Testing JFTP - Your help needed...

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Testing JFTP - Your help needed...

Post by ianmac » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:33 am

Here is the unit test results from my proftpd testing.  All failed tests gave this similar report.

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:57 am

Failed for me

Fedora Core 4 server, running Plesk 8.1 and ProFTPD 1.3.0 from the RPM package psa-proftpd-xinetd-1.3.0-fc4.build80060613.20

Don't really understand the bit about FTP_NATIVE true and false, 'cos the output is EXACTLY the same regardless of how I set this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:17 pm

The Ray wrote: Failed for me

Fedora Core 4 server, running Plesk 8.1 and ProFTPD 1.3.0 from the RPM package psa-proftpd-xinetd-1.3.0-fc4.build80060613.20
Wow, that's quite impressive, just two posts and already a helping hand! Thanks :)

About your test results, I had expected them to be "a little bit" more like Ian's results from ProFTPd. I'll take a closer look later...
The Ray wrote: Don't really understand the bit about FTP_NATIVE true and false, 'cos the output is EXACTLY the same regardless of how I set this.
Have you commented out line 27 in /unittest/UnitTestController.php? (a little bit hidden in the first post of this thread...)

In general, here's the plan: I need to get some other tasks done first, and once they are done I'll take a closer look at the FTP stuff again, probably tomorrow. As you might have noticed, I have updated the list of test results yesterday (included the posted results from this thread, and ordered the list by server). First thing which should be fixed are the (newly introduced?) incompatibilites with PHP4, then I'll move on with ProFTPd, as that server seems to be very widely used. I might need access to one of those servers. Ian or Jonah, maybe one of you could give me a test account one one of your servers (only if it's a test server of course)? I consider other failing servers (only WU_FTP by now, as Jonah's VSFTPD is probably caused by using PHP4 and not by the server) to be of a lower priority. Please correct me if you think that the priorities should be different...
We may not be able to control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:20 pm

I should add that almost all of my results are from self-compiled binaries and not from distribution packages.  This may account for some of the difference.

Ian

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:39 am

friesengeist wrote:
The Ray wrote: Don't really understand the bit about FTP_NATIVE true and false, 'cos the output is EXACTLY the same regardless of how I set this.
Have you commented out line 27 in /unittest/UnitTestController.php? (a little bit hidden in the first post of this thread...)
I have indeed.  Let me know if there is anything more I can provide you with.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:28 am

The Ray wrote:
friesengeist wrote: Have you commented out line 27 in /unittest/UnitTestController.php? (a little bit hidden in the first post of this thread...)
With "'cos the output is EXACTLY the same regardless of how I set this", do you mean not a single byte has changed? Even the message at the top ("tests\libraries\joomla\client\ftp.php -> testofjftp -> testcredentialsavailable -> FTP_NATIVE mode is switched OFF") stays the same?

friesengeist wrote: [...] First thing which should be fixed are the (newly introduced?) incompatibilites with PHP4
Just tested FileZilla again with PHP 4.4.6, no problem here. Jonah, could you please make php4test.yourdomain.net point to VSFTPD 2.0.1, or post results of the failing test here, please? (If it does point to your VSFTPD server right now, then it should be a passing test, no?)

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:37 am

friesengeist wrote:
The Ray wrote:
friesengeist wrote: Have you commented out line 27 in /unittest/UnitTestController.php? (a little bit hidden in the first post of this thread...)
With "'cos the output is EXACTLY the same regardless of how I set this", do you mean not a single byte has changed? Even the message at the top ("tests\libraries\joomla\client\ftp.php -> testofjftp -> testcredentialsavailable -> FTP_NATIVE mode is switched OFF") stays the same?
Yep, not a single byte has changed.
I tried running the test with the last line of code in ftp.conf set to
!defined('FTP_NATIVE') && define('FTP_NATIVE', flase);
and then
!defined('FTP_NATIVE') && define('FTP_NATIVE', true);

Both of which gave the exact same output.  Am I going about this the right way?

