!

dayo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dayo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:06 pm

amu0373 wrote:
liten wrote: I was wondering if these instructions would be applicable to a windows hosting package on GoDaddy or do I have to switch over to their Linux one?
Windows Hosting plan runs ASP. Joomla needs PHP in order to run so your stuck to Linux. You can easly (and for free) convert your current hosting plan from Windows to Linux from the GoDaddy control panel.
Hi, i got a windows hosting plan in godaddy and wanna to switch it to Linux in order to setup Joomla. I am a newbie. Can anyone give me some instructions where exactly can i convert my current hosting plan to Linux from Godaddy control panel??

Thanks in advance.

info.kiki
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by info.kiki » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:39 pm

thanks!! this was so easy that it's hard to imagine it would have been difficult without. but struggling experiences with similar things in the past, make me realize it just means that the tutorial is great!!  ;)

dekstrom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dekstrom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Where is the link to the install instructions?  Can't find it :(

Would this manual help me with installing to a 1and1.com hosting site?

My plan is to setup a test site in one domain for me to work with joomla!, then port the entire site over to another domain.  Will this work?  Is that the best way to go about it?

dekstrom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dekstrom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Found the link (very small type at the bottom)

Found a doc on moving sites.

Thanks!

georgmorb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by georgmorb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:18 pm

[Global Mod Edit - Please stay on topic. Offtopic post replaced with this message - ChiefGoFor]
Last edited by ChiefGoFor on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgmorb

Uh-Oh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Uh-Oh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Just so everyone knows:

The manual was great man and it worked :) <3

However, if you go to the "Metropolis" via your hosting control panel on GoDaddy, go find Joomla, and click "Install". It will give you some forms to fill out, and then it will take about 30 minutes or so to install in the directory where you put it and your set.

Thanks for the manual still :)

imsagar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by imsagar » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:51 pm

Same as Uh-Oh above -> used the joomla link on Metropolis 2 days back and it worked a beauty - 30 mins max and there it was. Only three easy steps where you fill up some details such as admin name and password, name of SQL database and password in order to access it and that's about it! However can't help but say thanks for the manual as it helped too.

hollywood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hollywood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:31 am

I'm a newbie and my first post here so I hope it goes right...anyway i did my site on godaddy no problem except register_globals is on and I can't turn it off.  I thought it was because of shared hosting am I wrong? ???
Softwired - Content Management Websites with Joomla!
http://www.softwiredweb.com

Follow: http://twitter.com/tonysova

Uh-Oh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Uh-Oh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:40 am

Open your server in an ftp. Find the file "globals.php" open it using a text editor (anyone should do).

Change "register_globals 1" to "register_globals 0"

That will fix the problem :)

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:36 am

Hi all,

I'm probably going to create a new manual for installing Joomla 1.5 on GoDaddy, but...

I read a lot of posts in this thread about using the Application Vault of Godaddy or Metropolis to install Joomla on Godaddy. People seem confused why to do a manual installation if you can have an automatic one from GoDaddy it self.

I want to start setting up a list of reason why to do it yourself and hope other people following this thread can add their two cents.

Oke, this is why I like to do a manual installation of Joomla:
  • Complete control over the installation and all Joomla files.
  • Full access to the backend database. (If you do an installation from Metropolis you can't access the backend database, right?)
  • ...and
Cheers, Alex.

Uh-Oh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Uh-Oh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:43 pm

When you say backend database do you mean the MySQL database? Those you do have access to... Though I do agree it is nice to do it yourself, feels better and you trust it more :)

amu0373
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amu0373 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:47 pm

This wasn't the case with the older GoDaddy application vault. For Metropolis I was not sure...

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”