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 pm

The Ray wrote: Yep, not a single byte has changed.
I tried running the test with the last line of code in ftp.conf set to
!defined('FTP_NATIVE') && define('FTP_NATIVE', flase);
and then
!defined('FTP_NATIVE') && define('FTP_NATIVE', true);

Both of which gave the exact same output.  Am I going about this the right way?
You're definitely on the right track...
Am I right in assuming that it's just a typo here on the forum, which you had not in your code: flase != false
Other than that, I would delete the "!defined('FTP_NATIVE') && " part, so that it's just the define(...). If the constant is already defined, which would be a reason why you can't change the setting, then you should see an error - something about "xyz already defined in...".

friesengeist wrote: Just tested FileZilla again with PHP 4.4.6, no problem here. Jonah, could you please make php4test.yourdomain.net point to VSFTPD 2.0.1, or post results of the failing test here, please? (If it does point to your VSFTPD server right now, then it should be a passing test, no?)
Jonah and I found the issue for this a few days ago: the unit test needs to transfer a local file via FTP, and retrieve it back to another local file. Previously, I created these files within the directory of the unit test, and deleted them why the test was finished. Turns out that this a bad idea if the web server has no write access to the directory of the unit test, of course. I've updated the test, so that it only needs write access to your temp directory.
BTW: this change should make the results from The Ray and Ianmac for ProFTPd 1.3.0 pretty similar.

About ProFTPd: I tested again against 1.2.10, the one server I have access to myself. Unfortunately, it seems that that host is pretty much overloaded, as the connection is sometimes refused, and simply closed other times, even before I can log in. Since I get that behavior with my "normal" FTP client as well, this must be host related... Time to change hosts, I guess :(

Anyway, that means that I don't have a ProFTPd test-server right now, and can't re-verify the results I got when I started that list...

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:36 am

Edgy Eft  Apache 2.0.55  5.1.6  WinXP  FileZilla0.9.23 BETA                      Pass  Pass  ianmac
Edgy Eft  Apache 2.0.55  5.1.6  WinXP  Global Scape Secure FTP Server    Fail    Fail  ianmac
      - Global Scape Fails with only one error: tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testChdirSuccess -> Not identical expectation [String: /Usr/ianmac] matches at line [297]
Edgy Eft  Apache 2.0.55  5.1.6  WinXP  Titan 5.37.387                      Fail    Fail  ianmac

Ian

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:45 am

ProFTPD still fails here.

First errors:

Code: Select all

tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Value [Boolean: false] should be type [array] at line [338]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Directory listing contains [.]? at line [339]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Directory listing contains [..]? at line [340]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Should be no errors at line [341]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Filename contains wrong DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR? [] at line [353]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Should be no errors at line [37]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Unexpected PHP error [JFTP::listNames: Bad response] severity [E_USER_WARNING] in [/var/www/joomla15/libraries/joomla/utilities/error.php] line [520]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Unexpected PHP error [JFTP::listNames: Bad response] severity [E_USER_WARNING] in [/var/www/joomla15/libraries/joomla/utilities/error.php] line [520]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Unexpected PHP error [in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument] severity [E_WARNING] in [/var/www/joomla15/unittest/tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php] line [339]
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testListNames -> Unexpected PHP error [in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument] severity [E_WARNING] in [/var/www/joomla15/unittest/tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php] line [340]
Ian

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:58 pm

OK, I have checked out the latest version from SVN.

At first I couldn't configure it, cos it wouldn't pick up my user credentials from the ftp.conf file I had created in unittest/tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.conf
But then I tried moving it to unittest/ftp.conf

And the test passes with FTP_NATIVE mode switched OFF
But fails when it is switched ON

I have attached the output of the failed test case

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:53 pm

ianmac wrote: Edgy Eft  Apache 2.0.55  5.1.6  WinXP  Global Scape Secure FTP Server    Fail    Fail  ianmac
      - Global Scape Fails with only one error: tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> TestOfJFTP -> testChdirSuccess -> Not identical expectation [String: /Usr/ianmac] matches at line [297]
That should go away once you run the test in /Usr/ianmac/SomeSubDir, i'll add a notice the the test case with the next commit.

The Ray wrote: At first I couldn't configure it, cos it wouldn't pick up my user credentials from the ftp.conf file I had created in unittest/tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.conf
But then I tried moving it to unittest/ftp.conf
I'll make the test case use absolute paths with the next commit, so that this doesn't happen again... You will then need to move the ftp.conf file back to the subdirectory where you had it before.
The Ray wrote: And the test passes with FTP_NATIVE mode switched OFF
But fails when it is switched ON

I have attached the output of the failed test case
Now that looks strange, especially since it's a difference between the emulated mode and the native mode. We'll figure this out somehow... ;)

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Thu May 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Any word on this Enno?  Let me know if I can help with anything.

Ian

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Sun May 06, 2007 12:43 am

ianmac wrote: Any word on this Enno?  Let me know if I can help with anything.
Well, your different ProFTPD versions are giving me a hard time :P At this point, I'm wondering if this might be related to some network devices like active firewalls - translating FTP commands and IP adresses...? Here's the problem: the return code from the ProFTPD servers for the "PASV" command returns a null-byte at the very end, which completely confuses the PHP FTP functions as well as the emulated FTP functions. Now there is one thing which is really weird about this: it also happens for ProFTPD 1.3.1rc2, which supposedly passes when you test it. Would you mind running the test on 1.3.1rc2 again?

I guess I won't get around setting up a local ProFTPd server :P

Now about wu-ftpd: there are two things not "OK" with that server. One can easily be corrected by us (not really a bug in Joomla!, but also not a bug in the server - RFC959 is just too loose). The second problem is caused by not adhering to the standard (I wonder how there can be software which is still not compliant to a standard that was created more than 20 years ago!). We could also work around that, but I don't know if we really should - I'll talk to Louis about that tomorrow. (BTW, ProFTPD does the same thing, except that it tries to stick a little bit more to the standard).

Your Global Scape Server should be fine now, or at least the error message now asks you to test a different subdirectory.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Sun May 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Progress, thanks to Ian and his variety of FTP servers :)

At first, some technical details:
1.)
There is at least one server (ProFTPd 1.2.9) which is "at least a bit" standards compliant. For a NLST command on an empty directory, it returns code "450 No files found", which is allowed as a failing return code as per RFC959. It would be bad if Joomla! would return this "failure" to the calling application, since it's not really a failure. There are more servers which do this, with the difference that some other servers return wrong return codes, like "550", which is not allowed. Normal FTP clients seem to get around this by not using NLST, but LIST (which returns more details) all the time.

To get the same behavior for all (more or less correct, like ProFTPd 1.2.9) FTP servers, I decided to call LIST whenever NLST fails. When LIST succeeds with an empty return set, we are operating on an empty directory. Since this is only done when NLST fails, this is very little overhead, and assures common behavior.

As a side effect, this also corrects the mistakes of the many other servers which are not at all RFC959 compliant (like the second problem in wu-ftpd from my previous post).

2.)
wu-ftpd returns the output from "ls -la", including the line "total 1234" at the beginning. Now since the output from the LIST command "may be hard to use automatically in a program, but may be quite useful to a human user", I consider this as a valid response which we should recognize. The current implementation might cause problems on wu-ftpd servers in a different language, we'll just have to wait and see if that really is the case.

Enough of the technical details...
Basically, this means that from now on, all ProFTPd servers and the wu-ftpd server should pass the test ;)
(Changes were made to both the unit test as well as the FTP library).

@The Ray, could you please test your ProFTPd server again?
@lamad, could you please test your PHP4 servers again?
@Ian, although I already tested your wu-ftpd and proftpd servers, it would be good to have this done independently once more, if you don't mind?
@Schlu, if I remember correctly, you also had one ProFTPd server?

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon May 07, 2007 2:53 am

Hey, Here are my results:

Proftpd Off On
1.2.10 Pass Pass
1.2.10RC1 Pass Pass
1.2.10RC3 Pass Pass
1.2.5 Pass Pass
1.2.6 Pass Pass
1.2.8 Pass Pass
1.2.9 Pass Pass
1.3.0 Pass Pass
1.3.0a Pass Pass
1.3.1RC2 Pass Pass

Pureftpd
1.0.18 Pass Pass
1.0.19 Pass Pass
1.0.20 Pass Pass
1.0.21 Pass Pass

VSFTPD
2.0.5 Pass Pass

WU-FTPD
2.6.2 Pass Pass

Everything is done on FC5.  PHP 5.1.6

Ian

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Mon May 07, 2007 10:25 am

Still passes with FTP Native off and fails with FTP Native On.

Here's the file.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Mon May 07, 2007 12:45 pm

ianmac wrote: Hey, Here are my results:
Great, the list is showing more green fields than red fields - finally :)
The Ray wrote: Still passes with FTP Native off and fails with FTP Native On.

Here's the file.
Oh, I had it in the list the wrong way before, native passing and emulated failing. Now since it's the native mode which is failing, and just one function (well, one out of two possible functions), could you please let us know your PHP version? Maybe you are using a version with a known bug, there are quite a few on the PHP bug tracker.

Schlu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Schlu » Mon May 07, 2007 2:56 pm

@Schlu, if I remember correctly, you also had one ProFTPd server?
Yepp, but a few days later my host switched to pureftp. I think in 2-3 weeks I can do a fresh setup on my testserver. Will do some testing then if required.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Mon May 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Schlu wrote: Yepp, but a few days later my host switched to pureftp. I think in 2-3 weeks I can do a fresh setup on my testserver. Will do some testing then if required.
Don't worry about it then, as we already have so many green test results on ProFTPd :)

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon May 07, 2007 6:08 pm

okay...  I installed XAMPP on my feisty box to do some testing with PHP4...  looks like there is still a bit of a snag...

XAMPP 1.6.1 test from Feisty/XAMPP
PHP 4.4.6 Apache2
ProFTPd
1.2.10 Fail Fail 1 error - line 576
1.2.10RC1 Fail Fail "
1.2.10RC3 Fail Fail "
1.2.5 Fail Fail "
1.2.6 Fail Fail "
1.2.8 Fail Fail "
1.2.9 Fail Fail "
1.3.0 Fail Fail "
1.3.0a Fail Fail "
1.3.1RC2 Fail Fail "

PureFTPD Fail Fail "
WSFTPD Fail Fail "

They all fail on line 576:
tests/libraries/joomla/client/ftp.php -> testofjftp -> testrename -> Identical expectation [Boolean: true] fails with [Boolean: false] as [Boolean: true] does not match [Boolean: false] at line [576]

And that is the only error on all of them.

Again:
Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.4 OpenSSL/0.9.8e PHP/4.4.6 mod_apreq2-20051231/2.5.7 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.7

Ian

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Mon May 07, 2007 6:50 pm

okay...  scratch some of those results...

it turned out that was rename it was testing...  somehow, somewhere, a file got left behind in the directory I was testing in.  Proftpd seems to pass now - tested 1.3.0.  Will spot test a few others in a moment, don't have time to retest all of them though right now.
Tested:
1.2.10 - Pass
1.3.0 - Pass
Pureftpd 1.0.18 - Pass
Pureftpd 1.0.21 - Pass
vsftpd 2.0.5 - Pass

WU_FTPD fails...  Lines 636, 637, 649 and 650 - seems to be the same errors twice.

I tried to manually create the directory, and it seemed to work fine.  My guess is that listNames doesn't properly parse directory listings with wu_ftpd, which I wouldn't be surprised if this is the result of the size total it includes at the beginning.

Ian

[EDIT: added pass where I forgot it above] also, note, my 'guess' above was based on the fact that I did a var_dump of the two returns and they both returned empty arrays.
Last edited by ianmac on Mon May 07, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Tue May 08, 2007 7:02 pm

friesengeist wrote: Oh, I had it in the list the wrong way before, native passing and emulated failing. Now since it's the native mode which is failing, and just one function (well, one out of two possible functions), could you please let us know your PHP version? Maybe you are using a version with a known bug, there are quite a few on the PHP bug tracker.
I'm running PHP version 5.0.4 (more specifically Fedora Core 4 RPM php-5.0.4-10.5)

SineMacula
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SineMacula » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:20 pm

I've been having some problems with the Joomla FTP (see http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=176303.0 ) and so I followed ianmac's suggestion of running the unittest for JFTP.

I'm attaching the output from that.

This is on a server running Mac OS X Server with PHP 5.1.2 running as Fast-CGI. I'm not sure what the ftp server is, but I would expect it might just be whatever is the default ftp server for Mac OS X.

I'm not sure what to make of the output... the last line says there were no errors, but there are several lines that appear to indicate a problem logging in.

SineMacula
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SineMacula » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:28 pm

I decided to run the test again, this time with the default PHP 4.4.2 running instead of the PHP 5 CGI...

The results look worse... which seems odd to me since within Joomla I'd been able to install components fine when in PHP4 but not in PHP5.

I'm attaching the results.

friesengeist
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by friesengeist » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi SineMacula,

thanks for your test results! :)
SineMacula wrote: I've been having some problems with the Joomla FTP (see http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=176303.0 ) and so I followed ianmac's suggestion of running the unittest for JFTP.

I'm attaching the output from that.

This is on a server running Mac OS X Server with PHP 5.1.2 running as Fast-CGI. I'm not sure what the ftp server is, but I would expect it might just be whatever is the default ftp server for Mac OS X.

I'm not sure what to make of the output... the last line says there were no errors, but there are several lines that appear to indicate a problem logging in.
Indeed, the test passes, so your server *should* be compatible with Joomla!. The gray lines are just notices, nothing serious.
SineMacula wrote: I decided to run the test again, this time with the default PHP 4.4.2 running instead of the PHP 5 CGI...

The results look worse... which seems odd to me since within Joomla I'd been able to install components fine when in PHP4 but not in PHP5.
This seems to be just a issue with the unit test, using a file outside of the allowed paths:
Unexpected PHP error [file_get_contents(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/tmp/JoomlaUnitTest_9cvYSb) is not within the allowed path(s)
If you can't change the open_basedir restriction, I could send you a modified version of the test, which uses one of the allowed folders.

Any chance of finding out which server is running on your Mac? Maybe by connecting with a normal FTP client to your server?[me=friesengeist]is not a Mac user, no idea which FTP servers and clients are used[/me]

SineMacula
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SineMacula » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:13 am

I'm afraid I don't have access to the php.ini file for PHP4, so I can't change the open_base restriction.

Regarding the ftp server and clients on Mac... I've used a few different clients for ftp access to the server without any problems.

Is there a terminal command I could run to get it to tell me what the ftp server version is?

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:03 pm

yeah...  if you go to the terminal, you should be able to go:

ftp

then it should come up with a login string something like:

:/var/www/j15$ ftp 192.168.1.102
Connected to 192.168.1.102.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.4)
Name (192.168.1.102:ianmac): 
The server in this case is vsFTPd 2.0.4

Ian

SineMacula
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by SineMacula » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Okay...

It looks to me like it's PureFTPd

220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 11:30. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Name (•••••••••••••.com:••••): •••••••
331 User ••••••• OK. Password required
Password:
230-User ••••••• has group access to:  staff   
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> 

The Ray
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by The Ray » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I just downloaded Joomla 1.5 RC1 and I'm still having the same problems with the FTP stuff.  Are the issues likely to be addressed in time for 1.5 stable?

Thanks

Ray

Return to “Quality and Testing - Locked and Archived”